Do you regularly use fitness devices to track your progress? Have they ever discouraged ur progress?

Options

Replies

• 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    [quote=Read a comparison on the two and the only real difference is the ionics ability to use your phone GPS to track runs (as well as a esthetics).[/quote]

The Blaze uses your phone GPS to track runs, ionics has in built GPS. I traded the surge for the blaze because I have issues with the silicone bands causing allergic reactions but I miss the built in GPS. Cant really justify upgrading to a inoinc just yet since my blaze only about 6 months old. Plus I am a bit over the bulky look for everyday.

I've mainly used Fitbit, upgrading each time the next thing comes out, I am suprised you didnt get the fitbit aria scale over the witherings.

I like the tracker, I go through phases of being super keen but even when I am over it I still use the basic info in the app plus i use it as an alarm clock.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    After over 2 years, the 2 devices I still use

Vivoactive 1
    Misfit Shine

I've replaced the band on the Vivoactive, and upgraded the band on the shine, but they're durable, consistent/accurate, and sync with MFP.

I had a Jawbone UP and UP3. Neither stood up to daily wear.

Apps. Loseit with my Healthometer scale.
    MFP
    Connect
    Misfit app
    Strava
    C25K
    Zombies Run

Strava allows me to track metrics better, although the Calorie estimates are obscene.

• Lellite81
    Lellite81 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Dear,

Until now I have used the AppleWatch2 and Samsung Gear. I know, I know, those are not really fitness trackers, but I am quite new to this fitness Spiel, so you have to forgive me:) Since, as I already mentioned, those are not fitness trackers, I was not really impressed with that side of their functionality, so I purchased Fitbit Ionic and Aria scale from Fitbit. I use them with the Fitbit App and of course myfitnespal as well, since they are compatible.
    Now a bit about my impressions. I really appreciate that the Fitbit Ionic has this extremely long battery life, which means that I am charging it 3x in 2 weeks only, so the rest of the time it is on my wrist and registering every move and every calorie burned. This is the first time I have an overview of what my body burns in order to see how much I should eat to lose weight.
    I bought the Fitbit watch and scale 1st October and have been using them up to now. I have lost a few kilos since then and this is the first time that I feel inspired by the results I read from my devices, and have the patience to register my meals, since the overall picture is complete. It is a bit hard to explain and I believe that everyone of us has his own way of coping with his weight loss journey, but this one seems to work for me.

Let me know if you wish to know more from my experience.
    Cheers!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I use a polar H7 heart rate monitor (chest strap) with an HRV app to track my heart rate variability. It's great for determining the need for a recovery day.
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 356 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I don't know why, but I swear by my Polar A300. I love chest strap HRM's because they seem to have more accurate burns than say the EVIL FITBIT or wrist based HRM's. When a watch gives you "steps" for clapping your hands, it's bullSH*T. If a watch doesn't register a heart rate over 70bpm on a Stairmaster at level 10, it's BullSh*t. It's reasoning for this? Because I wasn't walking/running/elliptical or moving my arms like you would on those other machines. I started not eating back my exercise calories this year but I still liked seeing a good calorie burn anyways which I didn't get with the fitbit. So, I love my Polar as it's also water proof (I swim and shower with it) and wear it as a watch. It's also durable as I run into things a lot. The fitbit broke twice within a year. The Polar app is free and the watch with the heart rate monitor is only about 90-100$ on amazon.
    Oh and both watches have the sleep option to measure the amount of sleep you get a night so that's a handy option too.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    LOVE my fitbit charge 2.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Fenix 3 HR and love it. It has a continuous HRM and calculates calories burned 24 hours per day and calculates performance metrics, counts steps and stairs ascended, has GPS, tracks sleep, has an altimeter, barometer, and temp sensor, is waterproof to 100m so you can track swims, integrates with your phone through Bluetooth, and a lot of other functions. It has a long battery life and the associated phone app is easy to use. It also has customizable watch faces and you can change watch bands so it can coordinate with pretty much anything you wear (at work, social events, etc.)
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    MissDeevi wrote: »
    ritzvin wrote: »
    I use a Garmin 920XT.. Had the features I wanted (detailed custom intervals for training; ability to upload courses with turn cues; compatibility with heart rate monitors (with a good accelerometer), cadence sensors, speed sensor, power meter, etc; good visibility with 4 visible fields per screen (fully customizable); compatibility with almost all training analysis software/sites; very good reception; long battery life compared to similar devices.. I'll probably upgrade to a Fenix when this one dies if not too much heavier/larger (it combined many of the outdoor line features into the triathlon line and added the ability to upload a basemap to the watch; also longer battery life).

For analyzing runs and rides after the fact, I use a combination of Garmin Connect (the other sites will not have the accelerometer data showing me whether my gait was F*d up in spots), Endomondo (a good breakdown of personal bests through the run and PR's over time for various distances, custom training plans), Strava (group stuff, tracking my progress on hill climbs), and Ridewithgps (mainly used for planning routes and exporting course file with turn cues, but they also have nice bar plots comparing the average grade versus speed - I like to check that on hill rides).

What would I recommend?.. Well, what are you training for, and what do you need from your device?

The databases for most of the other calorie counting software is woefully tiny in comparison which is why I settled with MFP a few years ago. UA came on after MFP was already highly used and already linked to other frequently used devices/sites. Does Under Armour even make a tracking device and/or wireless scale to be trying to sell one?

First off, holy smokes thats a lot of apps lol That is kind of what I was referring to when I said one app for all the info. It is time consuming to go through them all just to build a complete picture of your workout. I've download the Endomondo and STrava but I'm not much of an outdoor runner.

As for training, I dont really "train" I just workout for weight management and health. It is a godsend for my fibromyalgia.

And have you not been to the Shop on the MFP site? They have the UA Watch, the UA Scale (its on sale btw), UA Runbelt, UA HRM, various UA Headphones, and the UA Healthbox bundle.

1. In that case, I wouldn't bother checking data on (any of) the training sites - especially Strava. Strava's best features are all GPS-based (group flyby's, progress on segments) - so not much to get out of it if working out indoors. (depending on what you do for your workout, I'm not sure I would actually bother using a tracking device at all.. A treadmill will tell you distance, calorie estimate; and if you only run outdoors occasionally and not aiming for specific times/paces/cadence/etc and don't need this info available on your wrist, there are free phone apps that will track for you). If you are mainly looking for an electronic step tracker, than I'm not much help there.
    2. Nope. Never bothered browsing their site for accessories. I do love their sports bras and baselayer tops in the heat gear line though.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I don't know why, but I swear by my Polar A300. I love chest strap HRM's because they seem to have more accurate burns ...

So how many heart beats are there in a calorie anyway?
  • Bry_Fitness70
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I don't know why, but I swear by my Polar A300. I love chest strap HRM's because they seem to have more accurate burns ...

HR is just one of several variables used to calculate calories burned.
  • MissDeevi
    MissDeevi Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    30kgin2017 wrote: »
    [quote=Read a comparison on the two and the only real difference is the ionics ability to use your phone GPS to track runs (as well as a esthetics).

The Blaze uses your phone GPS to track runs, ionics has in built GPS. I traded the surge for the blaze because I have issues with the silicone bands causing allergic reactions but I miss the built in GPS. Cant really justify upgrading to a inoinc just yet since my blaze only about 6 months old. Plus I am a bit over the bulky look for everyday.

I've mainly used Fitbit, upgrading each time the next thing comes out, I am suprised you didnt get the fitbit aria scale over the witherings.

I like the tracker, I go through phases of being super keen but even when I am over it I still use the basic info in the app plus i use it as an alarm clock. [/quote]

That is hilarious. The review was on a Wearables site haha they went on and on about how they were the same except the Ionic used your phones GPS. I will have to link this thread on their page. Thanks for the info! :)
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »

The most consistently accurate ways to gauge calorie use during exercise all ignore heart rate. Granted that many of them aren't universal available, but that should tell you something about the value of HR for calories. My HR is currently elevated as I sit at my desk, because I've just had a coffee.
  • MissDeevi
    Options

haha I just read that comment. It actually amazes me how we, as humans, were able to narrow down the unit of measurement for human energy and fuel. That must have taken a lot of thinking outside the box and probably a good deal of ridicule from their peers before the scientific world jumped on board.

As for your response, absolutely true. People with more muscle mass burn more calories than those without even if they weigh the same and Heart Rates were identical. How often you breath, even mannerisms. Someone who tosses and turns burns more during the night than a sound sleeper though they probably aren't as healthy overall and spend their day drinking coffee lol I also use to think it was funny that "Sitting in Car, Driving" was an activity/exercise you could add to your daily diary lol
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    The guys in le Tour burn way more calories than I do because they have more fitness than I do. That allows them to do more work than I can, in the same amount of time. That's why they're racing up mountain stages and I'm not. They also do it at a lower heart rate than I do, again because they have more fitness than I do. Lower HR, higher calorie burn.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Options

The most consistently accurate ways to gauge calorie use during exercise all ignore heart rate. Granted that many of them aren't universal available, but that should tell you something about the value of HR for calories. My HR is currently elevated as I sit at my desk, because I've just had a coffee.

Right, if you take a stimulant or have a coworker jump out and yell "boo!", your HR will certainly escalate. It also happens when you exercise, so if you go on a run and your HR, which has been averaging 55 bpm, escalates to 130 bpm throughout the run (no caffeine or startling incidents) and then returns to normal shortly thereafter, there is an excellent chance that your exercise is primarily responsible for that, and therefore the inclusion of your HR in the calorie burn formula is useful. Until something better comes along that can be widely (cheaply) utilized, it is either that or generic tables that don't include a factor for degree of intensity.
  • MissDeevi
    edited November 2017
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    1. In that case, I wouldn't bother checking data on (any of) the training sites - especially Strava. Strava's best features are all GPS-based (group flyby's, progress on segments) - so not much to get out of it if working out indoors. (depending on what you do for your workout, I'm not sure I would actually bother using a tracking device at all.. A treadmill will tell you distance, calorie estimate; and if you only run outdoors occasionally and not aiming for specific times/paces/cadence/etc and don't need this info available on your wrist, there are free phone apps that will track for you). If you are mainly looking for an electronic step tracker, than I'm not much help there.
    2. Nope. Never bothered browsing their site for accessories. I do love their sports bras and baselayer tops in the heat gear line though.

Well, at my heaviest I was 190lbs and I've always been a calorie counter so it made sense to track the calories I burnt. Other than a quick warm up, I dont generally run. Me and my best friend who is also my workout partner like to refer to our preferred workout routine as "pilatesquatoga". It's mainly pilates with some yoga and general weight training/cardio mixed in.

As for monitoring my heart rate, I had a heart attack scare in the first 10 minutes of a workout a few years ago. They still aren't sure if it was a heart attack or TIA so I monitor for changes and inform my doctor when I notice something off. I have had palpitations in the past and both heart disease and strokes run in my family. After noticing my heart rate dropping to 20-30 bpm while sleeping my doctor was able to diagnose sleep apnea. Another instance it came in handy was when a different doctor in my GPs office switched my medication. She didn't inform me of the potential side effects so when I started noticing my HR NEVER dropped below 110bpm I called in and was told to immediately stop taking the medicine. Apparently the meds she gave me are known to increase peoples heart rates and can be deadly for people with heart issues. FYI, if anyone is ever prescribed Strattera, you may want to get a second opinion before filling that script.

Heart issues aside, keeping track of my daily activities and fitness is a HUGE help in watching what I eat. Knowing when to eat more or eat less forces me to pay closer attention to what I eat. By the time I had dropped 60lbs down from 176lb, my overall cholesterol had dropped gone from 156 to 126, my LDL went from 81 to 57 and my triglycerides dropped from 110 to 56. I dont attribute it all to the physical weight loss but the fact that I was putting better things in my body, making wiser choices and getting exercise that was much more beneficial than just hopping on an elliptical for an hour.

• MissDeevi
    Options

Oh yeah, they are absolutely more accurate. lol For sh**s and giggles I once wore my FT4 for two (almost whole) days. I did have to take it off to shower and what have you but one day was my usual workday and the second I just loafed around the house. Some pretty eye opening information I got from that lol On those lazy days you want to snack but based on the FT4, you definitely shouldn't loaf and snack.
  • MissDeevi
    Options
    LOVE my fitbit charge 2.

I just bought one for my mother this morning. Ill let her know it's got atleast one rave review haha
  • MissDeevi
    Options
    I have a Garmin Fenix 3 HR and love it. It has a continuous HRM and calculates calories burned 24 hours per day and calculates performance metrics, counts steps and stairs ascended, has GPS, tracks sleep, has an altimeter, barometer, and temp sensor, is waterproof to 100m so you can track swims, integrates with your phone through Bluetooth, and a lot of other functions. It has a long battery life and the associated phone app is easy to use. It also has customizable watch faces and you can change watch bands so it can coordinate with pretty much anything you wear (at work, social events, etc.)

The Fenix looks awesome. There's a ton of stuff packed into that little device with a price tag to prove it haha That's way more features than I'd even know what to do with but it seems to be a top choice for a lot of marathoners (im pretty sure thats not what they're called lol) and triathletes. Happy you found something that meets your needs :)
  • MissDeevi
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    I use a polar H7 heart rate monitor (chest strap) with an HRV app to track my heart rate variability. It's great for determining the need for a recovery day.

OK, I know I'm going to sound clueless here but what is an HRV app? lol I googled it and I got heart rate variability but I have no idea what the benefits of that are other than what you mentioned above. What are the variabilities it tracks? Probably asking a lot but could you give me an example?