Learning to like raw veggies?

Options
I want to train myself to enjoy eating raw veggies. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The reason I want to do this is because I want to eat food that's convenient and healthy. I already like cooked veggies...like carrots, celery, and sweet peppers...but I don't like them raw. HELP!

Replies

• iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I think this is one of those, if you're hungry enough you'll eat it deals. I only appreciate a few different vegetables when I am well and truly hungry. I don't know that you can train yourself to appreciate something your tastebuds aren't crazy about, but my suggestion would be to just eat the carrots, celery, whatever, if you're hell bent on it, and make it a habit.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    You learn to like new things with time and repeated exposure, an open mind and going out of your comfort zone without forcing yourself until you puke. It may also be easier if the new behavior has practical benefits, like convenience.

See if you can expand on things you're already doing or have done before. Do you eat salads? That's raw vegetables. Did you grow up snacking on carrots, or ants on a log? Pair raw vegetables with things you like. Hummus is popular, and dips made with sour cream/yogurt/cream cheese. Vegetables that are suited to eat raw, include peppers, cucumber, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, rutabaga, beets, sugar snap peas.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Snap peas are by far my favorite raw veggie.

Cauliflower has such a neutral taste to me, I think it would be pretty easy to eat raw without dips and such. Once you got used to cauliflower, work on broccoli....a stronger flavor, but in the same family.

Jicama - have you ever tried this? Nice peppery flavor. Great in salads.

Slaws - look for those with light dressings. Asian coleslaw. Jicama - Green Apple salad. Sweet & sour coleslaw (use Splenda).

A bit of a stretch - but I grew up eating green jello with an assortment of chopped veggies. Celery, cabbage and shredded carrot. Orange jello with shredded carrot & crushed pineapple.

(More) convenient cooked veggies? I bring fresh green beans to work and steam them 3.5 minutes in a ZipLock Zip-N steam or Glad-Simply Cooking bag.....rinse and reuse.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Put some in your purse or bring them to work. Try a variety of different ones. And then when hungry or in a mood for a snack, eat them. Think positive things about them and try to look forward to them. Try adding a bit of salt.

You may develop a taste for them, usually it depends on exposure.

Consider bringing along a dip like hummus or baba ganoush if you can put them in an office refrigerator or are snacking at home.

Also, eat them raw in other forms, like on a salad. Many of the vegetables I like on their own raw I also eat on salads. Remember a salad need not be lettuce-based, as there are tomato salads and cucumber salads that often are made without any greens, for just a couple of examples. Cole slaw is based on raw cabbage and other veg, make your dressing very light or vinegar based as a way of getting used to them.

Kohlrabi is really good raw, and so is jicama.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    One trick I've learned is that sometimes texture is a game changer. Try spiralizing things like cucumber, beet, turnip, jicima amd carrot. Cabbage is amazing when shredded really fine. When veggies are cut this way they hold a low fat dressing better. Choppiing cauliflower really fine can replace rice but it isn't starchy like rice. I've used it and it's not bad. The hungrier you are the better, lol.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Not a big fan of most raw veggies..the only ones I eat are cucumber, snap peas, and carrots really...or like red onion and bell pepper on a salad.

My healthy convenient foods are typically nuts, fruit, and jerky.
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    cucumbers are great when soaked in vinegar - sometimes I even add salt ! Bell peppers are easy on their own, if you like dipping in dressings, walden farms (found at walmart) has a line of products that are sugar free - just don't go crazy, and you have to be ok with the taste of sucralose ... HUMMUS is a great way to enjoy raw veggies as well !
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower can be blanched for just a few seconds in boiling water. Might help with the transition to raw.
  • nic_27_grassisgreener
    Options
    There's a book I recently heard about:
    First bites: how we learn to eat by Bee Wilson.

I haven't read it myself, but I heard her talk about her research into changing food preferences in children and adults. I believe she gives actual techniques to try. Might also be interesting to parents of small children.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

A bit of a stretch - but I grew up eating green jello with an assortment of chopped veggies. Celery, cabbage and shredded carrot. Orange jello with shredded carrot & crushed pineapple.

(More) convenient cooked veggies? I bring fresh green beans to work and steam them 3.5 minutes in a ZipLock Zip-N steam or Glad-Simply Cooking bag.....rinse and reuse.

wat?

Jell-O with vegetables? Carrots and pineapple??? Are we not going to talk about this? :worried:
  • khaleesikhaleesi
    khaleesikhaleesi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »

wat?

Jell-O with vegetables? Carrots and pineapple??? Are we not going to talk about this? :worried:

THIS WAS TOTALLY A THING BACK IN THE DAY! I think especially in the 50's-70's: Parents made their kids all kinds of things in jello.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

wat?

THIS WAS TOTALLY A THING BACK IN THE DAY! I think especially in the 50's-70's: Parents made their kids all kinds of things in jello.

So true!

@aeloine you can find old time recipes for Jello aspic (tomato juice & lemon jello)

https://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalindo/17-horrifyingly-disgusting-retro-gelatin-recipes?utm_term=.ygMnrqdmd#.kvDv72bjb
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

wat?

A brief-if-hilarious tutorial on all things enjellificated:

http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/jello/index.html
    http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/knox/index.html

ETA money quote: "Here's Mrs. Dewey again, giving the girls a taste of the newest, most up-to-date salad idea: Not Salad! At least not as it's commonly understood these days. Salad, as most people grasp the concept, is not a coherent mass with a certain structural integrety. But as you'll see, salad was re-imagined beyond the wildest dreams of the smart set. You'll note how they're all looking at her with a sense of happy expectation, but she seems a bit hesitant: no, dears, this is the salad I was talking about. The Jell-O. There's not another salad coming later. This is it."
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

wat?

So true!

@aeloine you can find old time recipes for Jello aspic (tomato juice & lemon jello)

https://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalindo/17-horrifyingly-disgusting-retro-gelatin-recipes?utm_term=.ygMnrqdmd#.kvDv72bjb

"Cucumber, celery, and lime Jello; one of these things is not like the other." :D
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I want to train myself to enjoy eating raw veggies. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The reason I want to do this is because I want to eat food that's convenient and healthy. I already like cooked veggies...like carrots, celery, and sweet peppers...but I don't like them raw. HELP!

I've slowly trained myself to like raw veggies. Of course they still don't taste as good as potato chips. But I now enjoy snacking on fresh raw veggies like broccoli, grape tomatoes, cauliflower, carrots, etc.

It's convenient and easy to buy those bags of pre-washed veggies at the grocery store. I have a long commute so I just open up a bag and slowly snack on it as I drive to work. At first I thought it was fairly gross, but after doing it for awhile I stopped minding the taste and texture. Then eventually I started to actually like them (assuming they're fresh). Just be aware that the sell-by dates on those veggies bags are usually exagerated. The veggies get pretty gross well before the sell-by date.
  • aeloine
    Options

wat?

So true!

"Cucumber, celery, and lime Jello; one of these things is not like the other." :D

THIS IS HILARIOUS.

I've seen the old timey "recipes" on gag sites but I didn't think anyone actually ATE the stuff LMAO
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options

wat?

So true!

THIS IS HILARIOUS.

I've seen the old timey "recipes" on gag sites but I didn't think anyone actually ATE the stuff LMAO

Just for laughs, I actually made a jello that had mayo, cucumber, pineapple, and lime jello.. it was actually amazing and now I crave it. :neutral:
  • aeloine
    Options

wat?

So true!

THIS IS HILARIOUS.

Just for laughs, I actually made a jello that had mayo, cucumber, pineapple, and lime jello.. it was actually amazing and now I crave it. :neutral:

*gasp* :weary:
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    Options

wat?

My grandma always served us orange jello with shredded carrots in it.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

wat?

Rosy Perfection Salad, anyone?
    oea1y4s3xouu.jpg