Do you count the calories burned nursing?

Options
e_falagan
e_falagan Posts: 22 Member
edited October 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Do you count the calories you burn nursing towards your deficit? I've been tracking what I pump (but not what my son eats because i have no way of knowing exactly how many ounces hes getting from nursing) and adding it as an exercise but I almost feel like its cheating because that's 600+ calories a day.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    How would it be cheating? Your body can't create breast milk "for free," it's going to take some energy. I understand there may be some issues with estimating the calorie burn, but surely it's using *some energy*.
  • e_falagan
    Options
    How would it be cheating? Your body can't create breast milk "for free," it's going to take some energy. I understand there may be some issues with estimating the calorie burn, but surely it's using *some energy*.

That's why I only count pumped ones, then I know exactly how many ounces are going out. Whatever my son takes out I don't figure in.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How many calories per ounce are you using to get 600 calories per day? I'm asking because if you're using the oft-quoted 20, that means you're pumping 30 oz per day on top of nursing and it makes me wonder if you are a super-producer. I was in that boat when my daughter was nursing (pumped 30-something oz/day while at work while she only drank two bottles while I was gone and then nursed 6-8 times when I was at home.) Bottom line, if your production isn't tanking and you are feeling good (not worn down/out) then keep doing what you are doing.
  • e_falagan
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    How many calories per ounce are you using to get 600 calories per day? I'm asking because if you're using the oft-quoted 20, that means you're pumping 30 oz per day on top of nursing and it makes me wonder if you are a super-producer. I was in that boat when my daughter was nursing (pumped 30-something oz/day while at work while she only drank two bottles while I was gone and then nursed 6-8 times when I was at home.) Bottom line, if your production isn't tanking and you are feeling good (not worn down/out) then keep doing what you are doing.

I do use the standard "20 calories per ounce". I'm an over producer so I pump the excess and give it to my toddler, keep a freezer stash, and donate to local mommas. :) It just feels like cheating to add all these burned calories when I don't feel like I'm working to burn them... Lol
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I used to log calories burned from breastfeeding and pumping, but I was not able to use those calories as part of my deficit or as a way to eat more and still lose weight. I had to reduce my calories very slowly so my supply wouldn't totally diminish, but I wasn't able to lose more than 5 lbs until I got serious about working out in a different way and reducing my caloric intake. But it really depends on whether or not you're experiencing weight loss just from breastfeeding. If you are, then I say count it as a win and go ahead and log the calories burned!
  • charlenegrichard
    charlenegrichard Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I did. I didn't initially and found that I was weak while working out. After looking at calories burned working out and pumping I realized I needed to eat a lot more. I started keeping up with it after that.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    e_falagan wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »

I do use the standard "20 calories per ounce". I'm an over producer so I pump the excess and give it to my toddler, keep a freezer stash, and donate to local mommas. :) It just feels like cheating to add all these burned calories when I don't feel like I'm working to burn them... Lol

but you are working...to produce quality milk to feed a child requires a lot of calories and if you are worried you are counting too much then use 75% but as a nursing mom you need all the extra calories allowed ot ensure your health and the health of your child.
  • PrimalForLife
    PrimalForLife Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding is such an important benefit to your child, why not worry about the calorie-counting until after your child is weaned?