Need to stop eating so late!

Options
Hey everyone,
I wanted to say that I think I'm doing pretty well with my fitness journey so far. I've started going back to using the smaller plates I had in university, I've been drinking more water, and I exercise everyday! I do a lot of walking at work but I also like to do cardio, ab exercises, and lifting laundry detergent (lol I don't own any equipment or weights!! Hahahha got to improvise) in the morning. Now the problem I have to get rid of is eating late. Like sometimes I'll have a small meal or snack/smoothie. Starting tomorrow, I will stop eating after 7 pm!! No matter how tempted I am to fulfill l my hunger after a long day's work!

Replies

• alexrose4141
    alexrose4141 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have the same problem sometimes too. There is just something about night time that brings out the snacker in me. I find that by drinking lots of water helps me stay full or ill drink a little bit of vega protein powder at night as my "4th meal". (I am lactose intolerant so I use vegan protein with no whey). I find that distracting my mind by reading or social media or netflix helps by making me wait until breakfast for my next meal.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    if the issue is going over your calories (only reason this would be bad ) set a rule about only eating low cal veggies past a certain point. I eat dinner a small desert thn normally 2ish small 80-120 cal bowls of veggies. Helps a ton to keep me away from higher calories and iv noticed my appetite actually being beter all day and i crave my veggies vs the sweets i normally do
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I don't even get home from work until after 7. Meal timing has no affect on weight loss. Now if it keeps you awake at night or you've already consumed all your calories by 7 and eating later puts you in a surplus that's a different story. I don't like making rules just for the sake of making things difficult though.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I ate around 9:45pm tonight and I'm still awake three hours later. Going to bed now before I get hungry again.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    You can try it, OP. But if you find it causes more problems than it solves, be smart about it and dump it rather than trying to fix the "new" problem(s) with additional (usually more and more restrictive) rule(s). It is one slippery slope you want to pull your crampons/ice axe out and halt the slide via self-arrest vs. riding it to the bottom.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Eating late isn't a problem at all. You just need to create a calorie deficit by eating fewer calories than you burn. Please don't pointlessly deprive your body like that, it'll just make it way harder than necessary to actually stick to any sort of weight loss plan.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I eat before bed every night. Never harmed me in any way.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    To lose weight, you have to consistently eat less and move more. If smaller plates, drinking more water, exercise, stopping eating at 7pm, makes it easier for you to do that, great, you'll most likely lose weight. None of those actions can in themselves make you lose weight. You lose weight by consistently eating less/moving more. If those actions don't make you consistently eat less and move more, you won't lose weight.

On the contrary - if you try to undereat, you'll overeat later. If you're hungry, eat.

Losing weight and gaining health isn't a war. You get no medal for suffering.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Seems an odd strategy to cut calories from the time of day when you are at your hungriest.
    Why not cut the calories (assuming of course you need to...) from a part of the day when you aren't so hungry?

If you had a task to complete at work wouldn't you take the easy route to success rather than make it deliberately harder?

If you have the opportunity to make your calorie restriction over the course of a day (or even week) easier rather than harder then take it.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I am naturally hungriest at night so I save most of my calories for after 8pm. I eat 2000-2300ish around then. Been doing for 5 years (when I was losing was just eating less, I am at maintenance now) and have not had any issues losing or maintaining
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I usually eat something an hour or so before I actually go to bed, otherwise I will lie there feeling hungry and unable to sleep. If you have a heavy meal right before sleeping it can affect your sleep quality, which can in turn lead to overeating. Having something light shouldn't cause problems though :)
  • StatsGuy99
    StatsGuy99 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    As other posters have said, eating late by itself is not a problem. As long as you are staying within your daily caloric goals and are getting to sleep OK, there's no need to worry about it. I personally avoid eating within two hours of going to bed, as even light meals close to bedtime give me problems with sleeping.