Meal Prep containers

Options
So I'm working on prepping meals, and I'm looking for containers. I prefer glass, as the heating and reheating of plastic doesn't sit well with me and I just feel that glass is more durable.

On that note, does anyone have recommendations? I have a set of Pyrex in my cart on Amazon currently but I'm wondering if someone with more experience than me would like to put in their 2 cents before I check out.

7z4ysatx92z5.png

Replies

• iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    576y752jg3r6.png
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    That looks like a very useful set. A set of the navy topped round ones were part of hubby's "trousseau" and I use them for all sorts of things. If we didn't have such a miscellaneous collection of glass mongrels in the house I'd be ordering that set you show!

We were both 54 and never married when we met. When we combined kitchens we had, among other things, seven colanders! We've been shedding kitchen stuff ever since!
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    Options
    That looks like a very useful set. A set of the navy topped round ones were part of hubby's "trousseau" and I use them for all sorts of things. If we didn't have such a miscellaneous collection of glass mongrels in the house I'd be ordering that set you show!

We were both 54 and never married when we met. When we combined kitchens we had, among other things, seven colanders! We've been shedding kitchen stuff ever since!

The boy and I will be cohabitating come January, we are gonna have 2 kitchens worth of stuff to condense. But, meal containers aren't something we have a ton of. ;)
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I have those Pyrex containers and they’re great! I grew up with plastic containers and when I met my husband, his parents had the glass Pyrex ones, and I immediately went out and bought my own. It’s been over 10 years now and they’re still all in great shape. We use them every day.
  • Bouteloua1234
    Bouteloua1234 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've had a couple of those, but found them hard to use when I was carrying lunch to work because they would leak in my bag. I prefer the ones with locking lids - I can have even really liquidy food on it's side and not had it leak. Sweethome reviews the different types here: http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-food-storage-containers/
    The ones I use I bought at costco but they look really similar to the top ranking ones on sweethome.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

I LOVE those 1 cup pyrex cups for yogurt, cottage cheese, chili. (Much easier to clean - nothing cooks into the container material, doesn't float with a bunch of other containers on top of the sink full of water, no extra work to get out soap residue taste). I've been meaning to pick up some 2-cup ones for soup and less-calorie dense stews and some entree ones.

(edited to remove quoted image)
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    So I'm working on prepping meals, and I'm looking for containers. I prefer glass, as the heating and reheating of plastic doesn't sit well with me and I just feel that glass is more durable.

On that note, does anyone have recommendations? I have a set of Pyrex in my cart on Amazon currently but I'm wondering if someone with more experience than me would like to put in their 2 cents before I check out.

7z4ysatx92z5.png

What's the link to this set?
  • vlnielsen519
    vlnielsen519 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Nice set. I’d consider getting additional portion sized containers. Make life easier when you’re in a hurry. Just throw one in your lunch or microwave and you’re good to go!
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »

7z4ysatx92z5.png

What's the link to this set?

https://www.amazon.com/Pyrex-Piece-Simply-Store-Storage/dp/B0157G34AY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1509376143&sr=8-3&keywords=pyrex+storage+set
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    If you want to microwave directly in the containers and are concerned about BPAs, glass or ceramics are a good choice.

Personally, I use plastic to store ( I buy BPA free ), and transfer to another vessel for reheating. Its less expensive, and they tend to take up less storage space in the cupboard when not in use. I do have a couple of Pyrex containers that were gifts, and they have worked well when I've used them.

I always find the sets to be deceiving ( glass or plastic ), because you tend to accumulate the small containers but never use them. This isn't really a factor with plastic, cause its cheap, but can be for glass. You might be better served to buy pairs/trios of the mid size units, instead of some 24-40 count bundle that has 1 cup units in it.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    The six cup rectangle Pyrex fits perfectly in igloo the take along. It’s great for meals and big salads.

(EDIT: igloo “leftovers tote” the six cup Pyrex fits perfectly on the bottom with room for stuff on top. )

You can buy little plastic disposable dressing cups in the grocery store now, or in a lot of dollar stores in the party section. These helps so much for dressing and condiments.

I like the plastic screw on zip lock things for soup, and then I include a paper bowl, or Pyrex in there for heating.

I use the round Pyrex for cut fruit, or thick beans/ rice/potatoes. I put a piece of plastic wrap on top, before the lid, to help prevent leaks.
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    These are what I use

https://www.amazon.com/Glasslock-18-Piece-Assorted-Oven-Container/dp/B00LN810PM/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1509383727&sr=1-1&keywords=snaplock+glass+containers&dpID=51-9NFG3YCL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I also have pyrex ones like what you are looking at above (my rectangle has a purple lid and the small round on pic above with green lid), and they do fit in my meal prep bag a lot better. I just prefer the locking lids on the ones I pasted the link for. But both are great!
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    Options
    I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and order this. The little ones will be great for portioning sauces/dressings so I don't go overboard there and the big ones will be perfect for salads, I think. And for the price ($25) I think it's a great starter set.

I have a tendency to just throw the plastic ones away when my depression kicks in and it comes time to clean up. The glass ones will also hopefully instill better habits in me there as well.
  • Nixi3Knox
    Nixi3Knox Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I love the little Pyrex bowls. Anchor Hocking also has some very good ones. I always prefer glass to plastic because plastic can stain and peel and get generally nasty after a while. The glass bowls mentioned here are very durable and come in a variety of sizes. Another idea, don't be afraid to try canning jars. The short ones are very good for holding a single serving of something and the great part is, the lids are not prone to tearing or cracking like the rubbery ones that come with the Pyrex or Anchor containers. If the lids for canning jars rust out a new pack of lids is sold on store shelves.
  • krischmidt
    krischmidt Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you happen to have a Sam's Club membership, the above set is on sale currently for $15 with fresh shipping. I love my Pyrex so much I actually just purchased this set this morning.

https://samsclub.com/sams/pyrex-20pc-storage/prod6840030.ip?xid=plp:product:1:1
  • Nixi3Knox
    Nixi3Knox Posts: 182 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    krischmidt wrote: »
    If you happen to have a Sam's Club membership, the above set is on sale currently for $15 with fresh shipping. I love my Pyrex so much I actually just purchased this set this morning.

https://samsclub.com/sams/pyrex-20pc-storage/prod6840030.ip?xid=plp:product:1:1

The shipping stays fresh because of the containers! :D

But seriously, that is an excellent deal. It also has all the containers I wish I had more of. I have a Sam's membership. Maybe I'll order it!
  • elizabethmcopeland
    elizabethmcopeland Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I use what @rhenry2424 does;

I like pyrex, but the locking lids that glasslock features save my life.

You guys might have your lives in order that you can make sure those pyrex containers stay upright, but I've had a soggy bag one too many times.

• iamthemotherofdogs
    Options
    Man, that IS a great price. I don't have a Sam's membership but my Mama does.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I use Ziplocs in three sizes (snack, sandwich, and large). Freezer weight hold up better.
    Mason jars, two sizes.
    Collapsible silicon containers are cool.

I find the Pyrex to be too heavy.