Hair loss following very low fat diet due to gallstones

Options
Hi All,
I've just had my gallbladder removed, it follows 10 months of eating a very low fat diet whilst awaiting surgery. Unsurprisingly the diet has taken its toll on my hair ( loss and dry) and skin, although it also allowed me to lose 53lbs - silver linings and all that.
Thankfully it seems I can eat fat again and I am endeavouring to ensure I eat healthy fats as required, just wondering if anyone has any idea how long it takes for hair to recover? I have taken a good multivit with iron throughout and still do.
Appreciate any responses, many thanks

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My estimate is six weeks. Feel for stubble coming in. Watch your protein intake as well.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    My hair is recovering after problems with low thyroid. It does take a while - as I understand it hair grows about 6 inches a year and new hairs will come in at about the same rate new hairs used to replace old ones that fell out.
  • pennygm72
    pennygm72 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    @jgnatca thank you for such a quick response, I am adjusting my macros to account for the fat, much easier now to hit my protein goals when I can eat some fat!
  • pennygm72
    Options
    @rheddmobile, sorry to hear you've been having trouble too, hopefully we will both be slightly more hirsute by Christmas!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    i've gone through several rounds of hair loss (diagnosed as telogen effluvium) as a result of pneumonia (3 years ago), final exam stress (last year), and low iron (now this year). Everytime i start having new rapid growth and think things are going to be okay I have another round of crazy and worse hair loss.

I would honestly get your hair loss checked out and find out what the underlying problem is.

Hair takes about 6 months start regrowing if it sheds (in other words if you're losing whole hairs from the root) and can take up to a year to start filling in again.

I know how much is sucks, believe me, i'm dealing with a big dilemma now since i've got hip-length hair that is SOOOO thin from chronic hair loss. Debating cutting it off but i'm not sure i'm ready.
  • pennygm72
    Options
    @rainbowbow that sounds tough, sorry to hear you are also suffering, I have been fortunate to always have thick hair and I've only ever lost it before following pregnancy, which is normal. Because my hair is naturally thick and I have it cut short the loss doesn't show much, I notice it in the shower mainly. I can imagine with lovely long hair it must be difficult to cut it :(
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    @pennygm72 Yeah... :cry:

• Lesscookies1
    Lesscookies1 Posts: 250 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I've always cut my hair a lot, so I can tell you if you have a pixie cut it will take at least a year for it to be a bob length maybe even a short bob. Shorter length hair takes about 2 years of growth. Hair grows usually an inch a month possibly even more for some. Your hair will grow back if you're not going through other medical conditions. I've noticed faster growth in my hair after using biotin supplements, but it may cause acne for some, and it may not work just wanting to give you some tips.
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to add regarding hair loss and re-grow rates but I’m also on a very low fat diet while I wait for my operation to have my gallbladder removed. I’m 3 months in so not getting any adverse effects yet but I hope I’m not still waiting in another 7 months
  • pennygm72
    Options
    I hope you are not waiting as long as I did either @cronus70, I didn't notice the hair issue until about a month ago, however having read up a little it is likely that the damage was done about three months ago.
    @thecharon I think it most likely to be the lack of fat and low calorie diet, I struggled with MFP protein goals but I did consult with a dietician who felt my protein intake was sufficient. I knew hair loss was a possibility but had hoped I might avoid it..
  • TriciaSalloway
    TriciaSalloway Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi i have just been told i need to go on a low fat diet while i await gallbladder operation, do you have any meal / recipe suggestions, i'm not the most proficient in the kitchen lol. Any help would be appreciated.