What food do you wish you could get in Canada....

Options

Replies

• kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I live in the US and have never had Halo Top. Sounds gross to me for some reason - but I've heard so many people rave about it. Not fond of artifical flavors or sweeteners. I did try a Kroger version one day (on sale for like $2) and it was AWFUL. I had one bite, then I had to throw it out.

I'd rather just do a small portion of Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip and call it good...
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    If you ever travel to Texas, get some Blue Bell. If you have a fondness for Halo Top, get some Blue Bell No Sugar Added. Your eyes shall be opened.

Blue Bell Vanilla no sugar ingredients:
    polydextrose, cream, sorbitol, maltodextrin, cellulose gel, cellulose gum, vegetable gums (guar, carrageenan, carob bean), natural and artificial flavor, soy mono and diglycerides, acesulfame potassium, sucralose (spenda brand), annatto color, vitamin A palmitate.

Chocolate Halo Top ingredients:
    Milk and cream, eggs, erythritol, prebiotic fiber, milk protein concentrate, organic cane sugar, high fat cocoa, vegetable glycerin, sea salt, organic carob gum, organic guar gum, organic stevia.

I'd rather have the Halo...sorbitol -maltodextrin make me bloated and I'd rather have stevia/erythritol as sweetner instead of sucralose too...
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I hear the US has more than one flavour for Oreos. And flavoured peanut butter. That sort of blows my mind.

I LOVE white and dark chocolate peanut butters.
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I hear the US has more than one flavour for Oreos. And flavoured peanut butter. That sort of blows my mind.

We have those things in Canada too, take a good poke around the grocery store next time you’re there! Right now our Superstore has, for Oreo flavours: apple pie, golden, cinnamon bun, and salted caramel.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Linzon wrote: »

We have those things in Canada too, take a good poke around the grocery store next time you’re there! Right now our Superstore has, for Oreo flavours: apple pie, golden, cinnamon bun, and salted caramel.

I think I also saw birthday cake ones there the other day but that might have been at Walmart.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options

Are you in Ontario? I haven't seen these in Edmonton, Alberta.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    P.S. Everyone knows Ontario is weird. Your milk comes in bags.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options

I’m in Calgary and we get all of those flavours at stores here. I’ve also seen them at the superstore in Nanaimo so I’m sure they are available in Edmonton.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Wow lots of votes for Halo Top. Is it really that good? Does it taste like regular ice cream?

What I like about it:
    - Lots of good flavours (my favourites are Salted Caramel, Mint Chip, Peanut Butter Cup, Candy Bar, Chocolate Banana)
    - Simple ingredients, mainly: Milk, cream, eggs, erythritol
    - Erythritol is my favourite non-sugar sweetener, very low GI

What I don't like about it:
    - Lots of not-so-yummy flavours
    - Expeeeensive!
    - Can leave your tongue feeling tingly and weird

That pretty much sums it up. Unfortunately the weird tingly tongue feeling is the reason I still have two pints in my freezer and no desire to eat them. Plus some pints just taste completely fake and artificial, and it seems to happen randomly for some flavors that tasted fine before too (that's been the case for salted caramel for me actually).

But here we can occasionally find them at $2.88 at least. Last time I spent more it was for the waffle one and it ended up in the trash, so yeah...

Honestly, I just have a serving of regular ice cream now and it's just much more satisfying.
  • Skipjack66
    Skipjack66 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    What I miss the most is the Gardein meatless products. For a lot of vegans and vegetarians (and people trying to reduce their meat consumption) this stuff was a cornerstone in the kitchen, because you could sub-out meat for “chickn” strips or “beefless tips” in your stews, stir fry and Fajitas. I have to say of all the meatless products out there, this company was the best at making plant based meat substitutes.

The company was originally Canadian (located in B.C.)and was highly successful and you could get their products just about anywhere. But then they sold to a USA company (Pinnacle foods- think Duncan Hines) in 2016 who relocated their factory to Maryland. Then they cranked up their prices by another 14% and reduced their product availability in Canada from 17 down to four. Basically, everything I used for cooking dishes where I needed some chunkier but meaty-like umph. They still have chikn tenders and meatless ground - but I don’t use those.

So I really, really miss the beefless tips! They were thick and juicy, a great texture, and they had a nice flavour to complement your recipe.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    P.S. Everyone knows Ontario is weird. Your milk comes in bags.
    Lol, I miss milk in bags... It doesn't have that awful wax taste of the milk in cartons.

I vote for "normal" Crystal Light flavors (Fruit Punch) and sugarless Five flavors lifesavers.

• zeldon919
    zeldon919 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's. So many great items.
  • tpcmv2003
    tpcmv2003 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Quorn
  • sarasmiles124
    sarasmiles124 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Grits.
  • jgnatca
    Options

I’m in Calgary and we get all of those flavours at stores here. I’ve also seen them at the superstore in Nanaimo so I’m sure they are available in Edmonton.

Then obviously I have not been spending enough time down the cookie aisle.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

Surely those things exist in Canada? Even in Australia we get strawberry, chocolate, and PB/choc Oreos as standard, and once we even had orange (flavoured, not just coloured filling)... Plus white choc and milk choc coated.
    (we get halo top too :D sorry!)
  • Sairzie
    Sairzie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Forget the food....I wish I could get myself to Canada!
  • jgnatca
    Options
    But I hear in Australia you don't have the wide variety of milk products we enjoy here, like half-and-half.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

I'm in Edmonton too and I have seen tons of those flavoured Oreos around. They're not my thing but sometimes I'm tempted anyway just because they're new. I notice them often at Shoppers actually, as well as the Stadium Save-On.

My vote is also for Halo Top. Sigh.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    But I hear in Australia you don't have the wide variety of milk products we enjoy here, like half-and-half.

No.... We just have skim (very low/no fat), hilo (low fat) and full cream milk.

Half-and-half is so good!