After a large workout

Zara11
Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
edited September 19 in Food and Nutrition
I got out of work early today, and was able to spend a fun, pumped two hours at the gym and burned 1k calories, which is what I try to aim for when I have the time to spare.

However, I was STARVING when I got out, and I rarely am EVER that hungry, even after such a satisfying workout. It caught me so off guard that after several very dumb choices (the majority of which I realized too late), I ate 2k today, and I try to aim for 1200 calories a day.

So, my question: if I'm going to have a big workout, what kinds of foods and snacks should I have around me to avoid ODing on pasta, bread, etc., that will still satisfy?

Thanks!

Replies

• Zara11
    I got out of work early today, and was able to spend a fun, pumped two hours at the gym and burned 1k calories, which is what I try to aim for when I have the time to spare.

However, I was STARVING when I got out, and I rarely am EVER that hungry, even after such a satisfying workout. It caught me so off guard that after several very dumb choices (the majority of which I realized too late), I ate 2k today, and I try to aim for 1200 calories a day.

So, my question: if I'm going to have a big workout, what kinds of foods and snacks should I have around me to avoid ODing on pasta, bread, etc., that will still satisfy?

Thanks!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    water...16 ounces to slow you down and hydrate...but I know that pumped feeling whether cardio or weights....a protein shake is a good idea..or some cottage cheese....get some fuel in you but dont just start eating...stay focused...that first 16 oz of water helps you focus as a goal to get by...drink your eater then decide what to eat
  • Sheri4MS
    Sheri4MS Posts: 87 Member
    After a very hard work out. Have a icy cold slimfast or ensure ready to drink. It will provide your body with the nutrients you need right away. I learned this from our head trainer with our running group,it helps alot. Than about an half an hour to an hour later eat your planned meal. This is not to act as a meal replacement, but rather as supplement to your nutritional plan.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    You're burning 1,000 calories in the gym and only eating 1,200 a day? That's your problem. The hunger is just a symptom of the underlying issue that you're overexerting and undereating.
  • Zara11
    You're burning 1,000 calories in the gym and only eating 1,200 a day? That's your problem. The hunger is just a symptom of the underlying issue that you're overexerting and undereating.

Oh, hindsight. -smacks forehead- Duh.... I've fixed my procedure now. At least, I hope I have!

I'm eating extra (but still healthy) on those days now of 1000k. I try to do this 2 times a week, and other days whatever I can get in, which usually results in 400. I only have three days to work out, so I try to make the best out of them that I can, and the rest of time I take the stairs, walk, eat around 1.2k etc.

Now I've been doing the water-drinking as much as I can. Slimfast, I've checked out, but haven't bought yet. Perhaps the next time I'll try a can. I've just gotten used to carrying apples and bananas in my bag!
  • fitchick99
    fitchick99 Posts: 267 Member
    Despite popular belief it is not terrible to eat after 6 p.m. A reasonable dinner (with extra protein if you've had a good weight training session) is going to help deliver nutrients to the body to prepare it for the next day. Additionally if you find yourself very hungry before bed, a small bowl of high fiber cereal and low fat milk will actually help maintain your metabolism while you sleep. The key is to not overeat in the evenings.

This works, this is my snack everyday before I go to bed, it fills you up and keeps your metabolism up!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member

Oh, hindsight. -smacks forehead- Duh.... I've fixed my procedure now. At least, I hope I have!

I'm eating extra (but still healthy) on those days now of 1000k. I try to do this 2 times a week, and other days whatever I can get in, which usually results in 400. I only have three days to work out, so I try to make the best out of them that I can, and the rest of time I take the stairs, walk, eat around 1.2k etc.

Now I've been doing the water-drinking as much as I can. Slimfast, I've checked out, but haven't bought yet. Perhaps the next time I'll try a can. I've just gotten used to carrying apples and bananas in my bag!

That sounds great. I also like to spend a lot of time in the gym when I can, but I can feel the physical fatigue and hunger that result. Slimfast is pretty tasty, but the regular type is high in sugar. Try the Optima. Fruit is great to carry around. Sometimes I make PB sandwiches and just wrap them and carry them hehe .:smile:
  • Zara11
    Smart! And sounds yummy. I daresay I'll start carrying one of those around too now.

Thanks, everyone, for all the help! I'm getting addicted to this community... which is better than oreos.
  • hfsmk
    hfsmk Posts: 4 Member
    A big glass of skim milk does it for me. And when it's 15-20 degrees out, I don't mind toting it around in my cold pack lunch box b/c it won't get funky.
    I've also been known to keep a peanut butter & banana sandwich handy after the gym ... or a whole wheat tortilla smeared with PB w/ 1/2 a banana and rolled up.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    I've been eating Clif bars after workouts lately. Most of them have 10g of protein and 40g of carbs so they are perfect for your sore muscles! Chocolate milk is good for you too as well, it has the sugar you need that plain milk doesn't.
    The tortilla with PB and banana sounds great hfsmk! I should do that today, even though I already had a PB, milk, chocolate flavoured protein and banana smoothie for breakfast today.
    Eating after working out is important, on workout days you should probably eat more than 1200 calories. Your body is hungry because it needs more food after a workout.
  • Zara11
    I definitely indulge in some chocolate soy milk if there's any on hand after a workout. So very refreshing and delicious!
This discussion has been closed.