Cardio in the morning

Options
Is it healthy to do cardio in the morning on empty stomach?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    It's neither healthy or unhealthy. If that's when it fits your schedule, do it. If you like doing cardio fasted, do it like that. If you want to eat beforehand, eat. If you want to do cardio later, do it then.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    As healthy as any other time of day and whether you have eaten or not.

It's far from unusual so what aspect are you actually concerned about?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I do half a cup of coffee and out the door I go for 4am. love it!
  • maitham09
    maitham09 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

My concern is if I want to burn some fat my body will get the energy from the food I had not from the stored by doing the cardio after eating. Am I right?
  • maitham09
    Options
    I do half a cup of coffee and out the door I go for 4am. love it!
    Does it work in burning your body fat?
  • maitham09
    Options
    Guys you're awesome. Thanks a lot.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    maitham09 wrote: »

My concern is if I want to burn some fat my body will get the energy from the food I had not from the stored by doing the cardio after eating. Am I right?

No - you can’t prompt your body to “select” energy from different areas. The process of fat storage is separate from fat utilization during exercise. While the body might mobilize stored fat during a workout, it actually uses very little. As noted above, your real “fat burning” takes place at rest and is driven over time by a sustained calorie deficit.

+1! OP, exercise when you prefer and will perform best. There is no "best" time and fat burning is driven by calorie deficit. Exercise helps burn calories but does not directly contribute to fat burning while exercising. It all about overall energy balance.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

It's a complete irrelevance where your energy to power your workout comes from for weight loss - it's down to your long term calorie balance not the timing.

If you used the food just eaten to fuel your run then food you eat later gets stored.
    If you use your stored energy from your body (which won't be subcutaneous fat anyway) for your run then you replace it later with the food you eat afterwards.
    Think of it like fuelling your car (the fuel is your fat in this analogy) - it you put a gallon in before or after you go for a drive you have still put a gallon in, the level is the same. Doesn't matter if you burned today's top up or yesterday's top up.

There are no tricks to burning body fat - just a sustainable calorie deficit over time.

This...
    Azdak wrote: »

No - you can’t prompt your body to “select” energy from different areas. The process of fat storage is separate from fat utilization during exercise. While the body might mobilize stored fat during a workout, it actually uses very little. As noted above, your real “fat burning” takes place at rest and is driven over time by a sustained calorie deficit.

And this...
  • maitham09
    Options
    Got it
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I love working out first thing. It gets me going. I feel sluggish and unaccomplished if I don't get something in...
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Is it healthy to do cardio in the morning on empty stomach?

Endurance athletes often work fasted (carb depleted) workouts into their training schedule because it conditions their body to use fat more efficiently during a race. It is worth noting, however, that their performance isn't as high when they are in a carb depleted state and it puts the body under stress. Never exercise for more than two hours without eating. You probably shouldn't do a fasted workout more than two or three times a week.