Options
2»

Replies

• BishopWankapin
    BishopWankapin Posts: 276 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    150to123 wrote: »
    I would consider doing 3 days a week, heavy, medium, and light.

EXAMPLE:
    Monday heavy: 3x5 and 1xAMRAP* (starting at 65% of your 1 rep max and increasing the weight by 2.5% each week if you get more than 8 and down 2.5% the next week if you get less than 5, between 5-8 you keep the weight the same). Until you work up to 85%, then you could deload for a week (volume, not intensity, do heavy sets of doubles or triples), then test the following week and start over after that.

Wednesday - light 3x10 (could be a different type of squat, front, box, or Zercher for example).

Friday - medium 5x5

For soreness, I find the best thing is to just keep moving and stretching.

*AMRAP = As Many Reps As Possible

FWF, thank you for replying & for your help. I'm going to repeat this back, as I'm a newbie to weights, so want to ensure I understand. As a note, I have 2 10-lb, 2 5-lb & 4 2-lb hand weights.

Mon, 10-lb weights. 3 sets of 5 reps & then work to failure.
    Wed, 2-lb weights. 3 sets of 10 reps.
    Fri, 5-lb weights. 5 sets of 5 reps.

As to the calculations (& to make corrections to the above routine), beginning with 65% of 1 rep max (which is my 10-lb weight, cuz that's the max I can lift, right?) = 6.5-lbs. So, for the heavy day, I should begin with 6.5-lbs for 1-wk, rather than 10, then increase to approx 6.66-lbs (2.5%). Now I'm lost... with the <5 or 5-8... what is that referring to?

My additional q's would be:
    * Isn't working to failure not good? I've heard that it can result in injury.
    * Why am I doing the 2.5 increase with the heavy day only? Or, am I increasing all weight by 2.5%/wk?

Thank you again for your time!

I'm confused, are you including the weight of the bar? It's pretty straight forward, if your one rep max(the max you can lift once) is 100lbs then you're going to do 3 sets of 5 at 65lbs and then a set of as many reps as possible, not to failure, I usually leave 1 in the tank.

As far as the 3x15 and 5x5 it's just whatever you can do for 3 sets of 10 or 5 sets of 5, so you're really pushing to get that last rep in.

Edit: spelling

What's confusing about 10 lb dumbells?

Because 10lbs isn't a 1RM.

IF you say so.

2x 10lb dumbells. it's her 1RM. Mostly because that's all the weights she owns.

Are you *kitten* me? Do you really not know what a 1rm is or are you pulling this semantic *kitten* because you just don't like FWF?

Let me make this easy for you. Read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-repetition_maximum

It both defines 1RM and tells you different methods of calculating it. At no point does it say, "Or like you know....whatever weights you own."

ETA: If you've got legit beef with FWF, that's cool. But at least have the balls to admit it man.
  • FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I would consider doing 3 days a week, heavy, medium, and light.

EXAMPLE:
    Monday heavy: 3x5 and 1xAMRAP* (starting at 65% of your 1 rep max and increasing the weight by 2.5% each week if you get more than 8 and down 2.5% the next week if you get less than 5, between 5-8 you keep the weight the same). Until you work up to 85%, then you could deload for a week (volume, not intensity, do heavy sets of doubles or triples), then test the following week and start over after that.

Wednesday - light 3x10 (could be a different type of squat, front, box, or Zercher for example).

Friday - medium 5x5

For soreness, I find the best thing is to just keep moving and stretching.

*AMRAP = As Many Reps As Possible

FWF, thank you for replying & for your help. I'm going to repeat this back, as I'm a newbie to weights, so want to ensure I understand. As a note, I have 2 10-lb, 2 5-lb & 4 2-lb hand weights.

Mon, 10-lb weights. 3 sets of 5 reps & then work to failure.
    Wed, 2-lb weights. 3 sets of 10 reps.
    Fri, 5-lb weights. 5 sets of 5 reps.

As to the calculations (& to make corrections to the above routine), beginning with 65% of 1 rep max (which is my 10-lb weight, cuz that's the max I can lift, right?) = 6.5-lbs. So, for the heavy day, I should begin with 6.5-lbs for 1-wk, rather than 10, then increase to approx 6.66-lbs (2.5%). Now I'm lost... with the <5 or 5-8... what is that referring to?

My additional q's would be:
    * Isn't working to failure not good? I've heard that it can result in injury.
    * Why am I doing the 2.5 increase with the heavy day only? Or, am I increasing all weight by 2.5%/wk?

Thank you again for your time!

I'm confused, are you including the weight of the bar? It's pretty straight forward, if your one rep max(the max you can lift once) is 100lbs then you're going to do 3 sets of 5 at 65lbs and then a set of as many reps as possible, not to failure, I usually leave 1 in the tank.

As far as the 3x15 and 5x5 it's just whatever you can do for 3 sets of 10 or 5 sets of 5, so you're really pushing to get that last rep in.

Edit: spelling

What's confusing about 10 lb dumbells?

Because 10lbs isn't a 1RM.

IF you say so.

2x 10lb dumbells. it's her 1RM. Mostly because that's all the weights she owns.

Not to mention she's doing > 250 reps a week, that's a lot of volume, she would yield better results if she lowered the volume and increased the intensity.
  • FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    OP, before this turns into a dumpster fire, there are a lot of different ways to skin this cat, mine may not be the best option for you, I prefer undulating periodization and sub maximal training to increase strength because that's what fits my goals, one of which is to be as efficient as possible with my time in the gym, because I have a life outside of the gym.

Which is why I stated "I would consider doing 3 days a week, heavy, medium, and light."
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I think everything is getting way too complex here.

@150to123 you have a set of Dumbbells that consist of 2 x 2lbs, 2 x 5lbs, and 2 x 10lbs. You are getting DOMS and maybe other pain consistently doing the exercise routine that you have been doing- especially doing high rep squat sets throughout the day.
    I think that sums it up.

Take a step back and find a routine you can follow every other day. You can have a good fast walk ( or a swim etc) on the off days.

If you have to spend time getting form correct, and basically strengthening using just your body weight, do that.

I liked using the HasFit beginners dumbbell routine on YouTube, and Nerdfitness bodyweight routine, but there are plenty other programmes available.

Both are simple and will help you build the strength to transfer to a lifting routine. I followed with the AllPro barbell programme.

Cheees, h.

Sorry if I have miss read and you are looking for something more complicated.
  • TaffyBranwyn
    TaffyBranwyn Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think everything is getting way too complex here.

I liked using the HasFit beginners dumbbell routine on YouTube, and Nerdfitness bodyweight routine, but there are plenty other programmes available.

Very helpful, Middle, cheers. I'll leave the weights & squats alone for now.

Those programs look great... I'll sift through & find some of the beginner routines.

This is great info, thank you again!
  • TaffyBranwyn
    TaffyBranwyn Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Update... I'm doing fine having built up to 30 air squats/day, no weights. No pain, no stiffness. I had to wait 1-1/2 wks for all the pain to leave, before I began more slowly. I've also begun walking on the treadmill, 2-mi/day, 30-min, 10-30% incline. I feel fine, but the treadmill beeped furiously that my heart rate was 208. Upon searching, it looks like I should be 160-180. Still, no stiffness, soreness or any negative side effects afterwards & I do change the incline & speed throughout the walk. I'll tone it down a bit.

So, I'll continue with air squats, no weight... working up to 50 before I add a couple of pounds of weight. With treadmill, I'll just walk at 0% incline, until I'm used to it. I don't live in a safe 'hood, so cannot walk the property... it's treadmill or jumping about like Iggy Pop at home in the living room.

Seems to be working, I feel great, have no stiffness or soreness (in fact, 1 treadmill "session" eliminated ALL my low back pain) & am also glad I'm moving out of state in 99 days.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Squat every other day, decrease the reps and increase the weights.

Sorry, I didn't see your post earlier. Increase weights? If I'm sore all the time now from 5 & 10-lb weights, why would I want to increase? Isn't that looking for an injury?

Sorry, I haven't checked this thread for awhile and my response to you follow up question might be unneeded, but here is the reason:
    1. Squat every other day instead of every day to give your muscles time to recover.
    2. You're doing a lot of squats right now. Volume and weight are inversely related. The more you do, the less weight you can use. By decreasing volume you can increase weight.
    3. Choose a weight you can do 8-10 reps in 3 separate set with rest in between. This gives you 30x3=90 reps per week, instead of 50x7=350 reps per week. That should make you less sore.
    4. Increasing weight from 10 to 12 or 15 lbs while decreasing volume should not result in injury if you use proper form. Stop before you hurt yourself.
    5. Generally speaking, slightly heavier weights will help you progress faster.
    Hope that helps. Good for you for getting started.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Why are you squatting with holding the dumb bells on your thighs?