Are carbs really the cause of weight gain (keto question)?

Options
I have been on again off again with Keto for the last couple of months and it's hard. I am starting to get discouraged. A friend of my Mom's stopped by last night and she looks marvelous having obviously lost a ton of weight and she says she does not count carbs at all. So I guess I am confused more than anything. Do carbs really matter or not? If they don't matter, then why do so many people swear to me that they do? There is so much conflicting info on the app, so how do I know who is right.

Replies

• Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Here's a review - it's a bit old (2009) but the results are still current: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2763382/
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Vegetables = carbs..
    They're not the reason people don't lose weight.
    Unless they only eat carbs and can't control their calorie intake when they are starving.

If keto isn't working for you, find a new way!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I have been on again off again with Keto for the last couple of months and it's hard. I am starting to get discouraged. A friend of my Mom's stopped by last night and she looks marvelous having obviously lost a ton of weight and she says she does not count carbs at all. So I guess I am confused more than anything. Do carbs really matter or not? If they don't matter, then why do so many people swear to me that they do? There is so much conflicting info on the app, so how do I know who is right.

There is a lot of conflicting information all over the place about weight loss. Lots of individual studies have found minor effects from various things like keto, intermittent fasting, etc. There is not a lot of confirming evidence for differences made by any of these. The one thing that does matter is calorie control. The rest is just tweeking that may or may not have an effect beyond that produced by the placebo effect or water retention. For the most part, the effects, if any, are quite minor.

@bgctrinity wrote that her edema seems linked to her consumption of carbs and that can be the case just like my appetite is piqued by the consumption of artificial sweeteners. We each learn what works for us and our own peculiarities. You have learned that keto is not your shtick.

You can change what you follow in your diary. I have mine display protein because I trend low, saturated fat because I trend high, sodium to aim low for blood pressure and potassium to aim high. Finally, I follow fiber to remind myself to get some. You can also set your goals for each depending on what you use as your source. For example, I have sodium set to the very low American Heart Association recommendation for people over 60.

I consider all these to be targets that help me aim toward healthier eating. Now, if I could only display a daily 'standard servings of vegetables" counter it would really help me aim toward a daily 5-7!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Dear Posters,

Please feel free to continue to help the OP with their original question. Please keep the MFP guidelines in mind and make sure your posts remain respectful towards others.

If you need to review the MFP guidelines they can be found here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Sincerely,
    4legs
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I lost 75 pounds eating all kinds of carbs, but eating fewer calories than I burned.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    excess calories make you fat...not carbs...or id be the size of a small house. Vegans eat the highest carbs i believe and their the portion of the population who tend to be at lowest BMI...just saying