Halloween Candy Crisis

Options

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I've got a big bag of variety Tootsie stuff for the kids, a bag of Hershey's chocolate for just in case, and big bag of Almond Joy for the healthy clean plant based etc.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I don't buy or eat candy. I have been known though to buy Luna bars in the flavors of my favorite candies. The coconut ones taste like Almond Joys and I get protein WIN WIN.

My biggest candy craving is for gummie candy and that's not halloween related, and can get those any time...and typically when I buy 1 bag, it's gone in hours. 3 months without them...but I see that ending soon since they are my favorite airplane treat - and we leave for Cancun in 11 days...Moderation, right?
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Halloween is the only time I buy candy but it's still a problem because I just can't seem to control myself! The problem is we buy a giant Costco bag meant for both our annual Halloween party (the Saturday before Halloween) and Halloween itself. So most years there are days in between where there is an open bag of pure temptation! I (wrongly) justify it by saying it's just once a year. I think I need to just skip having candy at the party and avoid buying candy until the day before Halloween. I have no problem bringing the leftovers to work so if I truly only eat it ONE day, I could be okay with that!
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Benefits to living in an apartment on a main road. I think I only had one group of trick or treaters last year. I'm out tonight so that's my boyfriend's job.
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    No candy in my office and I plan to avoid it tonight, too. Can't tempt me with what I can't access.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    nope.
  • pocntasha
    pocntasha Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The struggle is so real! I knew today would be an issue, so, I have increased my workouts to twice a day this week and I have also decided to do slimfast for dinner for the rest of the week. This should even me out. I made these changes so I can have a carefree splurge day! To be honest I have not eaten as much as I thought I would.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Our local trick or treat hours are crazy early to avoid darkness so I am never home anyway, so never buy anything.

I'm also super picky about chocolate which means I'm not tempted by the candy people will bring in tomorrow.
  • amelia66d
    amelia66d Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Today's going surprisingly well- I bought one milky way bar (larger) so I feel satisfied, then had a healthy chicken and roasted vegetable dinner before taking my brother out trick-or-treating. We walked for nearly 1.5 hours so I had a dark chocolate mini milky way. Now I'm just drinking some water. For the next couple days, I built in a small piece of candy each day to preemptively fight back against cravings.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if I wasn't a vegan (which makes about 99% of Halloween candy off-limits to me) I probably would be. Miniature Mars bars were my weakness. No impulse control. Today I enjoyed a single serving of Sour Patch Kids, went for a run, and felt great.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I had 6 Hershey's kisses. Feeling great about that! ;)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    No - I'm too busy wiring up the door bell button to the mains electricity supply to fry any trick or treaters.

Ha!

When I was a kid it was common for jack o'lanterns to be stolen and smashed in the street. My dad strung several of those firecrackers that emit loud BANGs when you pull on either end of the string between the jack o'lantern on our porch and the porch rail. The person who tried to grab it was quite surprised.

In years past, I used to hate all the Halloween shenanigans >:) that some kids used to pull. Not sure what's happened, but the kids are super nice and respectful lately around my neighborhood. No toilet papering, no smashing pumpkins, no candy wrappers littering the place. Pretty much everyone saying thank you, have a nice night, and happy Halloween - even the older kids were friendly and polite. No jerk behavior that I noticed. Tonight, people made me very happy! <3
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I remember that my mom always used to buy the super cheap variety bag of candy from Dollar General that none of us liked, so our leftover candy never really seemed to go anywhere. If I remember correctly, it had Dots, Junior Mints, Charleston Chews, Dots, and the fat Tootsie Rolls. I used to always beg her to buy the mini candy bars, but she never went for it.

Nowadays, we just don't hand out candy. Getting good stuff is too expensive, and we only ever seemed to get teenagers and ungrateful brats when we tried handing out candy for the last few years that we did it. I justify not celebrating to myself by thinking that kids get too much sugar anyway, and that I don't need to contribute to that.
  • Calichusetts
    Calichusetts Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a sweets guy and don't even like chocolate. With that said, walking around with my son for hours let to a few indulgences. I'm not worried about it, back on track today.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Nope not a single piece.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Only 2 trick-or-treaters! :(
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    We are in the candy season now. First Halloween, then Christmas, Valentine's Day, Easter.
    This is my second round on MFP. First time around I treated myself with bite size pieces of dark chocolate, and really developed more of a taste for dark chocolate. Luckily, milk chocolate really does not appeal to me anymore, and I have no problem avoiding it. Salty snacks is my downfall.