I got fat!?! What now?

Options
ginnyspencer1
ginnyspencer1 Posts: 16 Member
edited October 2017 in Getting Started
I've gained 50 lbs in the last 3 years and don't recognize myself. It's really devastated my self esteem and confidence at work, in my relationship and with friends. The stress and depression back it hard to get going to do what must be done to fix this. Anybody been there? How did you get going?

Replies

• talkaboutluck89
    talkaboutluck89 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes! I've gained so much weight since having my son and I honestly hate it I don't even feel like a person any more!
  • ginnyspencer1
    ginnyspencer1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that pic is from 3 years ago when I was active on here and before the weight gain. Today is my first day back here in awhile. I've got to get back to that. Keto was fantastic and I did it for nearly 2 years back then. I need to get back into it.
  • SoulOfALion5
    SoulOfALion5 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yep, I was at my heaviest almost 50 days ago. I seen a reflection in a window of myself sitting at work. Honestly, I didn't recognize the person in the reflection. I've never been thin in my entire life and I never will be and to be honest I never want to be. Although I do want to be slimmer than I am now and to be healthy.

Begin slow, log your meals and get active.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I downloaded the app, set a weight goal, and ate the amount of food it told me to. Threw in some cardio for general health -- and also to allow me to eat more! -- and that was it. All it took to motivate me were some photos that showed me exactly what I looked like overweight, after promising myself I'd never look like that.
  • jennwill3
    jennwill3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am stuck right now to. I am was on the ball and had surgery. I am having so much trouble getting back to where I was. It is hard.
  • Coffeebear0178
    Coffeebear0178 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    "We all have got this!!!"
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm headed to water parks for spring break with the kids this year so its time to get back at it.
  • pagano606
    pagano606 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I saw a quote on here (MFP) awhile ago...."It's hard being overweight, it's hard losing weight, choose one."
    This gets me through those doubtful, difficult times. Not that I still don't have bad days but this usually brings me back around :).
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Thanks, that pic is from 3 years ago when I was active on here and before the weight gain. Today is my first day back here in awhile. I've got to get back to that. Keto was fantastic and I did it for nearly 2 years back then. I need to get back into it.

You did keto. You stopped doing keto and gained 50 pounds. So, now you're going to do keto again? What do you think will happen this time when you hit goal and quit doing keto?

It does not sound like keto is a sustainable solution for you. Maybe just do a reasonable calorie deficit, eating the foods you like and can continue to eat when you reach your goal weight would be a more sustainable solution for the long term?
  • dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    Options

You did keto. You stopped doing keto and gained 50 pounds. So, now you're going to do keto again? What do you think will happen this time when you hit goal and quit doing keto?

It does not sound like keto is a sustainable solution for you. Maybe just do a reasonable calorie deficit, eating the foods you like and can continue to eat when you reach your goal weight would be a more sustainable solution for the long term?

+1
    Ask any of the long time maintainers here and they'll tell you the same. The key to losing and maintaining your loss is to find what works and stick to it. It doesn't have to be Keto.
    Keto will help you lose weight but it's not the end all be all, all you really need is a calorie deficit. Hell I eat carbs like crazy and I still lose weight.
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat but 15 pounds and 15 pounds of fat is a HUGE difference in clothing... everything is tight - most frustrating? My pants rolling down. I'm fed up and so I returned to MFP - good first step !

Next step - identify your main issues, triggers and how you sabotage yourself . When it comes down to it, we need to decide what we want more - to be healthy and feel good about our bodies OR to eat whatever we want, whenever we want ... - I want to change and so do you ! That's why we are here :)

I've identified that my issue is late night snacking- my trigger is simply staying up until midnight and watching Netflix... last night I went to bed at 10am instead of 12 and I did NOT snack! So proud :D we all gotta start somewhere!

As an added challenge I asked a co worker if they wanted to have a water challenge and we are starting today!

Joining posts in this community like 'late night snacking' helps keep me accountable .
    Always up for new friends ! Add me if you want more support.