WORK/LIFE/ FAMILY/WORKOUT BALANCE STRUGGLE

Hello Ladies and Gents...I am having the hardest time with finding a decent workout, meal prep, work, and sleep balance. I am a mother of a 5 year old who just started Kindergarten in the early fall and they do NOT take naps which he has been used to in pr-k. All the work out classes I am used to taking and LOVE at the gym are at night and start at 7 meaning they are over at 8. Too late for us to get home, eat, and get ready for the next day at 9.

I STRUGGLE GETTING OUT OF THE BED TO GET READY FOR A 5 AM WORKOUT, BUT IT IS NEEDED TO PROPERLY TEND TO MY KID.

I am also back in school, work full time, and I hate eating meal prep past 3 days because it simply tastes gross( could be just mental). I also need at least 6-7 hours of sleep at night to properly function.

AM I THE ONLY PERSON WHO STRUGGLES WITH THIS?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    What time do you go to bed? Make it earlier so the 5am get ups are manageable.
  • The_Weaze
    The_Weaze Posts: 512 Member
    I meal prep on Sunday and Wednesday so my food tastes fresh.
    I compromise and work out at 5am three days a week and then commit to another 1 or 2 workouts on the weekend so it's not as bad.
    If I have to miss a morning workout I go to the gym right after work and my kids go to the child watching for an hour, then we have an easy supper when we get home.
    I make sure I go to bed by 9:30 at the latest so I get enough sleep.

I have 3 young boys. You have to figure out what is going to work and what sacrifices you're willing to make to get it done.

• RastaLousGirl
    RastaLousGirl Posts: 2,119 Member
    I did struggle with this. My 2 year old likes to sleep most of the day and up at night. I have tried everything to get her back on schedule, and she just is on her own schedule. Now, my fiancé started working nights, so it actually works out. He is on her schedule. So, I get up at 4 am, do my work out between 5 and 6 am, and then get ready for work. He is up with her at night, so I am able to try and get to sleep around 8pm or 9 pm. Honestly, without his help, it would be extremely hard. But, he helps me meal prep and we both make sure we get sleep. Right now, this really works for us. Of course, we all still get up early and go out and about, so I am only referring to the average day.

I believe the trick is finding when you have the alone time to focus on you. In my case, it is early in the morning, while the two are sleeping. I have quite a few hours before the day's activities begin. Waking up this early really took discipline, and finally it became my daily routine. :smile:
  • Just_NeNe24
    Just_NeNe24 Posts: 23 Member
    @TavisockToad I am normally in bed by 10:30-11:00 pm
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

I couldn't get up at 5 if I did that...
  • RastaLousGirl
    RastaLousGirl Posts: 2,119 Member

I couldn't get up at 5 if I did that...

Yeah, it is pretty tough.
  • Just_NeNe24
    @The_Weaze yeah I do the evening classes sometimes. I guess I will have to find a decent balance. :-)
  • Just_NeNe24
    @TavisockToad and @ToniLeeAnn82 it is very tough but that's what needs to done. I was just trying to find helpful tips if you all had any on the balance. :-)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited November 2017
    Maybe find something else besides these classes? Maybe just do a DVD at home? Maybe go for 30 minutes most days instead of an hour? Is there a dad in the picture who can help with things? Maybe don't do meal prep? I've never really done meal prep other than throwing together my breakfast and lunch the evening before...my lunch is often just leftovers or I make a sandwich or something.

ETA: I've been crazy busy the last 2-3 months with the madness that is going on at work and a wonky schedule along with house hunting, making and offer, and going through the closing process. My exercise schedule has not been what it typically is because ultimately when you're talking about balance, you can't prioritize everything the same...something had to give so instead of my normal scheduled out rides and gym time, I had to just go with flow and do what I could do, when I could do it, as with what was currently going on, it was the least important of priorities.

Things should fortunately start calming down around here tomorrow and I should be able to get back to normal.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    You have a lot going on.

If you're going to make it all work set a schedule and stick to it no matter what. No wingin' it, no "I don't feel like it", no "I'll do it later".

Alternately, you can prioritize your commitments and go down the line getting them done in order of importance whatever doesn't get done at the end of the day just doesn't get done.

Lastly, you could cut some things out and focus on fewer commitments.

In any case and plan and a strict schedule is going to be your best friend.
  • Just_NeNe24
    @cwolfman13 yes meal prepping is the worse. Hopefully things calm down for you soon. Thanks for your response.
  • Just_NeNe24
    @ladyhusker39 yes, I indeed have a lot going on and they all have to be attended to :-)...but I will be working on a schedule and just sticking to it NO MATTER WHAT!
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    I agree with what someone previously mentioned about trying home workout DVDs. For the last year I've been working 60 - 70 hour weeks and the only way I was able to get myself to work out was to get that DVD on because it was 30 minutes and I was already home. Going to a facility really eats up your time. I don't meal prep with all of the containers and such. My weekday meals are generally the same; breakfast wraps made with microwaved Perdue short cuts, hummus, avocado, and baby spinach. Lunch is generally a Lean Cuisine (I always look for sales and stock up) and a side salad with light dressing. I mix up my snacks and such; Greek yogurts with granola, nuts and a cheese stick, a protein shake, banana on a slice of toast with PB, etc.
  • Just_NeNe24
    yes workout DVDs are good and I also use the Nike Training App which helps me as well. All good suggestions thanks so much
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    I don't do bulk meal prep very often. It's not at all required. I use a food scale and just weigh things as I go. If I don't have time to log, I take a pic of the food on the scale, zero it out, add the next ingredient, picture, zero it out, etc and later when I have time I go through the pics and add each ingredient with grams to my diary.

You don't need to work out to lose weight. The most flexible workout option is probably youtube videos. I love Fitness Blender because they have loads of free no-equipment workouts. Do them with your kiddo!

Another "meal prep" option is to go more with portioned frozen foods/ready meals. I like bags of steamed veggies in the freezer aisle.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    I agree with the meal prep after three days issue. You could make some things like chili or other bulk food that freezes well. . . if I make a large batch of something, I prefer to freeze it in small portions instead of refrigerating it. And really, if you're incredibly short on time, there's nothing wrong with having frozen meals from the store, bagged salad mixes, and rotisserie chicken a few times a week.
  • jlong812000
    jlong812000 Posts: 1 Member
    Almost literally in the same boat. I have two kids one 9 and the other just turned 2 today. I have to leave for work at 615am so well before anyone is awake for school which means home workout DVDs are out. I always hear things like you just have to make it work or find the time but can anyone really tell me where to find the time when work is an hour away and I want to be more than just a part-time dad as my wife calls me which means after work workouts don't get to happen. Financially we can not afford to join a 24/7 gym which leaves working out at home in the early AM trying to not wake up anyone. I mean how can I crawl out of bed at 4 am to work out when all I want to do is sleep....*sigh* rant over.