Have never made stove top oatmeal before..help?

Options
2»

Replies

• pennygm72
    pennygm72 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    For those that wanted my recipe/technique the amounts below are for one portion so simply multiply as required.
    40g rolled oats
    10g oat bran
    250ml water
    50ml whole milk
    Generous pinch of salt

Put oats and oat bran in a saucepan with the milk and water and bring slowly to the boil, stirring.
    Turn down the heat and simmer for about 10 mins stirring frequently. Add the salt.
    Cover and allow to sit after adding fruit of your choice, can be frozen or dried fruit ( my son and I plan to try stewed fruit too shortly.)
    Once cool put in the fridge. It should keep without problem for around 4-5 days.
    In the morning take a portion/portions out of the pan, reheat in another pan or in a bowl in the microwave with a little more milk or water.
    You could add fresh fruit, nuts or yogurt at this point, my children like syrup!

I chose rolled oats and oat bran as the oat bran is higher in fibre and protein but is expensive compared to rolled oats, am tempted to try and source some steel cut oats to compare flavour and cost.
    Hope that helps those who asked @alexastoutxo and @micheledelliott
    As has already been said preferred recipes/methods will be different for all of us, all I can suggest is trial and error (oh and Google!)
  • alexastoutxo
    alexastoutxo Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    For the love of all that is great, please add a tiny dash of salt to your oats! It does something during the cooking process and affects the way your oatmeal turns out. Oatmeal just isn't the same if you don't add the salt.

To OP: it's hard to give you a hard and fast method for cooking stovetop. I know you said "fluffy," but does that mean creamy, or thick? Your preference on the creaminess will determine your correct method.

I want it sorta thick and voluminous If you know what I mean?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    OP: It's really not that hard but you do have to pay attn while you cook oats. You can't just push a button and walk away like you do w/the microwave.

However, oats are cheap. Take a risk and experiment. Toss out the failures and eat the rest. It's a learning process that you have to go thru to learn how to cook anything.

As for the steps:.

1) Measure the water you need and add it to the pot.

2) Turn the burner on and bring the water to a boil.

3) Measure out the oats you need and, after the water comes to a boil, lower the heat to low or med first and then add the oats.

If you add the oats to rapidly boiling water, (or allow water w/oats already in it to boil), it can rise and spill over.

4) Bring the water & oats to a simmer and adjust the heat to keep it there.

5) Stir the oats as they cook. Do not walk away and leave the pot unattended on the stove. It's like cooking risotto.

6) After 2 mins for instant, 5 mins for rolled and 10 mins for steel cut, taste some to see if they have cooked enough yet or not. If not and if there's not enough water remaining in the pot, add some more water to continue cooking.

Can't give you an exact amount of water to add but it should be enough to keep the oats from "plopping" in the pot like mud in a volcanic mud hole.

7) When the oats are cooked to your liking, they are ready to eat but, if they are too "loose" (fluid) for your taste, you will need to continue cooking until the oats thicken further.

The risk doing this is that you will overcook the oats. It's easier to overcook instant and rolled oats than steel cut oats. The oats are over cooked when they are mushy.

When you know exactly how much water and oats to use and how long to cook them, you could remove them from the stove at a certain time and allow them to finish cooking off heat, but I have NEVER had success using this method.

You can add or leave out salt as you prefer. It doesn't matter IMO when you add it. I don't usually add any until I've tasted the oats during cooking.

Happy eating! :)
  • alexastoutxo
    alexastoutxo Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    OP: It's really not that hard but you do have to pay attn while you cook oats. You can't just push a button and walk away like you do w/the microwave.

However, oats are cheap. Take a risk and experiment. Toss out the failures and eat the rest. It's a learning process that you have to go thru to learn how to cook anything.

3) Measure out the oats you need and, after the water comes to a boil, lower the heat to low or med first and then add the oats.

If you add the oats to rapidly boiling water, (or allow water w/oats already in it to boil), it can rise and spill over.

5) Stir the oats as they cook. Do not walk away and leave the pot unattended on the stove. It's like cooking risotto.

6) After 2 mins for instant, 5 mins for rolled and 10 mins for steel cut, taste some to see if they have cooked enough yet or not. If not and if there's not enough water remaining in the pot, add some more water to continue cooking.

Can't give you an exact amount of water to add but it should be enough to keep the oats from "plopping" in the pot like mud in a volcanic mud hole.

7) When the oats are cooked to your liking, they are ready to eat but, if they are too "loose" (fluid) for your taste, you will need to continue cooking until the oats thicken further.

The risk doing this is that you will overcook the oats. It's easier to overcook instant and rolled oats than steel cut oats. The oats are over cooked when they are mushy.

When you know exactly how much water and oats to use and how long to cook them, you could remove them from the stove at a certain time and allow them to finish cooking off heat, but I have NEVER had success using this method.

You can add or leave out salt as you prefer. It doesn't matter IMO when you add it. I don't usually add any until I've tasted the oats during cooking.

Thanks :) this was helpful but since I like adding eggwhites, when would I add them? While the oats are still cooking or close to when the oats are done and to my liking?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) this was helpful but since I like adding eggwhites, when would I add them? While the oats are still cooking or close to when the oats are done and to my liking?

I have no idea but my guess is NOT during or at then end of cooking because the heat will just congeal them.

Frankly, I don't think egg whites will work at all on the stove top.

In the microwave its kinda like you're making a souffle and everything "bakes" together from cold to start.

Can't do that on the stove top.

The only way it might work is if you cook the oats and whip the egg whites separately.

Then after the oats have cooled a bit, slowly fold and blend the whipped egg whites into the oats until you get the texture you like.

Let trial and error be your guide. Good luck!
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

Here's all the tips you will ever need, right from one link. Enjoy!

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+cook+oats+on+stovetop+with+eggwhites
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I dont even cook my oats,

I mix oats, Greek yog, honey and frozen cherries. (or other frozen berries)
    put in the fridge over night (I make 3 days worth at a time)

Then when I have a serving I add a chopped up granny smiths apple

YUM!