Getting Back into Running again .....

Options
beachsun36
beachsun36 Posts: 24 Member
edited November 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
My goal is to run 30 miles by the end of November. I am 2 miles down and 28 to GO!

Replies

• dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Awesome start, do you run 1 mile a day?
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    You're getting back? How long were you off? Why so aggressive?
  • cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    You can do it!
  • beachsun36
    Options
    Thankyou, yes I ran one mile today.
  • beachsun36
    Options
    I stopped for a couple months due to a hurt knee.
  • dinadyna21
    Options
    Good on you for getting back into it, I just started C25k and finished my first workout last night but I've given up before so I'm trying to stay motivated this time.
  • beachsun36
    Options
    Thankyou, it's tough to make it a routine. Good for you starting C25k! How do you like that?
  • beachsun36
    Options
    Ran 1 mile today with my dog. I will have to look into C25k.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I am going to have to assume @ dewd2 thinks you are going to try to run 30 miles in one run by the end of Nov rather than a total of 30 miles. Which is an awesome goal. I to recently started back (after a summer bike accident and an awful bout of giardia after a hiking trip - oops!) with running and didnt really set up a mileage goal other than to just run on my non-gym days. I love the idea of a mileage goal too. I was surprised to find the first day back was as rough as it was, and now four days in, am surprised how quickly its come back. I bet you do too. I loved my c25k when I first began running. Zombies run was super fun and not glitchy at all.
  • beachsun36
    Options
    Oh maybe you are right about dewd2. I used to run more than 30 miles a month at one point a few years back but am not in that kind of shape anymore. Plus that's alot on your knees. Yes the first couple days are rough but it feels good to be back right? I am going to look into zombie run because I haven't tried that yet. I'm sorry to hear to u were in a bike accident and hope you are in tip top shape now! Setting a goal helps and 30 miles seamed reasonable.
  • dinadyna21
    Options
    beachsun36 wrote: »
    Thankyou, it's tough to make it a routine. Good for you starting C25k! How do you like that?

It was hard the first time I tried doing it but I'm convinced now that was because I didn't have strength in my leg muscles. I've been progressively lifting for the past 2 months and when I went running last night there was a significant difference in my ability.
    What I like is that it lets you take baby steps to get to the end goal. I've never been the best runner but the program makes it feel easy to do.
    Once I complete the program my goal is to do at least 20 miles a month.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I stopped for a couple months due to a hurt knee.

did you get your knee fixed or just stop running?
  • beachsun36
    Options
    I stopped running due to my knee hurting all of a sudden. It seemed like a bad sprain. I was walking instead until it healed. It started feeling much better so I started running again but its hurting now
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I stopped running due to my knee hurting all of a sudden. It seemed like a bad sprain. I was walking instead until it healed. It started feeling much better so I started running again but its hurting now

Sounds like you need to see a physio to fix the actual problem.
  • Runner42151
    Runner42151 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am a runner at heart but have been side lined since March by a neuroma in my right foot. Was training for my first ultra and got 3 weeks away from it and literally could barely walk. Am trying to give it time to heal but whenever I think it is feeling good I try it and it flares up again. Take it easy, listen to your body and enjoy!
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Good luck! At first I thought you were trying to go from 0 to 30 miles in one ran in a month and was like WOW, that's aggressive but 30 miles total in one month seems like a great goal!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    besaro wrote: »
    I am going to have to assume @ dewd2 thinks you are going to try to run 30 miles in one run by the end of Nov rather than a total of 30 miles. Which is an awesome goal. I to recently started back (after a summer bike accident and an awful bout of giardia after a hiking trip - oops!) with running and didnt really set up a mileage goal other than to just run on my non-gym days. I love the idea of a mileage goal too. I was surprised to find the first day back was as rough as it was, and now four days in, am surprised how quickly its come back. I bet you do too. I loved my c25k when I first began running. Zombies run was super fun and not glitchy at all.

Nope. I understood which is why I asked the questions. As a beginner or someone starting over after a LONG layoff, running every day is tough on the body even if it is just a mile. I just advise caution (to avoid over use injuries).

Good luck.
  • beachsun36
    Options
    Gotcha dewd2! Yes, I will lay off the running if my knee continues to hurt.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Gotcha dewd2! Yes, I will lay off the running if my knee continues to hurt.

Don't you want to stop it hurting for good?
  • OregonRunner5
    OregonRunner5 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Good for you!