Am I doing it wrong?

Options
Hello,

I just started a diet and im trying to hit 1200 calories each day but i dont reach the 1200. I eat around 1000 and i feel full (protien. Carbs. Fat all taken in!). I also do sports... i try to stick to 3 times a week- sometimes i go to the gym sometimes i dont... but when i do- the estemated calories burned are around 300.

Am i starving myself? Is this bad?

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are starving yourself.

What are your stats? Age, height, weight. And what did you selected as your weekly weight loss goal? Unless you are very short, very old, or both, 1200 cals is likely too aggressive, and 1000 definitely is. It is very difficult to meet your nutritional requirements on so few calories. You're also not fuelling your activity adequately on that calorie intake. Persistent undereating will also lead to a whole host of other problems over time.

Have you cut a whole lot of foods you consider 'bad' out of your diet? This is a fairly common mistake with those starting out. Essentially, you can eat anything, so long as it fits your calories, though obviously for good health and nutrition most of your foods should be coming from nutritious, whole food sources.

Some things that you can add that are both nutrient and calorie dense include full fat dairy, avocado, nuts and nut butters, oils in cooking and salads. This post contains a list of other suggestions: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

Have a read of the 'most helpful posts' listed here too: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads#latest
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    You may feel okay at first but eating so few calories you risk losing muscle as well as fat - remember your heart is also a muscle! You also risk hair loss and other side effects. As others have said, try eating some of the foods you enjoy but may have cut from your diet.
  • RulaAsaad
    RulaAsaad Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for all those replies!! Here is more information about me:

I'm 23, 155 cm, 55 kg.
    At age of 13, I gained between 10 and 15 kg in one year. That year, aside from growing up, I stopped eating breakfast and started having 3 lunches but only after 3PM. 5 years after that, and for one year only, i stuck to a normal lifestyle: breakfast, luch, dinner and i played tennis at high school- i got down from 60kg to 52 and was so happy with myself.

However after that year i got back to bad lifestyle and ended up having iron deficiency anemia. I got over it but I still eat only one meal a day- usually around 7PM and not doing any sports but still have a fatty body.

My goal is to lose fat and shape my body. i gotta admit i am very lost and i'm trying to help myself the best way i can (dietitian at the clinic refused to help me :| ).... soo... I will take any advice you give me. you obviously very good at what you guys are doing :))) thank you all so much!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    No I never reach my caloric goal I think if you reach your goal everyday you maintain the weight I think if you stay a little away from it you will definitely lose faster eat when your hungry if not don't also put your workouts in there to

@biglouie7504

Sorry my dear but you have no idea what you are talking about, 1200 is the absolute min for a female to eat and by recommending that she stay a little away from it because shes going to maintain on 1200 is so far from true and potentially setting her up for major health problems.

Faster is not better, and YES put the workouts in, MFP is already giving her a deficit, shes SUPPOSED to be eating more.

just giving my opinion everybody in here is always in attack mode so its what'evs lol

Opinions are great.. but this is a help section not an opinion post. You have absolutely awful advice. And none of it is even remotely true.

Worst, the OP/Questioner appears to be a small female and the Responder appears to be a large male. Which makes the advice even worse.

300 calories for the OP is 25% of her daily calories.

300 calories for louie is probably less than 8%.
  • Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Just as a disclaimer.. I'm not arguing with anyone here. OP at 55kg I'm not even sure why you are dieting. Eating healthy I get.. but you don't sound like you need to diet persay..

But I'm curious as to why so many ppl are saying 1000 is too low, when MFP itself says this if I try to log less than 1200 in a day as a guy...
    "For safe weight loss, the National Institutes of Health recommends no less than 1000-1200 calories for women and 1200-1500 calories for men."

Is this woo? help me understand pls kthx.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Fyreside wrote: »
    Just as a disclaimer.. I'm not arguing with anyone here. OP at 55kg I'm not even sure why you are dieting. Eating healthy I get.. but you don't sound like you need to diet persay..

But I'm curious as to why so many ppl are saying 1000 is too low, when MFP itself says this if I try to log less than 1200 in a day as a guy...
    "For safe weight loss, the National Institutes of Health recommends no less than 1000-1200 calories for women and 1200-1500 calories for men."

At 61 inches and 110 lbs, OP may be OK at 1000 calories without exercise, but If she's actually doing 300 calories of exercise 3x weekly, that's probably pushing her to a deficit that will be counter to her goals(losing fat gaining muscle... shaping her body)

If anything, a small surplus and strength training would be beneficial.
  • Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    Options

At 61 inches and 110 lbs, OP may be OK at 1000 calories without exercise, but If she's actually doing 300 calories of exercise daily, that's probably pushing her to a deficit that will be counter to her goals(losing fat gaining muscle... shaping her body)

If anything, a small surplus and strength training would be beneficial.
    Ok fair enough, sounds sensible. Thanks.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

The lower end is okay for those who need to go that low because are short and sedentary. It does not include exercise. If she is eating 1000 and exercising for 300 calories she is netting 700 calories which is lower than any recommendation. Like @stanmann571 said, it's the worst thing to do for her goals.
  • gregproctor44
    gregproctor44 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    That's not accurate. You need to create a goal that has you in fat loss, that way when you are hitting your daily goals you are losing. A goal should only maintain your weight if maintenance is what you're after.
    No I never reach my caloric goal I think if you reach your goal everyday you maintain the weight I think if you stay a little away from it you will definitely lose faster eat when your hungry if not don't also put your workouts in there to