Creating a meal plan for a hectic schedule

Options
I currently have a hectic, wacky schedule and not planning my meals is setting me up for disaster. Due to the nature of my work as a mental health clinican, I can only eat during random breaks between clients. I'm constantly driving to clients homes or meetings so I'm often eating in my car.

I'm hoping to find suggestions for quick, easy to eat on the go, low inflammatory food ideas. Right now I try to do things like a handful of nuts or a kind bar but I'm often still starving.

Replies

• nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs would be easy to eat while you're driving, as well as veggie sticks. If you pack a cooler, you might be able to stop at a gas station for a few minutes and eat something.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Can you bring a cooler with you? Maybe pre-make salads with a lean protein? If you do this try salsa as a salad dressing! Also I promote Bolthouse Farms Yogurt dressings because they are yummy, you get plenty with a "serving" and they are very low in calorie. Stock the cooler with string cheese, pickles, berries, greek yogurt, single serving cottage cheese (you may want to invest in some plastic silverware!) etc. Find low cal, tasty foods you like and portion them up, so you don't have to think on the road. It's also good to "pre-log" them so you don't have to think of what you ate that day.

I work a 7-4 shift at a desk job. I pre-make all my breakfasts for the week and most of my lunches on Saturday/Sunday. Also, my snacks for morning. Usually berries, pre-portioned in little glass 1 cup bowls. I have a rule that I eat only what I bring, so if I don't bring food, I don't eat. And no one wants that...LOL

Protein bars are good but also tend to leave me hungry too - I'm pretty sure it's the sugar content. Nuts are great, but I can't just eat a handful, I want the whole container. I've found sunflower seeds are great if you pre-portion them in little plastic sandwich baggies. I feel you get plenty for 28g and it's a salty treat.

I'm a huge fan of "pre-portioning" food. Our fridge looks like a 7-11 with all the ready to go food containers. My boyfriend never really knows what he can eat and what he can't...LOL
  • rcervetto
    rcervetto Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Agreed with above, small, pre-portioned snacks are great. You can also make little wrap roll-ups, deli meat and cheese wrapped with a tortilla or lettuce (low cal and low carb!), can cut into pinwheels or just eat as a wrap. Easy to eat on the go. Pinterest is a good place for inspiration.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    prep small baggies of food to snack on - chicken is easily grilled, a baked potato can be eaten warm or cold; greek yogurt etc
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    How about wraps? Those are nice portable car-friendly options. You could make enough for a couple days in advance and grab them out of the fridge as you run out the door.

Breakfast wraps, caesar chicken wraps, tuna wraps, etc.

Protein shakes would also be nice and portable.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Lots of foods can be eaten on the go - fruit, nuts, can of tuna, sandwich, carrot sticks, boiled eggs. What is low inflammatory food? If that's food that's by its nature difficult to pack and eat on the go, you could instead eat two meals per day, before and after work. Anyway, don't eat while you're driving.
  • KaciWood19
    KaciWood19 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!!