One month of Intermittent Fasting complete

Options

Replies

• isay808
    isay808 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to a recent study that was done at the University of Ottawa Heart Institute.
    https://www.ottawaheart.ca/media-release/and-fasting-helps-fight-obesity

Thanks for the article :) I see this as a permanent lifestyle change on a personal level.
  • isay808
    Options
    hughjazz74 wrote: »
    I've always wondered about the working out at the end of the fasting period... that's so awesome that you do it. I've always tried but find that 95% of the time I have no energy and am so excited to eat :) so skip the workout :( I need to get over that hump. I really do think that is key, awesome job!

I find that I have enough energy to hike, do hiit training but when it comes to lifting I perform at an optimal level post a nice tasty meal :)
    Take it one step at a time, and listen to your body. Best of luck to you!
  • Palmeralex
    Palmeralex Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hello, I wondered what your height is? I am the same weight as your original and my ‘ideal’ bmi is 168lbs. It seems low to me but I’d like to have a go.
  • isay808
    Options
    Palmeralex wrote: »
    Hello, I wondered what your height is? I am the same weight as your original and my ‘ideal’ bmi is 168lbs. It seems low to me but I’d like to have a go.

My original weight was at 182 lbs, I weighed in this a.m at 166.4 lbs. I am 5 ft, 8 inches, not sure what my body fat percentage is to be honest.
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Options
    Great work! This is something that I really need to experiment with...have done some reading on it. Glad to see/hear when someone has proven success with something. Keep it pushin!!!!
  • isay808
    Options
    Great work! This is something that I really need to experiment with...have done some reading on it. Glad to see/hear when someone has proven success with something. Keep it pushin!!!!

Yes, I love it! It was an adjustment since I love my early morning breakfast, but I feel a lot better a month into it. You can do anything you set your mind to
  • tuddy315
    tuddy315 Posts: 11,349 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    How do you determine how many days on and off ratio? I have lost 80 lbs just by cutting out fast food and eating right but since July I have been stuck here. I would like to get another 20 lbs off.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    tuddy315 wrote: »
    How do you determine how many days on and off ratio? I have lost 80 lbs just by cutting out fast food and eating right but since July I have been stuck her. I would like to get another 20 lbs off.

If you have not lost weight since July, you are eating at maintenance calories and either need to tighten up your logging or reduce your calorie intake to get you into a calorie deficit.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

[/quote]

The only thing I'm upset at is that your aren't publicising how to lose 14lbs a month without being in a calorie deficit. This is something the world needs to know - share it, and you'd make squillions of dollars. [/quote]

How manyy 0's in a squilloin? It sonds like a pretty large number -
    1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.000,000? - Eastcoast Jim

• isay808
    Options
    How do you determine how many days on and off ratio? I have lost 80 lbs just by cutting out fast food and eating right but since July I have been stuck here. I would like to get another 20 lbs off.

I do it daily, for my personal schedule I eat from 11-7 pm with about 1900 cals, sometimes more/less depending if I worked out or I'm working.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    IF is really flexible. The MD who taught me about it said you can do however many days you want at fasting - he suggested I start with 2 days a week fasting. When I got to goal weight I moved down to 1 day a week fasting. When I gained a few pounds I moved up to 3 days a week fasting. I found that I had to assure I got in adequate calories on non fast days or I would really struggle on fasting days. in other words, on non fast days eat. Eat healthy but eat! Don't go nuts, but I made sure I always ate 1600-2000 calories on non fast days.
  • tuddy315
    tuddy315 Posts: 11,349 Member
    Options
    kgb6days wrote: »
    IF is really flexible. The MD who taught me about it said you can do however many days you want at fasting - he suggested I start with 2 days a week fasting. When I got to goal weight I moved down to 1 day a week fasting. When I gained a few pounds I moved up to 3 days a week fasting. I found that I had to assure I got in adequate calories on non fast days or I would really struggle on fasting days. in other words, on non fast days eat. Eat healthy but eat! Don't go nuts, but I made sure I always ate 1600-2000 calories on non fast days.

Thank you! That is what I was wondering.
  • keezo1
    keezo1 Posts: 204 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    isay808 wrote: »
    I've been tracking my macros, I eat high protein, low carb unless it's a day I am lifting. Some days I'll be in a deficit because of work getting in the way of my eating schedule. I do my cardio in a fasted state, anything from hiking, hiit, and cycling.

Your macro breakdown is irrelevant for fat loss (although going lower carb would result in initial fluid loss, and lighter weight), just as whether you train fasted or not is irrelevant.

The number of days youve been in a deficit, and the size of the deficit, has clearly been significant enough for you to drop 14lbs in a month. If you're disputing this, perhaps present yourself to the closest university for studying.

I'm just sharing my results my friend, I'm a simple person. Their is no reason for me to lie in regards to what I'm doing. You have a nice night.

You are a simple person, who is claiming to function completely differently to the rest of the population - if people could lose weight without being in a deficit, how did we end up with so many over-fat people?

You sound like you're very upset my body building friend. I eat healthy, exercise regularly, and I'm very young. I think some of those factors can be incorporated.

The only thing I'm upset at is that your aren't publicising how to lose 14lbs a month without being in a calorie deficit. This is something the world needs to know - share it, and you'd make squillions of dollars.

I am doing intermittent fasting ... I said it at the begging of my post. No need for the unwanted sarcasm. If you don't like what I wrote, then simply go elsewhere to share your words of wisdom.

I also do IF. It's not magical. If you do IF but eat too many calories, you'll still maintain or gain depending on how much you're eating. You don't lose weight unless you're in a deficit - something you seem to be disputing.

Have a nice night my body building friend... I'm going to go starve myself, then eat, and then throw up...

Again, please share how you don't eat in a deficit and manage to lose weight. The world needs to be enlightened, seriously. (you don't want to be a squillionaire as well as helping millions of people?)

I would seriously love to eat more food without consequence!

Some things just cannot be explained,i have a 22yr old brother that i live with who eats the same meals as me plus tonnes of other crap,i have seen him eat 2 breakfasts then chips,candy,lunch,more chips and candy,dinner then half a large pizza and he drives everywhere and does not workout and he weighs 148 lbs and most of it is muscle.
  • littlebuffbiddy
    littlebuffbiddy Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Im an IFer too! I love it! Congrats on the progress! I have been slipping up the last two weeks and need to get back on it. I love working out fasted. I didn't lose weight because I was already at my goal, but I noticed with IF my body fat percentage went down.
  • isay808
    Options
    Im an IFer too! I love it! Congrats on the progress! I have been slipping up the last two weeks and need to get back on it. I love working out fasted. I didn't lose weight because I was already at my goal, but I noticed with IF my body fat percentage went down.
    That's so awesome! I am almost at my goal weight but I hope I can drop more fat percentage as well. I feel like this is a lifestyle change for me :) great job! Jump back in!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    blambo61 wrote: »
    I've been tracking my macros, I eat high protein, low carb unless it's a day I am lifting. Some days I'll be in a deficit because of work getting in the way of my eating schedule. I do my cardio in a fasted state, anything from hiking, hiit, and cycling.

Your macro breakdown is irrelevant for fat loss (although going lower carb would result in initial fluid loss, and lighter weight), just as whether you train fasted or not is irrelevant.

The number of days youve been in a deficit, and the size of the deficit, has clearly been significant enough for you to drop 14lbs in a month. If you're disputing this, perhaps present yourself to the closest university for studying.

Working out fasted is relevant. You have to use fat to produce glucose and keytones while fasted and expending energy which is far more inefficient that producing glucose say from eating glucose or carbs. That makes no sense at all.

No it's not relevant. Someone like the OP will have c. 2000 cals of glycogen stored in his liver and muscles. No gluconeogenesis or ketosis required.

All the daily time restriction IF is doing is moving the periods of eating / losing around the day - it's not changing the total energy balance.
    Fasted exercise is an irrelevance for weight loss apart from adherence and performance (which is very personal).

Well done OP, remarkable change in a short time.

It is relevant see:
    https://melanieavalon.com/science-intermittent-fasting

glycogen in the muscles isn't shared with the rest of the body. The liver will perform gluconeogensis to keep up with glucose demands.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Working out fasted is relevant. You have to use fat to produce glucose and keytones while fasted and expending energy which is far more inefficient that producing glucose say from eating glucose or carbs. That makes no sense at all.

No it's not relevant. Someone like the OP will have c. 2000 cals of glycogen stored in his liver and muscles. No gluconeogenesis or ketosis required.

All the daily time restriction IF is doing is moving the periods of eating / losing around the day - it's not changing the total energy balance.
    Fasted exercise is an irrelevance for weight loss apart from adherence and performance (which is very personal).

It is relevant see:

glycogen in the muscles isn't shared with the rest of the body. The liver will perform gluconeogensis to keep up with glucose demands.
    Why do you think the liver would be depleted of its glycogen stores on a 16:8 schedule?
    There is a huge difference in GNG in prolonged fasting and short term fasting.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

It is relevant see:

Why do you think the liver would be depleted of its glycogen stores on a 16:8 schedule?
    There is a huge difference in GNG in prolonged fasting and short term fasting.

I guess I should have been more clear. I do a 20:4 IF schedule and the liver does has some depletion on that schedule, especially if you are eating at a deficit and are carrying over some deficit from the day before. The liver is going to start doing gluconeogensis with any deficit, the more the deficit, the more it is going to do.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!