PCOS

Options
Do any ladies that are diagnosed with PCOS have any tips on how they are keeping their weight off? Do any of you take berberine and have noticed a difference? I was just diagnosed with PCOS and my weight has been fluctuating all over the place. I opted out of metformin.

Replies

• silverblaze55
    silverblaze55 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have PCOS, and insulin resistance and hypothyroid. Were you tested for those as well? They tend to go hand-in-hand with PCOS and contribute to weight difficulties. Metformin is used to treat the insulin resistance component specifically.

Never heard of Berberine, but I just looked it up and found: "Human and animal research demonstrates that 1500mg of berberine, taken in three doses of 500mg each, is equally effective as taking 1500mg of metformin". If that's true, and if you get a legit supplement... I don't know. It should help? Theoretically?
    I've been taking metformin for around 2 years, and I've never had side effects.

As far as keeping weight off: an insulin resistance-friendly diet is what I have to do. That is, minimal sugar and only certain types of carbs (ones that digest and turn into glucose slower). It's a *kitten*, but I maintained 150 for over 2 years (after losing 40lbs due to an unrelated illness) without even thinking about calories. I'm losing weight again now that I'm tracking and maintaining a deficit, but the IR diet is really not optional for me.

My insulin resistance seems to be pretty bad - you may not need to go the extremes that I do with the diet, especially if you're already a healthy weight. But thats what has been working for me.

• tkeeney4
    tkeeney4 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have PCOS, and insulin resistance and hypothyroid. Were you tested for those as well? They tend to go hand-in-hand with PCOS and contribute to weight difficulties. Metformin is used to treat the insulin resistance component specifically.

Never heard of Berberine, but I just looked it up and found: "Human and animal research demonstrates that 1500mg of berberine, taken in three doses of 500mg each, is equally effective as taking 1500mg of metformin". If that's true, and if you get a legit supplement... I don't know. It should help? Theoretically?
    I've been taking metformin for around 2 years, and I've never had side effects.

As far as keeping weight off: an insulin resistance-friendly diet is what I have to do. That is, minimal sugar and only certain types of carbs (ones that digest and turn into glucose slower). It's a *kitten*, but I maintained 150 for over 2 years (after losing 40lbs due to an unrelated illness) without even thinking about calories. I'm losing weight again now that I'm tracking and maintaining a deficit, but the IR diet is really not optional for me.

My insulin resistance seems to be pretty bad - you may not need to go the extremes that I do with the diet, especially if you're already a healthy weight. But thats what has been working for me.

I do have IR as well but I have noticed that cutting out the carbs and refined sugars I was eating helped a lot. I use to crave nachos or fries ALLL the time and It made no sense to me but I asked my dr about it and he told me to try cutting them out and I did & after my body adjusted to it - I haven't craved them once. So I definitely agree with you! It's hard to keep it balanced but I just got the berberine to give a try!
  • me0231
    me0231 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well. When I was first diagnosed I was put on metformin for IR, but I never felt good on it and eventually the doc and I decided it wasn't worth it. I've recently gone on keto as I've read so much about carbs, IR and keto and decided to give it a shot after a two months weight loss stall. So far I feel fantastic. I haven't craved any high carb foods I would usually want and I generally feel better. I think a lot of my symptoms were morning hypoglycemia related and keto has made a huge difference there. Very happy so far but it's only been a few weeks.
  • silverblaze55
    silverblaze55 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    @tkeeney4
    Sounds like you're familiar with everything I said up there then! Oops. :smile:

I had a similar thing with the food cravings. I found that if I could manage two or three weeks without sugar or bread/pasta, the cravings for those would stop. When I first started a cookie or a slice of bread was enough to trigger cravings again. Now I rarely get them, even if I slip on the diet.

@me0231
    I don't follow keto strictly, but from what I know about it, it is very similar to what I do. I think the main difference is I still eat oatmeal and quinoa.
    Getting my diet right has been the biggest help for my energy levels and mood. I definitely feel better all around too, and if I do start feeling tired and 'ehh' I can usually trace it back to something I ate that I shouldn't have. And being able to see that sugar=eehh pattern was the push I needed to commit to the diet lifestyle change.

Keep on keeping on!
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. I'm not on metformin though. I tried it, and it gave me low blood sugar all the darn time, which just led me to snacking constantly on sweet things. Instead I just try really hard to keep my sugar below 45 grams a day. I've also tried low carb and keto, but it made me crazy. So instead I opt for complex carbs whenever possible, usually in the way of beans, whole grains and vegetables.

Like @silverblaze55 said, once you figure out how to eat for the disorder, it makes everything easier. Anytime I go nuts on what I call "white carbs" or sugar, I usually get out of control with my eating and feel like crap afterwards, and then I don't want to do it again.

• me0231
    me0231 Posts: 218 Member
    Options

@me0231
    I don't follow keto strictly, but from what I know about it, it is very similar to what I do. I think the main difference is I still eat oatmeal and quinoa.
    Getting my diet right has been the biggest help for my energy levels and mood. I definitely feel better all around too, and if I do start feeling tired and 'ehh' I can usually trace it back to something I ate that I shouldn't have. And being able to see that sugar=eehh pattern was the push I needed to commit to the diet lifestyle

Seems to be the same for me now. Everything is more stable since I started to skip the carbs. Longterm I will likely do something like you, restrict carbs but not full keto. I also sleep better than I have in years. Wish I had known this 10 years ago when I was first diagnosed. Although I've probably read it before and thought, 'nah, I could never give up bread'. Lol
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Eat low-to-moderate carb and exercise about three times as much as a normal person.

I've been on Metformin for...15 years? Long enough that I cannot remember how long it has been. If you do need to try it, ask for the time-release version.
  • Raegold
    Raegold Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    PCOS here... tried metformin and didn't like it, I felt like I had low blood sugar all the time and felt more hungry. Low carb, whole foods works best for me, with low sugar, plus regular exercise. I'm human, so I don't always stick to it, but it works best for me. Ive accepted that I will have to work on this my whole life, so it's not something I can ever stop doing. If I start eating high carb, processed foods, I gain easily.
  • tkeeney4
    tkeeney4 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! I actually started Berberine and keto a week ago and am down 8 lbs since starting it! Probably just water weight rn but it seems to be going well!!
  • rawrrgenn
    rawrrgenn Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    For me, keeping away from sugary foods and drinks also keeps me steady on weight loss for the most part. I lost my first 35-40ish lbs on keto/low carb (about a year's time). I've been eating vegetarian for the past few months, and have lost about 15 lbs so far. Eating whole foods and as clean as possible has made me feel my best when I've done so. All the best!
  • jennydelgado09
    jennydelgado09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Recently found out i have PCOS. Explains why I've always struggled with my weight all my life. Until about 3 years ago. Weight training and high intensity workouts seem to have done the trick. I'm not where I want to be yet, but not where I use to be. And I've been able to keep it off
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Do some research into Inositol, it "may" have some benefit for pcos sufferers.
  • zeldon919
    zeldon919 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    PCOS here. On Metformin and Diane 35. Never had any side effects.

I've lost 40lbs in 2 years (took breaks but never gained back more than 5lbs).

I count calories but I do not restrict anything. I generally eat lower GI foods, but not only. I eat plenty of carbs, I just try to make them good ones. I don't have a huge sweet tooth (it goes away after a while), but do have one. I try to get a good amount of protein each day (from food, no supplements).