Self-Soothing Dieting Coping Mechanisms

Options

Replies

• JoLightensUp
    JoLightensUp Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I browse through my recipe books and magazines a lot more. My family probably like it when I'm losing weight because their meals are more interesting, but they've got to put up with the occasional failed experiment! The successful recipes get photocopied and added to my "Tried and True" folder. :)
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I have some meals that are super yummy (potacos!) but healthy and I eat them frequently. .

I watch cooking shows.

I search for X program before and after pics a lot. Seeing people's success keeps me motivated .

I drink soda water instead of straight water. It feels more ... Special. Lol. Plus it helps keep me full longer.

Recently started IF. Typically i have a bad night time snacking habit but now my eating window ends at like 6:30. I tell myself I can have any snack I want in that window. Chips, chocolate, whatever. Im always too full for it but when it's night time I don't feel bad not eating it because I could have had it earlier if I wanted.

I try to have meals where I can incorporate small "indulgences". I know no food is "bad", but certain foods add up fast and I don't have a lot of self control so I try to avoid them. So if I can have a meal with a bit of cheese, or eat my tuna on crackers, etc, then I feel like I'm both being balanced AND beating the system (by satisfying a craving without ruining my deficit. Silly really cause those foods fit within my deficit but ita a mental thing)
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I plan really carefully and give a lot of thought to what I'm going to eat to make sure that it's balanced, pleasurable, and affordable.

I try to recreate things I've had in restaurants that were delicious and make them at home where I can calculate the calories exactly. I've made Thai Panang Tofu Curry and Pineapple Fried Rice, Ethiopian Tikil Gomen and Yekik Alicha, Chinese Vegetable Lo Mein, etc.

I cut up my fruit when I eat it. It sounds silly but it allows me to really enjoy every bite and it also looks like a lot more food when I slice up and core a pear instead of eating it whole.

I use fat. I'm on an 1800 calorie a day plan, so I can afford to use a couple of teaspoons of oil when I saute, or have a few slices of avocado, or eat hummus on a wrap.
  • Stationagentjules
    Stationagentjules Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I rearrange my pantry...often, and organize the refrigerator. I find it weirdly soothing to stack and sort the canned goods etc.

Also, I've been drinking much more coffee since I've been eating less.
  • CaladriaNapea
    CaladriaNapea Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I second (or third?) the tea drinking habit. I am in grad school . . . Previously, I used to snack non-stop while studying. That quickly had to go, so water and tea are my constant companions.

Also for me, I meticulously plan out my meals. I have also worked on mindfully enjoying my food. Having a variety of foods at my meals works really well for me as well. I tend to eat the same exact things every week night, but having a variety of foods on the plate helps me even though I eat the same variety Monday through Friday.

That and I am pretty dang possessive of my calories. If hubby so much as eyes my plate he is liable to lose a finger. ;)
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    So, I spent half of yesterday plotting out the simple meal I was going to eat for dinner. It didn't have quite the punch as satisfying a specific craving, but it did boost my mood to eat it. I'll probably be more of a mindful eater despite my annoyance at having to put the effort into cooking and cleaning up!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I vape and also walk past Subway when the bread is baking. Never go in just walk by and smell the amazing bread. :#
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    davidylin wrote: »
    So, I spent half of yesterday plotting out the simple meal I was going to eat for dinner. It didn't have quite the punch as satisfying a specific craving, but it did boost my mood to eat it. I'll probably be more of a mindful eater despite my annoyance at having to put the effort into cooking and cleaning up!

Good on ya'! I did read an article ages ago -- not scientific but NYT article about a study -- indicating people involved in aspects of food prep (planning, shopping, cooking, food handling) felt significantly higher satisfaction with less food consumed compared to people uninvolved in the process.

It rings true to me. The process and the effort really contribute to my enjoyment of the whole meal experience.
  • megbrewerr
    megbrewerr Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    my friend had this idea in college that after a big meal, if you drink a cup of tea or a bottle of water it "washes it away" and makes you feel better. ultimately you feel more full, but it gives this weird idea that you are healthy (green tea) or hydrated from the water. I know it makes no sense and definitely doesn't do this, but I still can't help it! :)
  • davidylin
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    If there is a butter croissant on my counter, there’s no f’n way I just walking by it.
    This is the grisly fate that befell the hazelnut cream stuffed croissant that was on my counter this morning. The butter croissants will live to fight another day. #thecalories
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    jelleigh wrote: »
    I have some meals that are super yummy (potacos!) but healthy and I eat them frequently. .

I watch cooking shows.

I search for X program before and after pics a lot. Seeing people's success keeps me motivated .

I drink soda water instead of straight water. It feels more ... Special. Lol. Plus it helps keep me full longer.

Recently started IF. Typically i have a bad night time snacking habit but now my eating window ends at like 6:30. I tell myself I can have any snack I want in that window. Chips, chocolate, whatever. Im always too full for it but when it's night time I don't feel bad not eating it because I could have had it earlier if I wanted.

I try to have meals where I can incorporate small "indulgences". I know no food is "bad", but certain foods add up fast and I don't have a lot of self control so I try to avoid them. So if I can have a meal with a bit of cheese, or eat my tuna on crackers, etc, then I feel like I'm both being balanced AND beating the system (by satisfying a craving without ruining my deficit. Silly really cause those foods fit within my deficit but ita a mental thing)

If that's not a typo, I NEED to know what you're talking about.

Another meal planner here. I also bake insanely decadent goodies and give them away, and indulge in time consuming food preparation, like smoking, curing, drying, making my own small goods etc. The action of making it is far more satisfying than even the eating it. I plan and execute 5-6 course themed dinner parties for friends about once a month. I spend hours wandering food stores, and spend the kind of money on specialty foods other women might spend on shoes.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I window shop in grocery stores now. Sometimes I carry stuff in the basket then put it back before checkout or if I find a lower calorie substitute.

I drink a lot of flavored teas and coffees. And sugar free creamers. I stock up on seasonings whenever I'm in Trader Joe's. I've also started hoarding, I mean seriously hoarding seasonal bagels and English muffins in the deep freeze. Great for weekend breakfasts when mega muffin cravings hit. Same with hoarding instant oatmeal at work.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,150 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Also: Shifting as often as possible to non-food self-soothing: Stretching, things that smell nice, fresh flowers for the house, a break in the sauna at my Y, self-massage or relaxation tecniques, fresh air, new tools or supplies for my hobbies, etc.
    This is probably the most true, but, for me, it'll never happen. Live to eat. Eat to live. I have in the past successfully replaced food with bedroom activities, but that's a special chemistry that I don't have anywhere near as much control over as what I eat.

Granny sez: You might want to re-think your ossified self-definition, even if just a tad. Change is good.

Food and sex are Pretty Swell, but you're missing out by not deeply appreciating some other very pleasurable stuff, in addition.

Reconsider pan-hedonism. Seriously.

;););)
  • ravengirl2014
    ravengirl2014 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I second the coffee thing!
  • Arizona_C
    Arizona_C Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    I buy really expensive food stuff that is sold in mini portions. My favorite at the moment is a 25g minibar of pistache marzipan from a fairtrade food shop, costing 1€

For some reason or another, my mind gets confused and mixes up the price of something on a money and a calorie budget. Basically, a 1€ minisnack feels richer, more sumptuous and satisfying than a 10 centimes candy wrapped version

• davidylin
    Options
    Also: Shifting as often as possible to non-food self-soothing: Stretching, things that smell nice, fresh flowers for the house, a break in the sauna at my Y, self-massage or relaxation tecniques, fresh air, new tools or supplies for my hobbies, etc.
    This is probably the most true, but, for me, it'll never happen. Live to eat. Eat to live. I have in the past successfully replaced food with bedroom activities, but that's a special chemistry that I don't have anywhere near as much control over as what I eat.

Granny sez: You might want to re-think your ossified self-definition, even if just a tad. Change is good.

Food and sex are Pretty Swell, but you're missing out by not deeply appreciating some other very pleasurable stuff, in addition.

Reconsider pan-hedonism. Seriously.

;););)
    I know who I am!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Self-soothing and coping mechanism ... For me, there's only one: More coffee.
  • davidylin
    Options
    Self-soothing and coping mechanism ... For me, there's only one: More coffee.
    They say that's actually quite good for you when it's actually coffee and not just sugar and cream.