Body dysmorphia

Options
80210 Posts: 3 Member
edited November 2017 in Motivation and Support
5’2 ... not sure how much I weigh as the scale triggers me. Working on going on how I feel mentally/energetically but not sure how much weight I need to lose
aliqau5o2mb3.jpeg
lrtavenzby2m.jpeg
3nzvfh8dkz3g.jpeg

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Only you can answer that. Is there a specific look you are going for? Are you healthy overall? Are you happy with what you see in the mirror and how you feel?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    well that depends on how you feel about your body at the moment?
  • FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Agreed this is a very internally personal question.
    How do you feel?
    What do you want to change on your body?
    What do you like to do for exercise?

We can't tell you how much to lose and I too am all about beating our "triggers" but what does it trigger for you? Maybe instead of weight do measurements? or find something that would make a good non scale victory.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    If the scale/weight is a trigger, you might try measuring (I personally measure waist, hips, thighs, neck, arms) and monitoring your progress by inches rather than pounds. To set a correct calorie goal, step on the scales with your eyes closed and have a friend record your weight...then have that friend set your calorie goal up in MFP. You'll have your daily calorie goal without having to see your weight.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. And keep taking pictures. Keep the ones you posted above and then in a couple months (or whatever time period you prefer) take new ones in the same poses and similar clothing and compare.
  • Nikitazilla
    Nikitazilla Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    If you cannot weigh yourself due to not being able to handle looking at the number, having a certain number of pounds to lose as a goal isn't going to do anything to help. You won't be able to gauge how much you've lost.

The usual advice to focus on what you see in the mirror rather than the scale doesn't work well for many of us who have body dysmorphia. What I have found helps me is focusing on performance rather than what I see in the mirror. Do you have any performance goals--running X miles, lifting Y pounds, being able to do Z yoga pose, etc?

^^^This is exactly what I meant in my head, but you said it so much better!
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    You look good now.

It all depends on how lean you want to get.

I wouldn't lose too much more, maybe 5-10 lbs tops.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    You look healthy. It really all depends on what you want. And if you have body dysmorphia, you may not be able to trust what you think you want.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    You consider lifting?
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I would enter your stats in MFP with wanting to lose 0.5lb/wk and eat within those calories. Start walking/exercising for your mental as well as physical health. Go by how your clothes feel and how you feel mentally as you stated. There is no reason to have a set weight you want to be, or a set measurement. Be patient with the process.
  • LauraS92mfp
    LauraS92mfp Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hey going to message you personally xx
    80210 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You look healthy. It really all depends on what you want. And if you have body dysmorphia, you may not be able to trust what you think you want.

EXACTLY! In my head I feel I could lose about 30-50lbs...... BUT I also know that I’ve struggled with body dysmorohia so I’m just at a loss ... am I Normal? Am I heathy? Or am I really letting myself go and need to lose weight? .... I know I sound crazy ! But I wanted to try opening up about it and see what kind of responses I got ... I’m trying to have an honest view of my body and it’s difficult ! Thank you for your response !!!
  • DivineLotus
    DivineLotus Posts: 93 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Body dysmorphia is a psychological condition. Consider treading very carefully when attempting to lose weight and do it under the supervision of a nutritionist and therapist who specializes in eating disorders.