Running outside versus treadmill running

Options
Hi there, I had a wake up call today, I've been running on the treadmill for the last couple of months and had built up to a pretty decent speed. but today I tried taking my run outside and it totally kicked my butt. I was having a hard time running against the wind and my speed was not very great. any tips from all you runners?

Replies

• willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I had a wake up call today, I've been running on the treadmill for the last couple of months and had built up to a pretty decent speed. but today I tried taking my run outside and it totally kicked my butt. I was having a hard time running against the wind and my speed was not very great. any tips from all you runners?
  • Tvo68
    Tvo68 Posts: 1
    Options
    Did the same myself a few years ago when I started running. No problem on the treadmill, felt ok on a 5 mile run outdoors, but legs were very sore for days after the run as it obviously uses different muscles. They say to set the incline about 1% to 1.5% up to simulate the extra bit of effort required for outdoor running. The wind is an invisible hill, hard work to run or bike against but great behind you. Either way on the treadmill your still burning calories and get cardiovascular fit so keep it up and enjoy..
  • DMORTIFF
    DMORTIFF Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I only run on the treadmill in case of emergency like inclement weather, but when i do I put the incline to at least 2.5 simulating the raod run and I try and do more than the treadmill like the elipticle, and bicycle. There is no substitute for the road in my book.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I've been running on the treadmill for the last couple of months, but the gym closed early due to weather on Thursday. So I took my run outside (not exactly smart because it was slushy and cold...aka the gym was closed). I found that I could not maintain speed and the next day my legs were SO sore. But, my heart-rate monitor indicated that my effort level was about the same as in the gym.

I've heard the 1.0 to 1.5% incline to compensate for the ease of the treadmill, and after what happened on Thursday, I've taken that to heart.
    :heart:
  • sanifrey
    sanifrey Posts: 2,355 Member
    Options
    This is so good to know!! Sounds like I need to move my workouts to the road for a bit of a challenge!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I remember reading a thread by Banks awhile back. I will see if I can find it.

He mentioned that any exercise that uses the human body as its own resistance, will be more effective than a simulator.

I, of course, tested this theory. That is what I do.

I did 2 miles fast walk on the treadmill, then went to the park the next day.

What I noticed was my body had a different 'push off " on real ground. There was nothing motivating me (ie fast moving belt beneath my feet!) to go forward but ME!.

Also I had to balance. Each step my foot was in a bit different position, thus making my body balance out and adjust. I was sore in places I had not been before! (including my sides??)

I live in FLA so have the option of walking outside on most days, but I now only use the treadmill when I am really not motivated-because I know it will INSIST I keep going!
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    This is part of the reason I hate treadmills. That and the boredom factor. Because I am not a fast runner, I try to pick a course with a lot of hills. I can then burn more calories at my own pace. I do notice that wind resistence can make a major difference. I used to live near Lake Ontario and my 5K times varied so much mainly due to wind conditions.
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you did things just right by starting off on the treadmill and working your way up to running outdoors. Just keep working on it and it'll get easier. The other thing I notice besides that the treadmill is easier, is that I ALWAYS run faster in a race than I ever do during a daily workout. It doesn't matter if the course is hard and hilly, I just do better. That's why I think it's good to enter a race event every so often. Good luck!:flowerforyou: