Cardio.....which machine?!?!?!?

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Frankly metabolism changes from changes in muscle mass from lifting - 50 maybe up to 100 calories a day difference after many months if not years of lifting.

Calorie differences a day from overeating which can be done even thoughtlessly - easily blow that away plus whatever the workout actually burned.

Best way to lose weight - eat less than you burn by reasonable amount, to maintain - eat what you burn.
    tlpina82 wrote: »
    But if your goal is to lose weight... Lift... Best way to lose and maintain a healthy weight is to increase your metabolism.

OP - if you enjoy doing several of them, do them all. Rowing good for upper body, elliptical good for joint relief and upper, stairs good for glutes/quads of done certain way, running for hamstrings/glutes.
    And of course if you look closely, I'll bet there are more than cardio machines there.
    Resistance training will transform the body more combined with a diet to lose fat if that is purpose.
    Not much on the cardiovascular improvements of course if that is purpose.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I prefer running on the road. Even walking outside is preferred. I have an elliptical and treadmill at home. Elliptical I use for run cross training. I will use my treadmill when weather conditions are too bad to be outside.

Seriously OP, try something out. Don't go all out, no need injuring yourself right off the bat. And find something you are going to find a little fun factor in it, exercise should be enjoyed to an extent that you will keep doing it, keep challenging your self and get stronger while doing it! Good for the heart.

Losing fat is going to come down to calorie deficit, use your exercise to enhance weight loss and weight management, but moreover for health.
  • justlog
    justlog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Try them all out over time. Also, what you prefer today may change in several weeks or months. Sometimes one thing leads to another. Just try what seems of interest and don't feel bad about not liking any of them and wanting to take things outside.
  • TheChaoticBuffalo
    TheChaoticBuffalo Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Definitely the rowing machine, and if you can only do ten to twenty minutes, that's a good start.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Whatever you can tolerate. I'm not a machine person. I do bodyweight intervals (at home).

I would just try a few, maybe one or two each time you go to find out what you like. It's going to vary person to person. I agree above, rowing would likely be my go to but lots of people on the forum like the elliptical.

This^

Figure out which machine you like the best, that's the one you will be more likely to continue even after you are done losing weight.

Exercise for health & fitness. Control your calorie intake for weight loss.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    tlpina82 wrote: »
    A workout is not supposed to be pleasurable. if it is, you're not doing it right.

Bike, treadmill, elliptical whatever you like most, do it... Go as hard as you can for 30 to 45 minutes.
    But if your goal is to lose weight... Lift... Best way to lose and maintain a healthy weight is to increase your metabolism.

That sounds absolutely dreadful, unnecessary and more like punishment than anything else.
  • DivineLotus
    DivineLotus Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My favorite machine is the elliptical machine. I also like the rower machine. It is all personal preference. I dislike the bikes and I get bored on the treadmill. Try them out and find one or two that works for you :)
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    morganbone wrote: »
    tmoneyag99 wrote: »
    Life is about making choices within your own circumstances. Some people have joint issues so can't hit the road. Some people don't have the option of machines. Some people can't stand the monotony of running. So completely in my opinion my ranking of cardio options with the "Why" behind my ranking.

1) Running/walking Outside – If not over done can actually be great for bones and muscles. The variation in wind resistance, inclines, and terrain puts just enough stress on the body to help it get stronger.

2a) Cardio Class – Many of the same benefits as above but you don’t have the benefit of the variation portion as much.

2b) Cycling – Easier on your joints but still get the variation that helps strengthen your body.

3) Tread mill – You lose the wind resistance and terrain variation but you can create some incline variation

4) Stair Climber – These are great but be careful if you don’t go down the same amount that you go up, you can actually injure yourself. (Source: Personal Experience) The muscles used to go down are different than what is used to go up but to keep your body in balance you need to make sure both sets of muscles are equally worked. You don’t do this with a stair climber. You DO, do this with actual stairs though.

5) Row Machine. Great way to get in a good workout.

6) Elliptical – 100% for people with joint problems or just getting started. Not the best but it is 200x better than sitting on the couch eating potato chips and watching re-runs of The Office.

I'll have to try them all out i guess and see what i like, i wana be sure im feeling it in my abdomen area lol and i love the office !!!!!!!

Why the abdomen area? You know you can't spot reduce right?

She's right.

To answer your question, I prefer the rowing machine. But pick one that you enjoy. More sustainable.
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    If you are just starting out, the exercise bike or treadmill will be a good start.

Walking on the treadmill can be made challenging and difficult at any level of physical fitness. You can speed up, use incline, or just expand your stride and take fewer steps.

Exercise bikes for the truly sedentary can get your body used to repeat movement, just pay attention to your body posture and manipulate the resistance until you can do this comfortably for an extended period of time.

Ellipticals are pretty good, but they make all kinds, so you'll have to differentiate which ones are comfortable for you and which ones are uncomfortable (and whether or not that is a good thing, depending on what aspect of your stride you are working on).

Once you feel like you've mastered these, there are all sorts of machines you can move on to, such as the stair climbers, rowing machines, rope pulling machines, etc.
  • Forever_mhm
    Forever_mhm Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Whatever you can tolerate. I'm not a machine person. I do bodyweight intervals (at home).

I would just try a few, maybe one or two each time you go to find out what you like. It's going to vary person to person. I agree above, rowing would likely be my go to but lots of people on the forum like the elliptical.

This^

Figure out which machine you like the best, that's the one you will be more likely to continue even after you are done losing weight.

Thanks! So it's definitely more about calories compared to carbs to lose? Sorry im new to this healthy stuff...lol
  • Forever_mhm
    Options
    My favorite machine is the elliptical machine. I also like the rower machine. It is all personal preference. I dislike the bikes and I get bored on the treadmill. Try them out and find one or two that works for you :)

Thank you! i feel the same towards bikes and treadmill in the past when i would try to be motivated. i hated it ugh.
  • Forever_mhm
    Options
    tmoneyag99 wrote: »
    Life is about making choices within your own circumstances. Some people have joint issues so can't hit the road. Some people don't have the option of machines. Some people can't stand the monotony of running. So completely in my opinion my ranking of cardio options with the "Why" behind my ranking.

1) Running/walking Outside – If not over done can actually be great for bones and muscles. The variation in wind resistance, inclines, and terrain puts just enough stress on the body to help it get stronger.

2a) Cardio Class – Many of the same benefits as above but you don’t have the benefit of the variation portion as much.

2b) Cycling – Easier on your joints but still get the variation that helps strengthen your body.

3) Tread mill – You lose the wind resistance and terrain variation but you can create some incline variation

4) Stair Climber – These are great but be careful if you don’t go down the same amount that you go up, you can actually injure yourself. (Source: Personal Experience) The muscles used to go down are different than what is used to go up but to keep your body in balance you need to make sure both sets of muscles are equally worked. You don’t do this with a stair climber. You DO, do this with actual stairs though.

5) Row Machine. Great way to get in a good workout.

6) Elliptical – 100% for people with joint problems or just getting started. Not the best but it is 200x better than sitting on the couch eating potato chips and watching re-runs of The Office.

I'll have to try them all out i guess and see what i like, i wana be sure im feeling it in my abdomen area lol and i love the office !!!!!!!

Why the abdomen area? You know you can't spot reduce right?

I understand you cant just pick which spot on your body to lose weight...but im hoping that where most of my weight is that will help there....
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

This^

Thanks! So it's definitely more about calories compared to carbs to lose? Sorry im new to this healthy stuff...lol

If you're new, read this post:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Also recommend reading the "most helpful threads" on the getting started page. (This is one of them)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    So tonight i plan on going to the gym for the first time in idk how long....which machine is best for cardio??? OR what are some of your favorite machines???

There is no "best"...there is only personal preference. The quality of your workout is determined by your effort, not the machine.

Personally I hate them all and never use them. I like riding my bike. I use the gym for weights only...I don't need to spend my $$$ to go be a hamster.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I used to do the bike but I found that it burns nothing compared to even walking on the treadmill... unless my HRM is completely off... the best workout is probably the rowing machine but I get so bored on it... I typically stick to the treadmill and watch Netflix (I can't run because of food issues so I walk at an incline).

The elliptical is great too though, but I could never last too long on it, lol.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    i prefer lifting but rowing is a killer workout
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I just use whatever the skinny girls are using lol
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I use the Elliptical mostly, set to intervals so that I have to work pretty hard. It is not for everyone but it gets me a very good burn for the hour I do it due to the differences in resistance. I am almost always dripping sweat by 11 minutes in. That said, it can get boring and in the past, I preferred boxing classes and circuits mixed in. I also do strength training, but since you asked about cardio, that is mine, along with a reasonable amount of walking.