OA Pushup.
    OAOL Pushup
    Planche Pushup
    OA Pullup
    Ring dips
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Are you already doing Muscle ups/Dragon Flags?

If so, Then Perhaps it's time to look for a competition. That way you have a date and performance target to work towards.
  • MilesAddie
    MilesAddie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    - Olympic Lifts - Snatch, Clean + Jerk
    - Ring Muscle Ups, Ring Handstand Push Ups
    - Ascending Box Jumps - Stack Plates on top of a Plyo Box
    - Peg Board Ascents
    - Legless Rope Climbs
    - Heavy Stone to Shoulders (150+)
    - Dumbbell Squat Snatches
    - Heavy Thrusters
    - Bear Complex

Some of these require specialized equipment, and can be dangerous if not taught by someone who knows what they are doing.
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Yes! These are awesome recommendations.
    I am already doing muscle-ups and dragon flags, just not many reps (~5 a set)
    My gym doesn't have any rings or boxes. I know, right? I really miss peg boards, too.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Squat, press, deallift and walk to get a medal makes it less boring.
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I second burpees.
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    Options
    And triangle pushups or whatever they're called.

• iamthemotherofdogs
    Options
    4x5xui1r60h3.png
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Those are usually called diamond push-ups.

I would consider plyometric pull-ups. Or even clap pull-ups if you can do them.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    Those are usually called diamond push-ups.

I would consider plyometric pull-ups. Or even clap pull-ups if you can do them.

Double and triple clap pushups are a fun feat. As are plyo pushups to standing
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Lifting weights is just boring. You don't do it for entertainment, you do it for the results. Cardio is for fun.

Lifting can be fun or boring. Cardio can be fun or boring. Depends on the person and what type of lifting or what type of cardio is being done.

What advice would you give to the OP to make lifting heavy things and then putting them down less boring?

Hard to make suggestions without knowing what they are finding boring.
    Changing up movements, rep schemes, adding intensity, all can be ways to make it less boring. Also focusing on the lift itself. If you aren't lifting with purpose and intent, you're not going to be anywhere near your capabilities. I don't understand how a person could check out mentally and be bored while lifting, unless they aren't pushing themselves as hard as they should be.

That's what gets me through it. I already look better than I did before lifting and that's going to continue. I lift because of the results, lifting works. But it's never fun like riding down a twisty hill and seeing how much speed you can carry through each switchback. It's not about fun, it's about intent and purpose. :smile:

You're not understanding what I'm saying and it's obvious you just don't find lifting interesting, so I'm not sure anything that anyone says is going to matter.
    I'm talking intent and purpose in that moment that allows you to lift the most weight possible for the amount of reps needed for your program. Many people find it a lot of fun to discover the strength they hold inside. Gut out a new 5RM weight of back squats and some people are bouncing off the walls and find that fun.

Well, thanks for trying to bring me into the fold. I agree it's difficult, and good to do. I can't imagine a world where it's fun or interesting. But I still do it. And that's my advice to the OP who also finds lifting boring; do it anyway, it's good for you. Maybe in time the OP will be one of those people bouncing off the wall with excitement after setting a new PR.
  • MilesAddie
    MilesAddie Posts: 166 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    You could also combine exercises -

- Burpee Pull-ups / Burpee Muscle Ups

Also,
    - Manmakers
    - Clusters (Squat Clean into a Thruster)

Or get a weighted vest, adding 20+ pounds to a gymnastic based movement will make it much more challenging
  • stanmann571
    Options
    Handstand push-up? There's absolutely no way I could come close to doing one...but always thought this would be awesome to do. Just doing handstands well would be pretty awesome imo.

Whoops someobdy already said that one...oh well. :)

Handstand pushups aren't actually that hard once you get the handstand part down.

It's the one armed handstand pushups that are a beast(balance).
  • KickboxFanatic
    KickboxFanatic Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    BB/KB/DB complexes such as the Cosgrove Evil 8. Start light cause they will kick your *kitten*.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    OP: Anything will get "boring" if you do it repetitively w/o change for long enough.

The solution? Do what you're doing in a different way, do something else or just take a break.

Only you know what will interest you enough to do instead of doing what you are already doing.

Just use your imagination to figure out what to do next.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights is just boring. You don't do it for entertainment, you do it for the results. Cardio is for fun.

I agree. Especially when it it involves riding a bicycle to a café to meet up with someone.