Have never made stove top oatmeal before..help?

Options
So my microwave recently broke and im a bit frustrated because i always make my staple breakfast eggwhite oatmeal in it first thing every morning. It's the only way I've ever made oatmeal before (normally use instant oats) and so I was wondering how I would go about making it on the stove? I love the volume and fluffiness the microwave gave me when I would make it in there usually due to the whipped eggwhites I added in it but now I'm lost. how can I make it on the stove where it would give me A LOT of volume like it did in the microwave? When I made it in the microwave it was only the instant oatmeal packet, whipped eggwhites and water and I always added A LOT of water and just microwaved it for longer. So if anyone knows how to make it on the stovetop to where it would be thick and voluminous please let me know how! Thanks!

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    So my microwave recently broke and im a bit frustrated because i always make my staple breakfast eggwhite oatmeal in it first thing every morning. It's the only way I've ever made oatmeal before (normally use instant oats) and so I was wondering how I would go about making it on the stove? I love the volume and fluffiness the microwave gave me when I would make it in there usually due to the whipped eggwhites I added in it but now I'm lost. how can I make it on the stove where it would give me A LOT of volume like it did in the microwave? When I made it in the microwave it was only the instant oatmeal packet, whipped eggwhites and water and I always added A LOT of water and just microwaved it for longer. So if anyone knows how to make it on the stovetop to where it would be thick and voluminous please let me know how! Thanks!

When you started making this oatmeal concoctions in the microwave you probably experimented to find the right amount of water, etc. Do the same experimentation with the stove.
    Probably bring water to a boil first and then add your egg whites and oatmeal. Maybe mix the egg whites with the oatmeal before adding to the boiling water?
    I've only added eggs to oatmeal I baked in the oven. You might look at baked oatmeal recipes for an alternative to stove or microwave.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This is what I would do. I'd boil water in the kettle. Add to the instant oatmeal to the desired consistency. Whip the egg whites in another bowl with my mixer until thick, then fold in to the cooked oatmeal.

You don't need stovetop for instant oatmeal and if you tried cooking for longer than five minutes, you'll get glue.

I'm a connoisseur of my stovetop oatmeal and I use minute oatmeal with about a tablespoon of large flake oats added for extra tooth. I add two tablespoons or more of powdered milk, and raisins too. If I'm not sharing with my hubby I put in dried currants instead. I don't quite put the heat to "high" because I want to avoid a scorched bottom. I stir with a wooden spoon until it gets thick and creamy. One cup oats to 2 1/2 cups water.
  • alexastoutxo
    alexastoutxo Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    thecharon wrote: »
    How about a new habit?
    Just make yourself some scrambled eggs for now. And please use the egg yolk. It has a lot of nutrition. Plus, some of those instant oatmeal packets are loaded with sugar.

Ehh I really like my oatmeal in the morning though and I know there's nothing with the yolk eggwhites just give me alot more volume without giving it an "eggy" sort of taste
  • alexastoutxo
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    This is what I would do. I'd boil water in the kettle. Add to the instant oatmeal to the desired consistency. Whip the egg whites in another bowl with my mixer until thick, then fold in to the cooked oatmeal.

You don't need stovetop for instant oatmeal and if you tried cooking for longer than five minutes, you'll get glue.

I'm a connoisseur of my stovetop oatmeal and I use minute oatmeal with about a tablespoon of large flake oats added for extra tooth. I add two tablespoons or more of powdered milk, and raisins too. If I'm not sharing with my hubby I put in dried currants instead. I don't quite put the heat to "high" because I want to avoid a scorched bottom. I stir with a wooden spoon until it gets thick and creamy. One cup oats to 2 1/2 cups water.

Well I was going to be using quick cooking oats for the stovetop, not the instant packets I normally use which is why I ask about how to make it on the stovetop.
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Can I please bring you into the fold, to the dark side, to infinity and beyond... OVERNIGHT OATS.

You just mix your oats, liquid(s) of choice, flavors, together real nice, cover it, and put it in the fridge. Warm it up in the morning and it's done. You can add liquid as needed to correct any issues in consistency. Easiest, healthiest, most delicious breakfast.
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options

yhr4bfd61cmb.png
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    why is no one using a spurtle to make their oats? You're doing it wrong.....
  • jgnatca
    Options
    If you want thick and creamy oatmeal, use the stovetop method I described.

If you want to use minute oats on the stovetop to get a fluffy product, make the minute oats on the stovetop without the powdered milk (1 part oatmeal to 2 parts water).

Whip up the egg whites separately and fold in to your finished oatmeal. I'm anticipating that the warm oatmeal will finish cooking your fluffed up egg whites.

I don't think egg whites will automatically fluff up if you try and cook them with your oatmeal as you do in the microwave. I might be wrong. Experiment and report back to us.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Instructions on package?

Oatmeal
    Water

Heat it up stove until it thickens.

That's all.

It's not quite as simple as that.

The ratio of rolled oats to water is usually 1:2 (1:3 for steel cut) but you still need to taste the oats and add water if the oats remain uncooked after most of the water has been absorbed or evaporated.

You also need to keep heat at low to med and to stir constantly as well. Otherwise, it could boil over and/or burn and/or turn the oats into a congealed mass instead.

This is particularly important if you want thicker oats which need to be cooked longer so that very little water is left b4 it's considered "done."

These are things that a microwave cook would need to learn.
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Instructions on package?

Oatmeal
    Water

That's all.

The ratio of rolled oats to water is usually 1:2 (1:3 for steel cut) but you still need to taste the oats and add water if the oats remain uncooked after most of the water has been absorbed or evaporated.

You also need to keep heat at low to med and to stir constantly as well. Otherwise, it could boil over and/or burn and/or turn the oats into a congealed mass instead.

This is particularly important if you want thicker oats which need to be cooked longer so that very little water is left b4 it's considered "done."

Or......for stovetop method, bring water to boil, add rolled oats/oatmeal, cover and remove from heat. Let sit for 10ish minutes. No need to watch and means that I can go do something else while the oatmeal is 'finishing'.
  • alexastoutxo
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Instructions on package?

Oatmeal
    Water

That's all.

Is there a step by step process you could describe for me? I don't want to mess up my oats so it would be helpful comong from someone whos acrually done IT before
  • pennygm72
    pennygm72 Posts: 179 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    My son and I make our oats on a Sunday night, we use a mix of rolled oats and oat bran, mainly water and some whole milk, cook for 20 mins, lower heat and cook for another 5, stirring throughout, add frozen fruit, this week it was cherries, allow to cool and then put on the fridge. We have porridge every morning, I reheat three bowls worth with a little more milk on the stove top. Healthy breakfast for three for 4 days all prepared in half an hour on a Sunday evening :) PS it is lovely and thick
  • alexastoutxo
    Options
    pennygm72 wrote: »
    My son and I make our oats on a Sunday night, we use a mix of rolled oats and oat bran, mainly water and some whole milk, cook for 20 mins, lower heat and cook for another 5, stirring throughout, add frozen fruit, this week it was cherries, allow to cool and then put on the fridge. We have porridge every morning, I reheat three bowls worth with a little more milk on the stove top. Healthy breakfast for three for 4 days all prepared in half an hour on a Sunday evening :) PS it is lovely and thick

Do you bring it to a boil first? Can you tell me step by step please? It's my first time trying these out so i don't want to mess up
  • micheledelliott
    micheledelliott Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    pennygm72 wrote: »

I, too, would love to see the step-by-step instructions for this. Sounds very easy and delicious!
  • callmecarina
    callmecarina Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    For the love of all that is great, please add a tiny dash of salt to your oats! It does something during the cooking process and affects the way your oatmeal turns out. Oatmeal just isn't the same if you don't add the salt.

To OP: it's hard to give you a hard and fast method for cooking stovetop. I know you said "fluffy," but does that mean creamy, or thick? Your preference on the creaminess will determine your correct method.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I like extra creamy so I add oatmeal to the water cold then bring to a boil. I then reduce to a simmer until it thickens. This is not long.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Making oatmeal is kind of like making tea. Everyone has their favourite method and whether you want to follow one person's advice or another you are still going to get tea.