I want to get sushi tonight, no calories on the menu

2»

Replies

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited November 2017
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    Noelishere wrote: »
    A lot of restaurants have their nutritional info on the database or online? Just look for something similar.

Can't find it but I will try something similar, each restaurant makes their rolls differently so it can get confusing.

Just guesstimate as best you can. And DO NOT weigh yourself tomorrow...

I disagree with this - I would weigh myself if that is my normal routine. Understand the impact that your calorie consumption / macros mix / sugar and sodium consumption / etc. have on your weight and never put on blinders or engage in self-deception, as that will only impair your progress...

The only reason I said it was that sushi is often very high in sodium so the scales could shoot up which freaks out a lot of people...

To each their own

Absolutely, if a meal has several thousand mgs of sodium, I am definitely showing a weight gain the following morning. I don't mind having that documented, but you are right, that could disturb people if they don't expect it
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Here is a great site I found that lists different rolls because nobody eats just one kind of roll....or just one roll for that matter. All you can eat Sushi is a killer, and sounds soooo good. http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-health/calories-in-sushi/
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    I would stick to simple rolls like the above said. They run about 200 calories per roll if you get California, avocado, salmon, veggie rolls, etc. Personally don’t like cooked rolls so it’s easier to avoid the fried bits.
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    I go to sushi every Monday. I just eat lightly that day and look in the database for something similar. I error on the side of caution and typically try to over estimate and also leave myself a few calories of wiggle room in case I'm still somehow under guessing the calories.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Or opt for sashimi or nigiri, which don't have all the crazy ingredients-- sashimi is just a slice of fish on a ball of white rice, and nigiri is just raw pieces of fish! Sushi in general is not usually calorie-laden, per se, but definitely avoid anything with "crunchy" in the name or any sauces, especially those that already come on the roll you order if you're looking to skip on the extra calories. Good luck!

Minor point, but it's the other way around. Sashimi is the plain raw meat served by itself. Nigiri sushi is fish (or other ingredient) served on top of a small wad of rice.
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    For "sushi" I keep to some rules when guesstimating:
    • I assume approximately half the weight of the roll is sushi rice.
    • I pay careful attention to any rolls that contain any sort of 'sauce,' which I then assume is entirely mayonnaise.
    • Any fish I cannot identify I assume is an oily fish such as mackerel for calories.
    • If anything in it is obviously fried like shrimp tempura, I just estimate those calories separately.

As for actually ordering in a sushi restaurant, to avoid the highest calorie count, I recommend:
    • Skip the volcano roll or any other roll that uses a lot of mayonnaise.
    • Skip rolls with fried things in them.
    • Eat fish and vegetable rolls.
    • Consider the salmon teriyaki, without sauce if you prefer.
  • Noelishere
    Noelishere Posts: 22 Member
    Noelishere wrote: »
    A lot of restaurants have their nutritional info on the database or online? Just look for something similar.

Can't find it but I will try something similar, each restaurant makes their rolls differently so it can get confusing.

Just guesstimate as best you can. And DO NOT weigh yourself tomorrow...

I disagree with this - I would weigh myself if that is my normal routine. Understand the impact that your calorie consumption / macros mix / sugar and sodium consumption / etc. have on your weight and never put on blinders or engage in self-deception, as that will only impair your progress...

The only reason I said it was that sushi is often very high in sodium so the scales could shoot up which freaks out a lot of people...

To each their own

Absolutely, if a meal has several thousand mgs of sodium, I am definitely showing a weight gain the following morning. I don't mind having that documented, but you are right, that could disturb people if they don't expect it

I did weigh myself the next day since it is my routine, I totally understand why some people wouldn't. I like to keep track of my weight every day to make sure I'm not gaining, that's how I gained 20 lbs over the years. So I try to stay consistent.

The sushi was so good but the next day I had to have strong willpower, it was harder than normal but nevertheless I went back to the norm.

I got so many great tips thanks everyone
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    davidylin wrote: »
    For "sushi" I keep to some rules when guesstimating:
    • I assume approximately half the weight of the roll is sushi rice.
    • I pay careful attention to any rolls that contain any sort of 'sauce,' which I then assume is entirely mayonnaise.
    • Any fish I cannot identify I assume is an oily fish such as mackerel for calories.
    • If anything in it is obviously fried like shrimp tempura, I just estimate those calories separately.

As for actually ordering in a sushi restaurant, to avoid the highest calorie count, I recommend:
    • Skip the volcano roll or any other roll that uses a lot of mayonnaise.
    • Skip rolls with fried things in them.
    • Eat fish and vegetable rolls.
    • Consider the salmon teriyaki, without sauce if you prefer.

I tend to simplify my guesses even more:

1.) Basic rolls (a la tuna roll or yellowtail roll, one type of fish and rice only, usually the diameter of a quarter): 200 calories

2.) Basic rolls with sauce, mayo, avocado, and/or fried ingredients (a la eel, spicy tuna, or California rolls): 350 calories

3.) Large specialty rolls (Godzilla, Volcano, and the like): 650 calories

4.) Sashimi: ~30-50 calories per piece, less for white fish or shellfish, more for oily fish

5.) Nigiri sushi: ~40-60 calories per piece, less for white fish or shellfish, more for oily fish