What am I doing wrong?

Options
I need help. Im 26 have an office job and have worked hard over the last 5 years at loosing weight. I log my food (1200 calories a day) and macro's (carbs 40g protien 35g and fat 25g) I work out 2/3 times a week keeping variety of hiit cardio and weight training.
My issue is I havent lost/gained any weight I just maintain. I dont have far to go but I want to hit the goal I set myself 5 years ago.
I just need to be pointed in the right direction.
Any ideas?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    What they said. Make sure your logging is as accurate as possible.

Also I think you meant those macros are your percentages...gram-wise that adds up to a bit over 500 calories.
  • leeannsummer70
    leeannsummer70 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a digital scale everything I eat is portion controlled I log very accurately. I also habe a fitbit which I use to help with my calorie intake vs exercise, im too scared to over eat.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Those macros can't be right?

Should they be % not grams?
  • leeannsummer70
    leeannsummer70 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You're right I only just realized I put gram, its percentage sorry
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    How long has your weight been stuck for?
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? How tall are you, age, weight etc?
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Have you changed your goals .5 a week? It's usually recommended you do so as you reach the last few to your goal.

I'm in a similar position as you. I've been trying to reach my goals forever. I've gotten close but feel like I've hit a wall.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,627 Member
    Options
    How long has your weight been stuck for?

Million dollar question.

OP, you might want to open your diary to see if others can help you tweak things. Also, your fitbit may be overestimating your workout calories. I know that when I had to replace my original fitbit, it overestimated enough that I unintentionally ended up maintaining for like a year.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Without your stats, it pretty hard to tell. At 1200 calories you may be in too steep a deficit for what you have left to lose and are causing stress/ cortisol and water retention that is masking any progress. But without height, weight, TDEE and deficit it's hard to say. You also may want to consider a full diet break. Some great info here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Please open your food journal.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    have you try Intermittent fasting, that is where you only eat 3 or 2 times a day between select hours. The idea is to get your body to start using ketos( the body's own fat cells) for fuel and not glucose (sugars). it is a good way to break a plateau. when I get into a plateau or come off a cheat day (like yesterday) I start intermittent fasting. I normal do a 8/16 and work up to a 4/20 (that is I eat in an 8hour windows and fast for 16 hrs, and work to a 4hour windows (1:30 to 5:30) and fast for 20hours.) *No snacking*. If you are looking to break your Plateau (that is what it sounds like). I would start by changing your macro's to a 60%,30%,10% of F,P,C). the higher fat intakr will keep your felling full, along with the veggies ( you want to eat around 7 cups or so). So start Have a good big dinner with good protein , fats and a big salad. and in the morning, if you are not hunger skip breakfast or push it back an hour or so. you keep doing this till you can make it to lunch with out any hunger, before long you will find yourself with a lot of energy, and only eating when your really need to.
    you can still work out when intermittent fasting, HiiT workouts are highly recommend.
    If you have now guess yet, cut out all sugars, and cards (starches, breads, and grains). The idea is keep your Blood sugar from spiking when you eat. I would do some research online for it, see if it is right for you.

So much nope here!
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back all the exercise calories your Fitbit is telling you you've burned?

Fitbits can be quite inaccurate, so it could be overestimating your workout calories, leading you to eat back too much.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    have you try Intermittent fasting, that is where you only eat 3 or 2 times a day between select hours. The idea is to get your body to start using ketos( the body's own fat cells) for fuel and not glucose (sugars). it is a good way to break a plateau. when I get into a plateau or come off a cheat day (like yesterday) I start intermittent fasting. I normal do a 8/16 and work up to a 4/20 (that is I eat in an 8hour windows and fast for 16 hrs, and work to a 4hour windows (1:30 to 5:30) and fast for 20hours.) *No snacking*. If you are looking to break your Plateau (that is what it sounds like). I would start by changing your macro's to a 60%,30%,10% of F,P,C). the higher fat intakr will keep your felling full, along with the veggies ( you want to eat around 7 cups or so). So start Have a good big dinner with good protein , fats and a big salad. and in the morning, if you are not hunger skip breakfast or push it back an hour or so. you keep doing this till you can make it to lunch with out any hunger, before long you will find yourself with a lot of energy, and only eating when your really need to.
    you can still work out when intermittent fasting, HiiT workouts are highly recommend.
    If you have now guess yet, cut out all sugars, and cards (starches, breads, and grains). The idea is keep your Blood sugar from spiking when you eat. I would do some research online for it, see if it is right for you.

IF and keto are two different things.also IF doesnt mean only 2-3 times a day you can eat any time and how many times you want in that time period. I can fit 3 meals and 2-3 snacks in 8 hrs if I want. and when in ketosis you burn the fat you consume. its not a magic body fat burning way or eating. higher fat intake being satiating depends on the person. and you dont have to cut out carbs(which are sugars(aka carbs,including fruits and some most veggies.In a normal person blood sugar spikes as well it just doesnt have the effects that it does on a diabetic. IF doesnt guarantee ketosis either. for many people its hard to get into ketosis in the beginning. Ketosis is also not sustainable for everyone.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I don't always eat back all my calories but I haven't had any problems with Fitbit. That's just me though. Even without using the calories it adds, it can be a great tool to keep you moving.