How do you stay focused during the holidays?

Options
Gained 80 with first pregnancy- lost the weight. Just had my second baby and I have 50 more to lose to get me to my goal! My husbands sister... so yes!l she’s my sister in law! is coming to the states for the first time and will be spending a month at our house. I want to make a ton of awesome dishes but I know I am setting myself up for failure. She will be here through the holiday’s... any suggestions? For my childs birthday I consumed almost double my calories for the day- and yes I put thought into it! When I’m at my ideal weight I don’t eat or have a problem with consuming too many calories but being overweight I do. I really lack self control with hormones involved and I know this could potentially be a stumbling block for me that I very badly want to avoid. Thanks for any helpful suggestions!

Replies

• HotMama115
    HotMama115 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the ideas! I love what you said about what you all say at WW- maybe I just need to plan for 1 holi day out of the month to look forward to (not count my calories) and I have enough time to find some good MFP recipes!!
  • HotMama115
    Options
    @duckforceone that is a great idea!!
  • xkitxkatxkaix
    xkitxkatxkaix Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    The one thing I try (although admittedly sometimes fail at lol) is that during the holidays its important to remember that when there are many dishes available to you, (ie. Thanksgiving with sometimes 5+ yummy dishes to eat), is that you do not have to completely fill your plate towering with each one. Just take a slice and one or two spoonfuls (depending on the spoon) of each dish and you'll find yourself nice and content by the time you clear your plate.
    Now I don't know about you, but I'm a very fast eater and that can really make or break you on during the Holidays. Especially if you're not paying attention. Lately I've been trying my best to wait at least 10 or 15mins after finishing my plate before I think about seconds. It takes a minute for your brain and stomach to sync up appropriately.
    As for holiday dishes, I've been finding loads of healthier recipes to bring in, thankfully they're not that hard to find these days, whether they're in a magazine or quick google search they are indeed everywhere.
    Hope this helps a little, and good luck!!!
  • HotMama115
    Options
    @xkitxkatxkaix I like the idea about waiting for seconds. I did that tonight and it worked.. I am also a fast eater. I have to be with two babies lol!!!
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    When I was really good around the holidays, I would treat the holidays as one day, not days of leftover yummy foods. I made rules for myself, like if anyone offers me food, I would always say no. It would have to be my decision whether I wanted to eat the food myself, not someone elses suggestion.
  • my3boys424
    my3boys424 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am sitting here depressed because I’ve gained about 10 pounds in the last year after hitting goal. So now I’m +10 and about to enter the holiday season when I generally gain 7-10 pounds. I can deal with having to lose 10, but more than that is overwhelming. My total weight loss was 50 lbs. I need a plan!!
  • my3boys424
    my3boys424 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    llbrixon wrote: »
    When I was really good around the holidays, I would treat the holidays as one day, not days of leftover yummy foods. I made rules for myself, like if anyone offers me food, I would always say no. It would have to be my decision whether I wanted to eat the food myself, not someone elses suggestion.

That’s a good idea. I really wanted to make a turkey and stuffing to have for left overs (I am not hosting this year). Maybe I will just do the turkey for sandwiches and skip the super caloric stuffing :neutral:
  • HotMama115
    Options
    llbrixon wrote: »

I love this!!!! On the days my husband is off work I stumble. Every. Single. Time! He knows it too and feels bad. Saying it’s my decision - I don’t have to take him up on everything he suggests will really help my train of thought on the days he’s home. Thank you so much for this!
  • sabal20
    sabal20 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    my3boys424 wrote: »
    I am sitting here depressed because I’ve gained about 10 pounds in the last year after hitting goal. So now I’m +10 and about to enter the holiday season when I generally gain 7-10 pounds. I can deal with having to lose 10, but more than that is overwhelming. My total weight loss was 50 lbs. I need a plan!!

I totally know how you feel. This time last year I was 5kg lighter and only 5kg away from my goal too. Now it's a total of 10kg and double the weight seems like a massive task!

I've set myself an interim goal of getting back to where I was. Rather than pressurising myself to get to my "ideal" weight.

I'm also trialing the 5:2 eating approach and yesterday was the first time I really felt I'd achieved my fast day (4th or 5th fasting session).

What it does mean is I can have a fast day just before and eat as normal (but not to excess) for a couple days before fasting again. I'm not sure if this will work because ideally I would fast on 23rd December but it's my partner's birthday.

My partner and I have already decided we'll go walking for a minimum 5-6 miles a day over the Christmas period just to give us a bit of a buffer.

I'm also trying to drink less alcohol and only eat when I'm hungry.

I'm losing but it's early days so there's water weight to consider.

We shall see.

Best of luck to everyone over the holidays.

• yogsvr4
    yogsvr4 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm obstinate by nature and never fold to peer pressure - In fact, its usually the opposite. I do better at saying 'no thank-you' to all the food offerings the harder people push. Holidays are the easiest days to stay focused (for me).
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    HotMama115 wrote: »
    Gained 80 with first pregnancy- lost the weight. Just had my second baby and I have 50 more to lose to get me to my goal! My husbands sister... so yes!l she’s my sister in law! is coming to the states for the first time and will be spending a month at our house. I want to make a ton of awesome dishes but I know I am setting myself up for failure. She will be here through the holiday’s... any suggestions? For my childs birthday I consumed almost double my calories for the day- and yes I put thought into it! When I’m at my ideal weight I don’t eat or have a problem with consuming too many calories but being overweight I do. I really lack self control with hormones involved and I know this could potentially be a stumbling block for me that I very badly want to avoid. Thanks for any helpful suggestions!

I wonder if your calories are set too low. Are you home with these kids? Are you breast feeding?
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Last year I was still in the losing weight process and OMAD helped me stay within my calorie limit. I would choose the proteins and veggies at meals and allow one dessert per meal.
  • HotMama115
    Options
    @MsHarryWinston your post is extremely helpful! Thank you so much for sharing!!!
  • HotMama115
    Options
    @Athena98501 yes my calories are set low- but if I’m hungry I just eat more. Yes I breastfeed a toddler and newborn and I’m home with them.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Hi. I hope its ok to jump on your thread with my concern.

I am just nicely getting used to going to the gym and prefer attending classes. Dec has me scared. I have to be out of town for 6 days at the start of the month (I have a new baby nephew to meet!!!!!) and then at Christmas I will be gone again abut 5 days.

Neither of these trips will be very active for me if I do what I norally do when I go there. Other than going for walks what can I do so I don't fall off my fitness wagon?

Trip 1 I think I can perhaps go to the gym there and pay day fees. But trip 2 is sounding challenging. The gyms are all 24 hour card access that I do not have.
  • HotMama115
    Options
    I’m not sure what kind of cardio you do but what about bringing a jump rope? Sit ups, planks, push-ups you can do without a gym membership. Also there might be some fun cardio exercises off YouTube that you could maybe access over the tv or computer. Maybe ask the people you are visiting to help you stay fit and have them join in the fun?