Can someone please help me figure out this food label?

dmzue6w9ad1l.jpg

Hello.
This is a label for frozen chicken breast.
I see some percentages instead of grams.
How many grams of protein are there if it's 11% ? How do i calculate it?

Replies

• svetskisampion
    svetskisampion Posts: 148 Member
    edited November 2017
    Would it not just be 11% of per 100gm? So, 11g? That's my initial thought, yet am slightly confused by this myself. Or perhaps it provides 11% of your GDA?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,954 Member
    11% of 100g is 11g
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    It's 11g per every 100 grams... If the total weight is 200g, the protein content would be 22g.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    thecharon wrote: »
    @myych could you name the country you are in? I have never seen a food label without TOTAL CALORIES. And, what is the product anyway? Why didn't you mention it? Is this something off the internet? Out of china?

He did mention it, frozen chicken breast.

The protein amount is lower than I'd expect for chicken breast so I expect there's a large water content!
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    @myych could you name the country you are in? I have never seen a food label without TOTAL CALORIES. And, what is the product anyway? Why didn't you mention it? Is this something off the internet? Out of china?

He did mention it, frozen chicken breast.

The protein amount is lower than I'd expect for chicken breast so I expect there's a large water content!

That, and given the sodium, fat, and trans fat content, I'm guessing this is something beyond a simple chicken breast.
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    Or perhaps it provides 11% of your GDA?

Unlikely,
    unless there are different packages for male, female and children ...

Your first thought (percent of 100 grams) is correct
  • svetskisampion
    Or perhaps it provides 11% of your GDA?

Unlikely,
    unless there are different packages for male, female and children ...

Your first thought (percent of 100 grams) is correct

Yeah makes sense given that it would vary for the respective groups as you mentioned. 11g per 100g of chicken seems most logical.
  • svetskisampion
    crazyravr wrote: »
    myych wrote: »
    dmzue6w9ad1l.jpg

Hello.
    This is a label for frozen chicken breast.
    I see some percentages instead of grams.
    How many grams of protein are there if it's 11% ? How do i calculate it?

Simple.
    All the percentage values are based on what they, the manufacturer, assume as a typical calorie intake for men and women. Based on the label they assume 2000cal for women.

Per 100g of the chicken breast, based on a 2000cal diet, a women will get 11% of their protein for the day which will be 11g.

Now, if you post the other side of the label, where it lists the ingredients in this frozen breast, and I bet it is not just chicken breast meat, it will explain all the other weird values.

Wouldn't it be, if basing on a womans 2000cal diet and using that equation, their GDA would be 45g of protein, of which 11% would be a little under 5g?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Per 100g of the chicken breast, based on a 2000cal diet, a women will get 11% of their protein for the day which will be 11g.

i don't think this is right because based on the second label they are using 45g protein as the recommended protein intake for women on a 2000cal diet - (45g = 180cal) - so 11% of 45g would only be 1.2g which makes no sense...
  • myych
    myych Posts: 5 Member
    Its a ready to cook frozen chicken breast that is seasoned with lemon and pepper and salt.
  • myych
    myych Posts: 5 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    myych wrote: »
    Its a ready to cook frozen chicken breast that is seasoned with lemon and pepper and salt.

So the ingredients are chicken breast meat, lemon, salt and pepper? No way. Post it.

Ok i will when i get home
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member

The calories are there - 127 per 100g.
    And we know it’s chicken breast.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    The calories add up:
    11g protein
    5g carbs
    7g fat
    = 127 calories total.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    We need to ignore the GDA/RDA side of the package. It has nothing to do with the nutrition information on the left.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    What kind of chicken breast is that if it has carbs and only 11g of protein per 100g? That's extremely fishy.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    The calories add up:
    11g protein
    5g carbs
    7g fat
    = 127 calories total.

Those are the numbers per 100 grams, but the chicken breast probably weighs more than 100 grams. The package doesn't list how many servings of 100 grams there are.

Are the amount of servings or total weight listed somewhere else on the package? Otherwise you may have to weigh it.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    It's a requirement in the UK that calories/nutrition information is listed in terms of per 100g. Having the calories total per product is nice, but doesn't always happen. You just have to do some maths and weigh it. The weight SHOULD be on the product, but only total weight of product, so if this is a pack of two you'd need to weigh each individually

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    What kind of chicken breast is that if it has carbs and only 11g of protein per 100g? That's extremely fishy.

Maybe breaded chicken tenders?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    The calories add up:
    11g protein
    5g carbs
    7g fat
    = 127 calories total.

Those are the numbers per 100 grams, but the chicken breast probably weighs more than 100 grams. The package doesn't list how many servings of 100 grams there are.

Are the amount of servings or total weight listed somewhere else on the package? Otherwise you may have to weigh it.

doing per 100g makes so much more sense than a serving of 45g or 58g - 100 is easily divisible into small servings/easier to figure out fractions etc

i.e. you pick up a food item and 1 serving (per old style) is 45g and your item weights 67g - 67/45 = 1.48

compared to serving size being marked in 100g - then your 67g serving is .67 - significantly easier to figure out