Am I doing it wrong?

Options
2»

Replies

• gregproctor44
    gregproctor44 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    How many calories a day were you eating prior to this diet? If you are eating that few calories a day I'd be willing to bet you need to add more calories for a while before dropping them again,
    rolaasad wrote: »
    Hello,

I just started a diet and im trying to hit 1200 calories each day but i dont reach the 1200. I eat around 1000 and i feel full (protien. Carbs. Fat all taken in!). I also do sports... i try to stick to 3 times a week- sometimes i go to the gym sometimes i dont... but when i do- the estemated calories burned are around 300.

Am i starving myself? Is this bad?

• gregproctor44
    Options
    No I never reach my caloric goal I think if you reach your goal everyday you maintain the weight I think if you stay a little away from it you will definitely lose faster eat when your hungry if not don't also put your workouts in there to

@biglouie7504

Sorry my dear but you have no idea what you are talking about, 1200 is the absolute min for a female to eat and by recommending that she stay a little away from it because shes going to maintain on 1200 is so far from true and potentially setting her up for major health problems.

Faster is not better, and YES put the workouts in, MFP is already giving her a deficit, shes SUPPOSED to be eating more.

just giving my opinion everybody in here is always in attack mode so its what'evs lol

Opinions are great.. but this is a help section not an opinion post. You have absolutely awful advice. And none of it is even remotely true.

That's the problem with this page. People get MFP and think they are nutritionists now.
  • gregproctor44
    Options
    MFP is horrible for this. You need to calculate your own calories and macros based on your daily energy expenditure, weight loss (or gain) goals, etc. MFP is notorious for giving ridiculously lows caloires and way out of whack macros.
    Fyreside wrote: »
    Just as a disclaimer.. I'm not arguing with anyone here. OP at 55kg I'm not even sure why you are dieting. Eating healthy I get.. but you don't sound like you need to diet persay..

But I'm curious as to why so many ppl are saying 1000 is too low, when MFP itself says this if I try to log less than 1200 in a day as a guy...
    "For safe weight loss, the National Institutes of Health recommends no less than 1000-1200 calories for women and 1200-1500 calories for men."

Is this woo? help me understand pls kthx.

• gregproctor44
    Options
    I'm happy to help if you want to friend request and send a message.
    rolaasad wrote: »
    Thank you all for all those replies!! Here is more information about me:

I'm 23, 155 cm, 55 kg.
    At age of 13, I gained between 10 and 15 kg in one year. That year, aside from growing up, I stopped eating breakfast and started having 3 lunches but only after 3PM. 5 years after that, and for one year only, i stuck to a normal lifestyle: breakfast, luch, dinner and i played tennis at high school- i got down from 60kg to 52 and was so happy with myself.

However after that year i got back to bad lifestyle and ended up having iron deficiency anemia. I got over it but I still eat only one meal a day- usually around 7PM and not doing any sports but still have a fatty body.

My goal is to lose fat and shape my body. i gotta admit i am very lost and i'm trying to help myself the best way i can (dietitian at the clinic refused to help me :| ).... soo... I will take any advice you give me. you obviously very good at what you guys are doing :))) thank you all so much!

• davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My experience is that the majority of dieters are not accounting for their calories properly, some of the common mistakes:
    • Not knowing that menu/signboard calories in restaurants only include the entree and not the sides.
    • Forgetting to account for cooking oils used.
    • Mis-measuring food.
    • Using the 'raw' items on MFP when the food is cooked.
    • Using horrifically incorrect items from the MFP food database which have impossible nutrient counts.
    • Forgetting to include things like milk and sugar consumed with coffee and tea.
    • Forgetting to add snacks or other food items.
    • Misunderstanding the portions listed in nutrition labels (ex: assuming the calories are for the whole bag of chips, when the listed calories are actually for 1/3 of the bag).

However, if we assume that you are counting the calories accurately and you are having trouble eating more than 1000 calories a day, here are a few ways you can add calories to what you are eating:
    • Add some sugar in your meal, be it in a beverage or in the food itself. Sugar helps the stomach relax and stretch, which is why people always have room for dessert.
    • Add additional fat to your meal, for example, use an oil based salad dressing on salads to add a lot of calories without significantly changing the volume of food that you are eating.
    • Keep some snacks around you throughout the day.
    • Keep a regular eating schedule (eat your main meals at the same times daily).
    • Chop your food into smaller pieces so that you can consume your food faster but in a more easily digestible form.
    • Include some carbs, like a multigrain baguette in your meals. Bread takes little room and can be quite calorie dense.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Just as a disclaimer.. I'm not arguing with anyone here. OP at 55kg I'm not even sure why you are dieting. Eating healthy I get.. but you don't sound like you need to diet persay..

But I'm curious as to why so many ppl are saying 1000 is too low, when MFP itself says this if I try to log less than 1200 in a day as a guy...
    "For safe weight loss, the National Institutes of Health recommends no less than 1000-1200 calories for women and 1200-1500 calories for men."

Just to add to the answers you already got, that 1000-1200 is the bare minimum for the shortest, most sedentary women/men. Just because it's enough to not be dangerous for those individuals doesn't mean it's optimal or even recommended. That message is pretty much MFP covering it's heiny so no one can accuse it of supporting someone starving themselves to lose weight or suffering from an ED. :drinker:
  • Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    So.... Now I'm wondering if I'm starving myself hahaha. hmm. See, I'm not a patient person. So when I decide to do something I want results. But I'm not actually trying to do myself harm. And it's possible I've been placing a little too much stock in the numbers MFP gives me. But I won't hijack OP's thread. I'm off to do some more reading.
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    Options

No, these recommendations are backed by rigorous scientific study. Generally speaking, they notice that people consuming less than this for a wide range of reasons tend to pick up health problems.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    So, as a point of interest, I took the liberty to run her TDEE numbers (23yo 5'1" - 110lb female):

Basal Metabolic Rate 1,191 calories per day
    Sedentary 1,430 calories per day
    Light Exercise 1,638 calories per day
    Moderate Exercise 1,847 calories per day
    Heavy Exercise 2,055 calories per day
    Athlete 2,264 calories per day

So, this is a starting point.....and, like I almost always say, since this is based on a formula and is not specific to any one person, please consider it as such (read: a starting point).

Just thought that it might not be a bad idea to see these numbers.....

Edited (3:44PM) - and your BMI value puts you in the 'normal' range (based on the details that you provided). So, everything looks 'within range' from a numbers perspective. But, as we all know, that is simply the start.

If you want to tone up, then I would highly suggest that you start a training program. Something like 'Strong Curves'.....but, there are a lot of programs that might help you.
  • Lesscookies
    Lesscookies Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Yes you're doing it very wrong you're at a healthy weight and eating less 1000 calories ? I'm curious about how you came you up with this number. If you're using a food scale and this is the calories you're eating I would say stop!! I would recommend eating at maintenance calories, and starting a progress weight lifting to tone up if that's your goal. If it's not our goal it wouldn't hurt to add that into your workout.

Good luck!!