Thinking of going vegan

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Unfortunately, there isn't a ton of research or at least comfirming research that supports following one way of eating to prevent or keep at bay cancer. Lots of anecdotes but there are a ton of different cancers and they can live/strive off of different fuel substrates. Some mlre research research i have seen would put Ketogenic towards the top as it relates to cancer, but that isnt preventative, but rather beneficial ij slowing the progression and helpful along with formal treatment.

Having said that, following a healthy lifestyle might be the best option. So eat whole foods that are nutrient dense and exercise. Outside of that, follow something that you find sustainable.
  • mooretamara56
    mooretamara56 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice here, thanks to everyone & for the kind words

You’re welcome. I hope you find the health you deserve. Eating vegan, in addition to very little oil, salt or sugar, really seems to be working for me. I’m very pleased with how healthy I’ve become and I plan to keep going.

As far as B12, my soymilk and nutritional yeast are fortified with B12, and my doctor checks my bloodwork regularly. So far it hasn’t been a problem. I seem to be doing really well and feel super healthy and energetic. Best wishes!
  • flowerhouse
    flowerhouse Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Unfortunately, there isn't a ton of research or at least comfirming research that supports following one way of eating to prevent or keep at bay cancer. Lots of anecdotes but there are a ton of different cancers and they can live/strive off of different fuel substrates. Some mlre research research i have seen would put Ketogenic towards the top as it relates to cancer, but that isnt preventative, but rather beneficial ij slowing the progression and helpful along with formal treatment.

Having said that, following a healthy lifestyle might be the best option. So eat whole foods that are nutrient dense and exercise. Outside of that, follow something that you find sustainable.

Thanks, having been through cancer, I wouldn’t rely on eating vegan to prevent reoccurrence as I agree there is very little evidence to support and tbh I wouldn’t want to be an experiment...
    I do keep a reasonably healthy lifestyle but think I could up my game a little.

My issue is the lymphodema that has resulted as a complication of the surgery - my r leg is currently 40-50% larger than my left - filled with free fluid and fat. There is a lot of medical evidence (not anecdotal) that eating vegan helps keep this in check, I am a natural meat eater so this would be huge for me to do, I am now thinking that I might go semi vegan to start as a gradual introduction and see if there is an improvement

Thanks again to everyone, the advice has been really helpful
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options

Thanks, having been through cancer, I wouldn’t rely on eating vegan to prevent reoccurrence as I agree there is very little evidence to support and tbh I wouldn’t want to be an experiment...
    I do keep a reasonably healthy lifestyle but think I could up my game a little.

My issue is the lymphodema that has resulted as a complication of the surgery - my r leg is currently 40-50% larger than my left - filled with free fluid and fat. There is a lot of medical evidence (not anecdotal) that eating vegan helps keep this in check, I am a natural meat eater so this would be huge for me to do, I am now thinking that I might go semi vegan to start as a gradual introduction and see if there is an improvement

Thanks again to everyone, the advice has been really helpful

Makes since, as a side note, you should probably say plant based. Vegan suggests a moral issue which includes not wearing or using anything made by animals.
  • mooretamara56
    mooretamara56 Posts: 5 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Or... Just eat and not say anything! The way eat doesn't need a name, just eat the foods you think will help you achieve your goals, whatever they happen to be :)

That’s a good point. I’ve really struggled with how to explain my eating in real life. If people ask how I lost weight I usually just say I’m running every day and I’m trying to eat healthy. If people ask me point blank if I’m vegan, I’ll just laugh and say, “Well, not really, I’m wearing leather flip flops.” I don’t really know what to say. I’ve heard ethical vegans get mad when nutrition vegans call themselves vegan.

And I’ve heard paleo people call themselves plant based, even though they still eat plenty of meat. So I give up. That’s why I usually just say I’m trying to eat healthy. If they want details I’ll add that I’m eating lots of vegetables and avoiding animal products and junk food.
  • flowerhouse
    flowerhouse Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Makes since, as a side note, you should probably say plant based. Vegan suggests a moral issue which includes not wearing or using anything made by animals. [/quote]

Thanks yes good point
  • SecretZombie
    SecretZombie Posts: 7 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    You might be interested in trying the 21-day whole food plant based food day challenge from UC Davis's Integrative Medicine Program.

http://ucdintegrativemedicine.com/optin/21day2017/?inf_contact_key=cde9787cf33f955f2237d7da648cd09092f026520fabe62bd6a03611ada70b41

It started today! They provide you with recipes and tips for Whole Food Plant Based living. I did this a couple years ago and loved it. Doing it again this year. The recipe book is awesome just to have even if you're not doing the challenge. Oh, and it is free.
  • TheGimp
    TheGimp Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you're on the fence at all, one option is to sort of go part-time vegan. I've been trying that more myself. Essentially, I try to have meat as little as possible, but I don't rule it out. I try to eat fish twice per week, but I don't bother with red meat any more. If I don't see something I like, I'll allow myself to eat chicken. I have only been eating pork if the boyfriend makes it, which is once every month and a half.

For the nay-sayers, I get it, I'm not really vegan, but it would be a method that can help a lot of meat eaters. I started with only Meatless Mondays, and then it's grown from there.

On protein, ever since I discovered Sweet Lupini Beans, protein is easier than ever to get into a meal. Granted, making them is a huge effort (5 days of repeated rinsing), so I make a lot in advance and freeze them, but I only have to add 1 - 2 ounces to a meal to add in the necessary protein that what I'm eating doesn't have. I'm pretty much set now for the next few months of meals with the beans I've already prepped.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    As a former vegan, I didn't find it very difficult to find alternatives to protein rich foods, but I also became iron deficient despite taking an iron supplement. The problem with plant based (non-heme) iron, is that it's not as readily absorbed by the body as animal based (heme) iron. Another issue that may come up is DHA and EPA fatty acid deficiency because most people have a difficult time converting plant based omega 3's (ALA) to their active form (DHA and EPA). Your best bet is to take an algae based omega 3 fatty acid and double your iron intake from plant based sources. Try to include lots of variety as well. I found myself eating beans, hummus and quinoa almost everyday and I got so sick of it, I've grown to dislike those foods. Try to avoid processed vegan foods too; just because it's vegan, doesn't mean it's healthy. I made this mistake at the beginning and ate too many oreos, french fries and other junk and my health definitely showed it. I eat vegan most days, but I do like to have a few eggs or some bison once or twice a week.

Ya, I can relate to your burning out on foods - I lived in vegetarian yoga retreat centers from 2001 - 2004 and to this day cannot stand the thought of tofu, which was a staple. Took about 10 years for me to be able to eat oatmeal again, and only rolled oats "cooked" in yogurt, not regular cooked oatmeal.

Now I'm curious as to why I never burn out on meat.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    ahrengirl wrote: »
    I went vegan at New Year’s and I haven’t looked back. I was constantly catching colds (2-3 x year) that developed into sinus infections with 2+ month long lingering coughs. I was known as the girl who was always sick.

I was traveling a lot and eating whatever I felt like. I now focus on building my immune system through eating a balanced vegan diet. Knock on wood, I’ve made it 10+ months without a cold still traveling 3 weeks a month. This is big. This time also includes a stint with my husband suffering from the stomach flu (highly contagious).

I dropped 30 pounds. It would be more if drank more water and less beer. My cholesterol dropped by 50 pts and my triglycerides cut almost in half. I am running another panel soon to monitor my lipids as well as iron and B12.

You can track your macros. There is some much good information out there in eating a healthy vegan diet. The main thing is to not feel like you “can’t” have some thing but rather you “choose” not to eat certain items. It’s your power.

I just ran into an older couple who choose to go vegan after he was diagnosed with bladder cancer. He is now cancer free and feeling the best he has in a long time. They’ve been vegan for 4 years.

I hope you are not suggesting the man's bladder cancer was cured by eating a vegan diet.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    People burn out on meat all the time. I know when I was a meat eater weight loss diets seemed like an endless stream of chicken. If I had eaten one more chicken breast I would probably have started clucking.

It's not foods people burn out on, I think. I think it's restrictions. We don't like feeling like we have no options.

I love oatmeal, but every so often I have to mix it up with a tofu scramble, a smoothie, or some fried potatoes. This morning I wanted soup, so I had soup. Even my oatmeal isn't always the same: my go-to is with apple, cinnamon, and walnuts, but I also make it with pumpkin or berries, or if I am extra hungry, with peanut butter and banana. Sometimes I throw in nutritional yeast and raisins, for a savory-sweet combo that I really like.

There's an endless variety of plant foods, and it's pretty easy not to burn out. On balance, I think I eat more creatively now than I ever have in my life.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    People burn out on meat all the time. I know when I was a meat eater weight loss diets seemed like an endless stream of chicken. If I had eaten one more chicken breast I would probably have started clucking.

It's not foods people burn out on, I think. I think it's restrictions. We don't like feeling like we have no options.

I love oatmeal, but every so often I have to mix it up with a tofu scramble, a smoothie, or some fried potatoes. This morning I wanted soup, so I had soup. Even my oatmeal isn't always the same: my go-to is with apple, cinnamon, and walnuts, but I also make it with pumpkin or berries, or if I am extra hungry, with peanut butter and banana. Sometimes I throw in nutritional yeast and raisins, for a savory-sweet combo that I really like.

There's an endless variety of plant foods, and it's pretty easy not to burn out. On balance, I think I eat more creatively now than I ever have in my life.

I don't see how eating meat means you can't have a varied diet. In fact, by including more foods in your diet you are creating more chances for variety than without.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    You are portraying me as saying something I didn't say.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Or... Just eat and not say anything! The way eat doesn't need a name, just eat the foods you think will help you achieve your goals, whatever they happen to be :)

That’s a good point. I’ve really struggled with how to explain my eating in real life. If people ask how I lost weight I usually just say I’m running every day and I’m trying to eat healthy. If people ask me point blank if I’m vegan, I’ll just laugh and say, “Well, not really, I’m wearing leather flip flops.” I don’t really know what to say. I’ve heard ethical vegans get mad when nutrition vegans call themselves vegan.

And I’ve heard paleo people call themselves plant based, even though they still eat plenty of meat. So I give up. That’s why I usually just say I’m trying to eat healthy. If they want details I’ll add that I’m eating lots of vegetables and avoiding animal products and junk food.

That hurts my head.

Also, when I describe my diet, I just say I "eat all the food" but I control quantity through calorie counting. It shocks people when they find that I kept off 50 lbs for 5 years and running by doing it.

Cake ist a flour based food. Doesn't mean it's only flour. So I can understand calling a diet that's mostly plants "plant based".