Weight loss wows

Options
2»

Replies

• Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    First rule of weight loss... ALWAYS talk about weight loss.

As hard as it may be, emotions need to be kept separate (with few exceptions) imho. If you come here asking for advice you need to read, listen and learn. On the internet you will not be coddled and will get honest sometimes discouraging advice. What is said may be hard to hear, but it helps to go in it with a clear head and the reality that no one is attacking you and are only answering you based on the information given.

My advice to your problem since you did ask: probably inaccuracy in logging exercise calories and food.
    It truly is CICO and if it's not working for you, take a step back, try something different and learn about what works for you.
  • DamienAngelica
    DamienAngelica Posts: 281 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    wjfairman wrote: »
    Sorry I asked! I guess I’ll just figure it out on my own. I was on this blog one other time and now I know why I haven’t been back.

No need to be snippy. Your post wasn't clear because you headed it "Weight loss wows," then asked what your problem was. Then you didn't respond when people asked for clarification. Like many others have already said, it sounds like you're overestimating your exercise burns and understating your calorie counts so you're not really eating at a deficit.

I took a quick peek at your diary and it looks like you're using the stated calorie counts for packaged food. Weigh everything; even packaged food. I eat an English muffin with breakfast nearly every day and the weight ranges from 55 - 59 grams. (On the package, a serving size is 57 grams.) Maybe those few calories either way won't make or break a daily deficit, but it's better to be as precise as possible with everything, packaged or not.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    This is also a useful article, where someone compares the Apple watch's calorie estimates to Fitbit's: https://www.kirkville.com/how-accurate-is-the-apple-watch-as-a-fitness-tracker/
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Ya'll, don't gang up on OP. Yes, OP wasn't super clear with the original post, but it's not tough to figure out the question.

OP, keep in mind that HRMs and calories burned calculators are notoriously inaccurate. I got a new FitBit the other day and it told me that I was burning WAAAY more calories than reasonable, and I had to switch arms and turn down its sensitivity.

Could you please tell us how you're measuring the calories eaten? Are you weighing your food or just eyeballing portion sizes?
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I looked at your diary and it doesn't look complete, and it's kind of generic.

- I see a lot of cabbage: are you cooking it with anything? Oil? Sauces?
    - The corn bread -- is that a pre-cooked bread? Are you weighing those pieces? There could be a HIGH calorie variance between piece sizes.
    - The half & half in your coffee: how much of it are you putting in? That's got to be measured with cups/spoons/milligrams
    - You're drinking a whole lot of wine but putting in generic wine. Could you be drinking a more caloric wine? Are you just eyeballing the 2 oz?
    - There's a lot of beer. Are you maybe bloating after drinking and retaining water? Is there a chance you're snacking while drinking and not realizing it?
    - Pretty sure I saw "rainbow roll" sushi. Keep in mind that things like this could be VASTLY different in size and calories from one restaurant to the next. You're probably using a whole lot of soy sauce with that, which you didn't log, and which has sodium that could cause you to hold on to water weight

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    Ya'll, don't gang up on OP. Yes, OP wasn't super clear with the original post, but it's not tough to figure out the question.

OP, keep in mind that HRMs and calories burned calculators are notoriously inaccurate. I got a new FitBit the other day and it told me that I was burning WAAAY more calories than reasonable, and I had to switch arms and turn down its sensitivity.

Could you please tell us how you're measuring the calories eaten? Are you weighing your food or just eyeballing portion sizes?

who is Y'all...I see lots of responses mine included that addressed her "question" without any "ganging up on"
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Taking a wild guess at what you are asking.

MFP has you at 1500 cals to lose a certain amount of weight.

Eat all those calories- what you like, when you like and work towards meeting your nutrition goals.

To make sure you are accurate use a food scale for all foods, yes even single serving packages.

Make sure you are using accurate entries. The entry on the package of food should match the MFP entry.
    For single foods, grains, meat, fish, veg, use food with the info from the USDA.
    Use grams for all solids, not cups and spoons- they are for liquids, which you should also measure.

I don't use a Fitbit, but they can over or under estimate.
    If, once you have your food logging in order, you are still not losing at the expected rate, drop your Fitbit added calories by 25% for a month and see how that works.

Cheers, h.

This was the 6th post. A reasonable tone and useful info given the lack of direction you gave @wjfairman.

wjfairman wrote: »
    Sorry I asked! I guess I’ll just figure it out on my own. I was on this blog one other time and now I know why I haven’t been back.

Looks like the post was ignored, no wonder I have backed off replying to posts in general- burn out happens.

Cheers, h.
  • jaci66
    jaci66 Posts: 139 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Can't read your mind. CICO does work. If you're not losing weight, then you need to consider a few things. Are your food entries actually accurate? Do you measure your foods every time? Or do you estimate their weights?

Our little toys called fitness devices like your Apple, my Fitbit are tools - guidelines. They keep you motivated to get off your duff and move. They aren't perfect. No one is perfect. But, you can do your best in making all the numbers work right.

I don't do HIIT, so I don't know what it actually means. But, I've continually lost weight (40 lbs since mid-June) and all I've done is eat better, following CICO and weighing my foods as well as walking; just simple walking.