Carbs at night

Options
I heard that it's so bad to eat carbs at night because at this time the metabolism rate going down so the carb's calories will turn and store as fat in the body. Is that right? Did anyone have carbs at late night and lost weight?

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Your body doesnt know what time it is....

If you took a plane across the world would you have to eat only at night to not gain weight if your body is stuck on your timezone?

I eat majority at night

Edit to add- Just had a giant plate of fries and its midnight. Oh no im going to get fat. Except im not. I do this every night fries and icecream xD
  • jaci66
    jaci66 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Nope. Total BS as I see it.
  • maitham09
    maitham09 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate your respond. Good luck everyone
  • FeelingAlive
    FeelingAlive Posts: 117 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I do want to add that one's metabolism does slow down slightly while you sleep (core body temperature can drop one degree Celsius) but it won't affect your diet and therefore the time of your meals is irrelevant in that regard. I eat carbs at every meal.
  • thunderchild007
    thunderchild007 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    "give me carbs lots of carbs to the starry sky above....."

Eat my biggest meal between 6:00pm - 7:30pm and it's always got a big serve of carbs.

I does like my carbs!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You aren't going to have a net storage of fat when you are in an overall calorie deficit.

Even when I ate almost 700g of carbs in a day but was in a calorie deficit I would have had a net loss of fat.

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Just for the record if you're asking because you're not losing the way you want to and you've decided carbs might be to blame it's not. It would be because you're eating too many calories. They might come from carbs you crave at night, but it's not the source of calories or the timing of eating them. It's the calories in the food.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I eat low Carbs. But, that is for a very specific reason (and I love me some carbs!!! They just don't love me back.....) It is a Class 1 Felony here in North Carolina if you do not eat carbs.....LOL!!!!!! But, the carbs that I eat (usually a full sweet potato - I know, I know....how cliche!) I eat either as my last meal or in the late afternoon.

Pretty sure that you can eat anything at anytime. The big concept is that Caloric Input needs to be exceeded by Caloric Output to loose weight. Or, Caloric Input needs to exceed Caloric Output to gain weight. And, if Caloric Input is equal to Caloric Output, you neither loose nor gain.

I also practice Intermittent Fasting (again, because of that 'very specific reason'). Now, I try to do the 6PM to 9AM "no food" zone....I don't always make that. But 7PM to 9AM I do everyday. So, in that case not only is it "no carbs at night" it is "no food at night"!

So, maybe there was more to the story than 'no carbs at night'? Anyway, just my two cents. And, yes - I have heard the same thing. In fact, a youtuber I used to follow...her father and she got into a discussion about this very topic several months ago.

It is indeed amazing at the level of ignorance out there! Thank the good Lord above that there are forums like this so that we can change that! And, I include myself in the 'ignorant'! So, not criticizing anyone. Not yet! :wink:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    BULLCRAP..carbs provide energy. You don't need no energy before going to sleep hence, eating carbs at night is a bad idea.

The double negative almost makes some sense out of your statement, if you had said eating carbs late at night is an irrelevance that might have worked.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    What is this thing SCIENCE that you mention? LOL!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    What is this thing SCIENCE that you mention? LOL!

a word than many people don't seem to be familiar with i don't think...
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Oh, that thing in 6th Grade where we talked about planets and things? All of that way out stuff? I wanna say that I think that it sounds familiar. Maybe. And, the stuff about Chemistry in the 11th Grade and the stuff about Physics in 12th Grade? That stuff? Nope. Never heard of that stuff. The 6th Grade stuff....sure! but not the other stuff!

That is okay (well, not really.....not at all, not one bit). Maybe critical thinking (and I would contend that is the bigger issue here) will return....maybe!
  • maitham09
    maitham09 Posts: 26 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Just for the record if you're asking because you're not losing the way you want to and you've decided carbs might be to blame it's not. It would be because you're eating too many calories. They might come from carbs you crave at night, but it's not the source of calories or the timing of eating them. It's the calories in the food.

I am always under my calories limit so I am doing good since I started my diet. I like the idea that you mentioned about the calories and my limits. I just got confused because this article that talking about carbs and late night. You guys make it clear right now.