My stretch marks hurt!

Options
xxkaylamae93
xxkaylamae93 Posts: 10 Member
edited October 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
And Google wasn't very helpful. I generally have a bottle of the Palmer's lotion, need to run and get more. But even with lotion, lately my stretch marks have been itching and stinging. Just on my stomach. I have entered the "lumpy" stage, if that has anything to do with it.

Any tips?

Replies

• Lesscookies
    Lesscookies Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Please speak wth your doctor about your concerns maybe you can get prescribed something to help.
  • fractalized
    fractalized Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I got marks only on my tummy for a while earlier in this project. I was pushing volumetric eating to the limits, having huge urns of vegetables and massive amounts of water. Within calorie goals, but just so much volume.

Resulted in stretch marks until the light bulb went off and I realized I needed figure out reasonable volumes alongside reasonable calories.

Not sure if that's what's up with you, but that's why I got stretch marks on only my tummy. Coconut oil and stuff didn't do anything, just had to sort a good mix of calories and volume. Haven't had any new marks since, just slow steady weight loss. Good luck, I hope you get whatever is causing yours sorted out!
  • xxkaylamae93
    xxkaylamae93 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I got marks only on my tummy for a while earlier in this project. I was pushing volumetric eating to the limits, having huge urns of vegetables and massive amounts of water. Within calorie goals, but just so much volume.

Resulted in stretch marks until the light bulb went off and I realized I needed figure out reasonable volumes alongside reasonable calories.

Not sure if that's what's up with you, but that's why I got stretch marks on only my tummy. Coconut oil and stuff didn't do anything, just had to sort a good mix of calories and volume. Haven't had any new marks since, just slow steady weight loss. Good luck, I hope you get whatever is causing yours sorted out!

I got mine from gaining weight quickly; they're shrinking as I lose, but are uncomfortable. I didn't really get them on the rest of my body. I've lost 15 out of about 70lbs over 6 months, so no rush or anything. I have been eating most of my food in one sitting over the last few weeks! I finally had time to grocery shop, so that's over. But there could be a correlation there; my marks don't always hurt. I'll pay attention next time things get hectic, thank you!

Doctor just said to moisturize better, I was there the other day. Its normal to have some discomfort in stretch marks. My pregnant friends frequently complain. So do my overweight ones. My lotion drastically lightened mine over about a week. I'm kind of just hoping someone has a trick or two to stop the itching!
  • maura_tasi
    maura_tasi Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Totally off topic but you mentioned lotion for them and I was wondering if that helps? I need to start keeping mine more moisturized. Would you recommend palmers? Or would any lotion help?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If your skin is getting looser and your stretch marks are healing from losing weight, I think the itching comes from excess wobbling. Try undergarments that keep you tucked in.
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I know its not usually something you hear guys talk about too much but Polysporin has an anti itch cream that does wonders for stretch marks that are healing while you're losing weight. Not sure it does much for the look but it takes the itch away I found.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Stretch marks are caused by tiny tears in your skin. Itchiness could just mean they're healing. They won't entirely go away (no lotion helps, it's in a layer of skin below where lotions can reach) but they will become less visible over time. I have them from several inches above my belly button to a few inches down my thighs from my pregnancy 18 years ago. Also this:w3qqft8iwlr4.jpg
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Try exfoliating gently (a homemade coffee or sugar scrub works well for this) and moisturizing with something like vaseline, then a serious lotion regularly. Burt's Bees makes some great creams for this. Keep drinking lots of water.