I want to get sushi tonight, no calories on the menu

Options
Hi! I want to get sushi tonight but the restaurant does not list calories. I like the Godzilla roll but of course the internet has all different calculations since every roll is made differently

I was thinking of eating low calorie meals today just to be sure I don't go over my calories

Any tips and advice for eating out and getting proper calculations? Is the app pretty spot on?

Thanks!!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    A lot of restaurants have their nutritional info on the database or online? Just look for something similar.
  • Noelishere
    Noelishere Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    A lot of restaurants have their nutritional info on the database or online? Just look for something similar.

Can't find it but I will try something similar, each restaurant makes their rolls differently so it can get confusing.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what kind of roll it is, but look in the database and pick a higher calorie entry.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I eat out pretty often and have had pretty good luck using equivalent calorie listings from other restaurants. If you watch your results over time, you can get a sense of if you're over- or under- estimating. For sushi, you've got two elements: the rice, which is pretty consistent restaurant to restaurant, and the ingredients. For ingredients, fish is pretty standard, but pay attention to the high calorie stuff: anything fried, heavier sauces, cream cheese (blasphemy!), and so on. I'd try and find a listing that includes whichever of those higher calorie ingredients the roll I'm eating has, estimate size, and then enjoy your sushi, because sushi is delicious.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Oh, also, this really depends on the person, but I know that I have gotten in trouble when I try and eat less in the day to make up for a big dinner - I end up hungrier than usual at the dinner and am more likely to over-indulge, especially if drinking is involved. If you want to "bank" calories I think it's better to do it gradually over several days.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    When I am guesstimating calories in a restaurant item, I log the highest calorie similar option for what I find in other restaurants' calorie-counts.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    The Godzilla roll might be delicious, but it's probably the worst example of sushi from a calorie standpoint...fried shrimp, mayo, sweet sauce, maybe avocado? For any of those larger specialty rolls, I'll usually make a general safe estimate of ~600 calories per roll.

For rolls, I'll usually stick with basic tuna, salmon, or yellowtail rolls. They run ~200 calories each and are easy to fit into a meal. Likewise, nigiri or sashimi are very controllable since each piece runs on order of only 30-60 calories or so. My usual order for sushi is one tuna roll, one yellowtail roll, and 6 pieces of mixed nigiri or sashimi. It's a reasonable amount of food and the whole dinner will run about 600 calories.

Yup, I googled godzilla roll average calories and this came up
    Sushi Wabi - Godzilla Roll
    Calories 580

Extremely close!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Noelishere wrote: »
    Hi! I want to get sushi tonight but the restaurant does not list calories. I like the Godzilla roll but of course the internet has all different calculations since every roll is made differently

I was thinking of eating low calorie meals today just to be sure I don't go over my calories

Any tips and advice for eating out and getting proper calculations? Is the app pretty spot on?

Thanks!!

Estimate the amount of the main ingredients and log separately.. how much: high-calorie sauce ingredient (some sushi rolls have a mayo-based sauce), how much rice, how much fish, how much oil/breading if a tempura item,...
  • Lesscookies
    Lesscookies Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I did a search on that roll it looks like 950 calories was listed, so I think saying a 1,000 calories will be a safe number. Good luck and happy eating!! it may be high in sodium, so I agree with others about not weighing yourself the next day, and feel free to bank calories the next few days if you still want to ensure you're at the calorie range for the week you want to be eat.

• Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I like doing sushi with a group of people because it's fun to share. We usually get a few specialty rolls to share and a couple normal rolls or sashimi. I estimate each specialty roll if it doesn't have fried ingredients or heavy sauces is 500 cals. Fried ingredients, I add about 100- 150 cals. Heavy sauces, I add about another 100 cals, possibly more depending on the serving.

To keep calories in check, I get a small green salad to start and then 8 pieces total from the spread. Usually 3 pieces of specialty, 2 of normal, and 3 of sashimi.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    If it is not something you do on a regular basis, eating out, I would just relax about it. One meal wont make or break you. I have noticed that some people simply do a quick add entry of 1000-1500 calories and leave it at that. You can easily just cut 100-200 a day for a few days to compensate if it would put your mind at rest. I have only ever had the supermarket sushi so have no idea what the real deal is like... it never looks all that appealing to me though.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I did a search on that roll it looks like 950 calories was listed, so I think saying a 1,000 calories will be a safe number. Good luck and happy eating!! it may be high in sodium, so I agree with others about not weighing yourself the next day, and feel free to bank calories the next few days if you still want to ensure you're at the calorie range for the week you want to be eat.

950 calories for a sushi roll is pretty steep unless it was from a novelty type place that serves oversized food (and they definitely exist).

Was it a database entry on this site or an external reference? Either way, I don't think you necessarily need to be that hard on yourself when eating sushi!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

Can't find it but I will try something similar, each restaurant makes their rolls differently so it can get confusing.

Just guesstimate as best you can. And DO NOT weigh yourself tomorrow...

I disagree with this - I would weigh myself if that is my normal routine. Understand the impact that your calorie consumption / macros mix / sugar and sodium consumption / etc. have on your weight and never put on blinders or engage in self-deception, as that will only impair your progress...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »

Just guesstimate as best you can. And DO NOT weigh yourself tomorrow...

I disagree with this - I would weigh myself if that is my normal routine. Understand the impact that your calorie consumption / macros mix / sugar and sodium consumption / etc. have on your weight and never put on blinders or engage in self-deception, as that will only impair your progress...

The only reason I said it was that sushi is often very high in sodium so the scales could shoot up which freaks out a lot of people...

To each their own
  • Noelishere
    Noelishere Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It was a high calorie roll, but certainly not a regular thing these days so I let myself enjoy it knowing I'll be going right back to my regular routine. I hadn't eaten out in a month so it was fun!

Thanks for the tips.
  • khaleesikhaleesi
    khaleesikhaleesi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Or opt for sashimi or nigiri, which don't have all the crazy ingredients-- sashimi is just a slice of fish on a ball of white rice, and nigiri is just raw pieces of fish! Sushi in general is not usually calorie-laden, per se, but definitely avoid anything with "crunchy" in the name or any sauces, especially those that already come on the roll you order if you're looking to skip on the extra calories. Good luck!