Figuring out protien

Options
Hi-

I finally put together a little spreadsheet to get a good fix on how much rice you would need to eat to complete the protein in beans- in this case black beans, to get the advertised protein, which is 15.2 grams per cup. But according to the nutrition data I found, it's already complete. I added the Methionine and Cystine, and Phenylalanine andTyrosine together to get the amount in the black bean column- was I supposed to do that? What am I missing?:

b65e4fa9y898.png

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    You do realize that this is way more detailed than 99.9999% of people want to deal with, don't you?

Also, you misspelled Tryptophan.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    You do realize that this is way more detailed than 99.9999% of people want to deal with, don't you?

Also, you misspelled Tryptophan.

And not to be picky, but protein is spelled wrong several times in the chart. There is one where it is correct though.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Aw, honey. I’m going to rain on your parade too. The idea that protein combining is necessary has been debunked for some time now. It turns out our bodies are more versatile than once believed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_combining

Just eat a variety of foods.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    the what now?!
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    It may be my ignorance, but I'm not convinced this is a necessary effort. There is such a thing as making things too complicated, and I believe this is one of those things.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    So how many black beans need you eat?
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Any chance of some background for us simpletons?

You want to know how much rice to eat alongside 1 cup of black beans to hit a really specific amino acid split?
    Out of interest, why? I've literally never heard of this before, and I suspect I'm not the only one!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    cs2thecox wrote: »

You want to know how much rice to eat alongside 1 cup of black beans to hit a really specific amino acid split?
    Out of interest, why? I've literally never heard of this before, and I suspect I'm not the only one!

plus why would rice and beans be the only protein sources in a whole day... sounds pretty unlikely to me.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    cs2thecox wrote: »

It's to make it a complete protein. IE where you get all the essential amino acids.

I'm guessing the OP is vegan. Soy would be my choice to save all this micro management in the extreme.
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Jesus, and I thought I was anal when it came to creating my pre/post work out shakes with amino acids etc. I just drink Huel if I want a balanced complete meal.
  • JustJeff1977
    JustJeff1977 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The amino acid profile of the rice is a little less clear. While the advertised protein is 4.4 grams per cup, the limiting amino acid- lysine will only make 3.1 grams. While I'm fairly certain I'm in the wrong crowd to be asking this, I will anyway- does anybody know how they come up with the 4.4 grams?

9e3blya5uyfs.png

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    This might be helpful: http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/protein

If you are vegan, I think the main thing is eat a variety of sources of protein, err a bit on the higher side (Norris covers this, as I recall), and include some beans or legumes in your daily diet more often than not, and you are probably good. Worrying about complete proteins at a meal vs. over the course of a day is no longer considered necessary.

I don't know the answer to your question (I don't really understand the question, how do they determine it has 4.4 g of protein?), but maybe the link (to Jack Norris, a respected source) would be helpful?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    JeffHaber wrote: »
    The amino acid profile of the rice is a little less clear. While the advertised protein is 4.4 grams per cup, the limiting amino acid- lysine will only make 3.1 grams. While I'm fairly certain I'm in the wrong crowd to be asking this, I will anyway- does anybody know how they come up with the 4.4 grams?

9e3blya5uyfs.png

You've got 4.4 grams total in the cup, that's distributed among all the different amino acids. That lysine is only 3.1 grams is (for the purposes of this conversation) irrelevant.

You know this level of attention to detail isn't necessary for vegan nutrition (I'm assuming that's your goal here), right?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    What am I missing?

Telling people what the context, purpose and target audience is perhaps?
  • JustJeff1977
    JustJeff1977 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    This might be helpful: http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/protein

If you are vegan, I think the main thing is eat a variety of sources of protein, err a bit on the higher side (Norris covers this, as I recall), and include some beans or legumes in your daily diet more often than not, and you are probably good. Worrying about complete proteins at a meal vs. over the course of a day is no longer considered necessary.

I don't know the answer to your question (I don't really understand the question, how do they determine it has 4.4 g of protein?), but maybe the link (to Jack Norris, a respected source) would be helpful?

Thanks..
    Re-reading some of this, and your article, and other things, I think people are thinking I'm trying to literally mix the beans and rice together at each meal. I'm just trying to see, over the course of a day or so what a good ratio would be and why. I thought just using black beans and rice would help keep it simple, and I have a lot of black beans and rice in the pantry. As far as not understanding my question, your not alone, a lot of people don't. If you look at what's considered a complete gram of protein, 51 mg of the amino acid Lysine are required. The cup of rice only contains 160, which is enough for only 3.1 grams. So, it seems they are assuming you will pick up the rest of the Lysine elsewhere. But now I'm curious, why didn't they just say the black beans contain like 17 grams of protein, even though there is not enough Methionine for that, and you'll pick that up elsewhere.

I'm not a vegan, I've spent several months losing weight and clearing out my pantry and freezer at the same time, not spending money on groceries. (I find it more fulfilling to combine goals instead of just looking at the scale.)But I'll run out of meat this week and I'm contemplating getting most of my protein from beans basically, but according to myfitnesspal, I'd have to eat the black beans for breakfast, lunch and dinner and I'd still come up short on protein. So I was looking for a theoretical ratio if it exists. If I can't find it, I'm going to pick up some boneless skinless chicken breast probably and then continue on with the rest of the pantry.

I did a third chart that shows a 50/50 mix of rice and beans, though it does show an increase in protein for those ingredients if accounted for separately, its lower protein than just the beans- since one of these ingredients is low protein rice.