How do you cope with depression?

Options
124»

Replies

• unfilterednate
    unfilterednate Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Most take medications. Is this the answer?

Coping with depression is a far older problem than the short term solution of man-made chemical alternatives to your own brain chemistry.. personally I would rather my brain chemistry be what it is and strive to work towards changing bad habits towards good habits and make myself feel better thru that struggle than paint my brain with chemicals that often times retards my own bodies natural processes to create similar horomones..

But that is just me.

I posted some non chemical coping mechanisms on the last page as well..
  • erica_today
    erica_today Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Run
  • momoftwins985
    momoftwins985 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid certain things that are my triggers when possible. Exercise only helps a little for me. But mostly, Zoloft. If it’s an episode where even medicine isn’t helping, I try to snuggle my kids as much as possible since they are a good reminder of why I have to keep going and not give into my thoughts.
  • MrSith
    MrSith Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Run
    this is the best that I have found......now I just need to find the time.......believe me I tried to make it with 3 jobs its hard lol.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with depression at different times in my life and I now realize it is only during those times when I am chasing after 'things.' When I chase after God I have an inexpressible joy that is hard to contain. I have made many mistakes in my life and I have tried it both ways and there is no comparison to what I have now. When your love for God is greater than your love for life, depression will not exist.
  • MrSith
    MrSith Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    pekovic_m wrote: »
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Most take medications. Is this the answer?

Coping with depression is a far older problem than the short term solution of man-made chemical alternatives to your own brain chemistry.. personally I would rather my brain chemistry be what it is and strive to work towards changing bad habits towards good habits and make myself feel better thru that struggle than paint my brain with chemicals that often times retards my own bodies natural processes to create similar horomones..

But that is just me.

This here is my philosophy. I've been coping with it for years now. I'd rather feel empty, like I'm drowning and deal with my thoughts on my own than live with emotional numbness that meds provide. I've been open about it online, and once again, I'm not a masochist. I was suicidal a few years ago, I hit the rock bottom more times than I can count on my both hands...Every few days I feel like I'm existing, but not living. Living with depression is hard. You feel like Sisyphus pushing a rock up a hill, and the agony never seems to stop; it does. It stops when you breathe in fresh air and refuse to surrender. Let me tell you something. Roughly 300 milion sperms fight their way through vagina and cervix, and those 200 that don't lose their way - reach the egg. Only one enters it - fertilization happens. Every sperm cell (from the same individual) is different, scientifically proven. You are special. You deserve to be here. You are a miracle. No matter what I'm going through I think of that. I never lose hope. It's not about destination, it's about journey. Happiness is what we all want, but that's not what we always get. You have to find joy in little things. That's why I'm in love with snow, rain, wind, rivers and seas...just nature. You are never alone, you have your heart and soul even when the brain "won't work." Find something that will make you feel alive.
    I could go on and on... Your happiness depends solely on you, not on others or situations that life puts you in.

I want to thank individuals that make my day a little brighter. They know who they are. You remind me of how great it is to smile and...ugh I love you all.

I agree, however, not everyone is as resilience as some of us. Not everyone has learn to craft appropriate/identify positive/healthy coping skills. Some need assistance until they tire of that numb feeling, the feeling of never truly being excited. The idea with depression is......you know it will eventually leave you and you will be happy sometime but you know it will come back but you will be prepared to deal with it accordingly.

We have to support each other at their stage of depression and not try to speed up their treatment without them being ready as failure will most certainly occur.
  • unfilterednate
    unfilterednate Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    fu ck the med-shaming some people need that to function and if it worked for me i’d pop pills and dance thru the day

Basically, this.
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I like to eat and sleep normally when I'm feeling in the dumps. Winter is the worst for me as the dark long days make me want to sleep all the time. I'm much better off if I get a good amount of exercise my wife tells me. I'd have to agree, when I play hockey or am training for a 10k, I find I'm in much better spirits. I suffer from a touch of anxiety as well which seems to stay in check with exercise and being more healthy. That being said when your a comfort food eater, the two kind of collide.
  • hargiebargie
    hargiebargie Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    fu ck the med-shaming some people need that to function and if it worked for me i’d pop pills and dance thru the day

Agree 100%. It isnt for me, but some people need it. I may too someday. I reserve it as an option.
  • LinFlemmer331
    LinFlemmer331 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Depression is tough. My best advice is to 1) go low carb and eat as clean and healthy as possible. Since joining MFP and eating healthy, Keto style, my depression is much less even though my circumstances are much worse. 2) I don't do this enough, but it helps...take a walk everyday. Getting out into the fresh air, & sunshine, and hopefully beautiful surroundings, makes you feel better. Exercise raises the feel good hormone. 3) make sure your sleep is regular and you get enough. I have a habit of staying up late when I'm depressed. Really need to work on that one. 4) Don't isolate yourself. This is another bad habit I have. But getting more social helps. Laughter is good medicine! 5) I haven't done this in some time, but being in service to others helps you put your sorrows in perspective. I wish you well! Good luck!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Exercise has helped me, even more with anxiety. I used to bottle everything up and never tell anyone about my depression. Now I have a few close friends that I talk to and they help, along with therapy. I also take Lexapro, but have gone from a higher dose to a lower dose and hopefully off at some point. Talking with the doctor about that and working with her to make sure it's the right time.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    I punch walls.....or people. :#
  • Speziface
    Speziface Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I invite it to the table.

Sounds weird, but I worked through a severe bout of clinical depression about 10 years ago. I got off the anti-depressants and sorted some things out, but also boosted my self-awareness. I'm no longer depressed but occasionally feel as if it might be knocking at the door. So when depressed thinking, or just a depressed mood, shows up, I let it in and have a little talk with it. But I don't just dismiss it; I treat it as a valid, if unwanted, part of myself and actively engage it. Not to banish it, but to understand it. And that minimizes the impact it has on me.

This strategy isn't for everyone, but it works for me.