Hunger Suppression

Options
2»

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »
    Get an interest in teas... there are so many amazing varieties out there that are caffeine free, you can even get a tea that is chocolate flavoured.

Is there one that tastes like coffee? :D I will check out teas. We have a nice tea thingy with a basket strainer for the leaves I think. Somewhere...

I switched from coffee to tea to lower, but not eliminate, caffeine. In the morning, I drink English Breakfast Tea. It is about as coffee like as any tea I have tried. But it still contains caffeine - about 40% of what coffee has. So no headache from dropping caffeine because I didn't. Then I switch over to green tea, which has less caffeine, or herbals. I do not like decaffeinated black/green tea mostly because I like less processing.

As far as hunger goes, I am a believer in getting used to not eating much. The first couple of weeks can be rough, but you get used to it, or at least I do. I eat Greek yogurt made from whole milk for breakfast and I use 2 tbs of pumpkin butter or apricot preserves to flavor a cup of it. That's 300 calories of deliciousness. Sure, I could eat twice as much fat free artificially flavored/sweetened yogurt and still have less calories. No thank you. I don't eat mammal meat, so I eat a lot of poultry and seafood which are low calorie, so I don't eat only small amounts of high calorie foods. i also eat a lot of vegetables, but I don't stuff myself with anything.
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    There is a tea that tastes like coffee! Look up teachinno. Not super cheap but they are pretty good. I drink coffee right until I go to bed lots of nights and I am not looking forward to the inevitable day when they starts jacking with my sleep :/
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I dunno, the other day I was ravenous til I had coffee. Decaf did nothing. I recommend staying hydrated, eating plenty of fiber and protein, and having healthy snacks around in the evening.

It also might just be a side effect of transition, and that eventually your body will adjust. Go slowly and see how you feel.

I don't like green tea personally, but I find that spice-y/cinnamon-y teas help my coffee cravings, so play around with what feels right for you.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,910 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @Machka9 if you are getting the light headed feeling you might be hypoglycemic. If so, you might need to eat like a diabetic to have continued, sustained energy. I find any food that has all the macros is the best and preventing this. This includes nuts, hiker's mix, Edamame, cheese and crackers, or half an energy bar. In desperation I've bought Muscle Milk from a convenience store and that worked, too.

If you want to know if you are hypoglycemic, test your blood two hours after eating. Maybe a friendly diabetic will lend you her meter.

Yes, I am hypoglycemic ... I've been hypoglycemic since I was 17 and they ran me through a glucose tolerance test.

That's why I eat about once an hour, and also steer clear of certain foods which seem to make matters worse.

I also have to watch my coffee intake. I drink only black coffee (fairly strong), but after about the third cup, I start feeling light headed and shaky too. So I try to keep it down to 1-3 cups a day.
  • Caprilli
    Caprilli Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can get caffeine free green tea. I use a lot of different type of Tea's from Organic India - Tulsi Tea's. Like you I used to drink huge amounts of coffee but I have been weaning myself off over the last few years and I am not totally satisfied with 2 cups a day.

During Summer (I am in California) I am happy to drink Lemon Water or similar during the day but during the colder times of the day or months, I need something warm and something with a bit of taste. They have two versions of the Tulsi holy Basil tea, one with and one without caffeine. It is the first green tea, that I actually like the taste off. Other versions that I like are Lemon-Ginger, Licorice, Raspberry-Peach and Sleep, which really does help me to chill out at night and get a good night sleep.

It took me years to find replacements that work for me. These do.
  • barbp7
    barbp7 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Get an interest in teas... there are so many amazing varieties out there that are caffeine free, you can even get a tea that is chocolate flavoured.

Is there one that tastes like coffee? :D I will check out teas. We have a nice tea thingy with a basket strainer for the leaves I think. Somewhere...

• barbp7
    barbp7 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    There is a caffeine-free drink that has a pleasant coffee-like taste. It's made from chicory root. I had it in the Czech Republic and have been meaning to look for it in US. I've only found it online mixed with coffee.
    If anyone else has had this and knows a brand name or where to get it, please advise.
  • Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I'm another who has weened myself off a heavy caffeine addiction using tea, better hydration in general and the occasional coke zero treat. Yes tea has caffeine in it, but on average it can be as low as half. {comparing instant coffee to instant tea}.
    I now start the day with a nice strong esspresso, and I may enjoy the occasional cola as a treat with a meal. But the 20 instant coffee's a day are long gone. Along the way I decided that much of my habit was the ritual of making and drinking a hot beverage. While I don't hate tea, I don't like it as much as coffee. But I decided to drink only tea after a certain time of day, and over time as my daily caffeine levels dropped, my urge to have one subsided with it.

Good luck with your goal. And good idea not just quitting.. The headaches are phenomenal.