Meal Prep containers

2»

Replies

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    pmm3437 wrote: »
    If you want to microwave directly in the containers and are concerned about BPAs, glass or ceramics are a good choice.

Personally, I use plastic to store ( I buy BPA free ), and transfer to another vessel for reheating. Its less expensive, and they tend to take up less storage space in the cupboard when not in use. I do have a couple of Pyrex containers that were gifts, and they have worked well when I've used them.

I always find the sets to be deceiving ( glass or plastic ), because you tend to accumulate the small containers but never use them. This isn't really a factor with plastic, cause its cheap, but can be for glass. You might be better served to buy pairs/trios of the mid size units, instead of some 24-40 count bundle that has 1 cup units in it.

The 1-cup are actually the ones I've bought mutliple times by themselves in bulk...but I pre-portion and transport lots of yogurt, cottage cheese, and chili - and they are the perfect size for that (also perfect size for 1 portion of rice which I don't usually make). Wouldn't be practical for someone that does more salads or entree-style meals though.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    I use what @rhenry2424 does;

I like pyrex, but the locking lids that glasslock features save my life.

You guys might have your lives in order that you can make sure those pyrex containers stay upright, but I've had a soggy bag one too many times.

I usually transport a large pile of them to work in a separate grocery bag on Mondays (so I don't usually have to worry about spilling). And throw any smaller amounts in a large baggie first before throwing into my bag in case of spills.
  • OP, I have (almost) the exact set you posted. I do love the glass, because everything feels very clean. They are kind of heavy for lunches, and I have had minor spills when transporting. The big ones are too big for salads in my opinion...

Sadly I recently lost one of my orange ones, and my dark blue lid tore ages ago. So I may be looking into some of these other sets in the near future.
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    They take up too much space in my kitchen :/. We have a few of them and they are very nice but mostly I use the plastic because they stack so much better.
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    I feel like I can taste the plastic ones, so I'll take the plunge and go for glass. I'm ok with them taking up space, they'll be cycled through pretty regularly so it'll be ok. Thanks guys!
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    I use a lot of canning jars. The wide mouth kind- I can freeze single servings in the pint and half pints, then cook up some rice or pasta to go with them for a meal.
    I also have some of the Pyrex storage containers. Mostly the round ones that I think are 4 cups and come in all sorts of designs.

They make divided glass containers that are like the plastic meal prep containers but they aren’t Pyrex and I’ve never tried them.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Just a note... Beware that there has been some issues reported with Pyrex. Used to be safe from freezer to oven but may no longer be as safe. Snopes seems to think the reports are partially true?

From Snopes:
    In a January 2011 article on glass bakeware, Consumer Reports stated that they were unable to determine exactly when major U.S. manufacturers (including Pyrex) switched from soda lime glass to borosilicate glass:

https://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/pyrex.asp
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    Just a note... Beware that there has been some issues reported with Pyrex. Used to be safe from freezer to oven but may no longer be as safe. Snopes seems to think the reports are partially true?

From Snopes:
    In a January 2011 article on glass bakeware, Consumer Reports stated that they were unable to determine exactly when major U.S. manufacturers (including Pyrex) switched from soda lime glass to borosilicate glass:

https://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/pyrex.asp

I lost a beloved vintage piece of cookware that way, I don't go from freezer to oven anymore.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    I'm cheap... I just use old margarine tubs in the fridge/freezer, and transfer to a clip lock or thermos for transporting if need be... I don't have a microwave so all heating is done on the hob anyway.
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    I'm cheap... I just use old margarine tubs in the fridge/freezer, and transfer to a clip lock or thermos for transporting if need be... I don't have a microwave so all heating is done on the hob anyway.

I've been using nice containers that we had food delivered in to the office last week, I just wash them out and re-use.
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    I use the Pyrex ones like you posted for anything that gets reheated. For stuff that I eat cold, I use the Rubbermaid Lunch Blox containers. I haven't had any issues with things leaking in my lunchbox, but I tend to carry them upright and they rarely get tipped.