Desperate and looking for support

Options
Hello all - I just signed up, and I'm having a very difficult time. I have been going through menopause, and I've gained 18 pounds in the last 2-1/2 years. I had lost almost 70 pounds about 5 years ago, and was maintaining, but now that my hormones are so out of whack, my body feels like a fat making machine, especially around my waist.

I'll admit, I've gotten off track. But the three times I tried to get back on track (more veggies, low carb, lots of water, eating smaller meals, walking an hour a day), I just seem to gain weight.

I'm frightened I will put all the weight back on. I do struggle with depression and anxiety, and I also have fibromyalgia. I try my best, but nothing is budging.

I feel like I have lost hope, so I am looking for support, cheerleading, whatever you can suggest.

With my thanks for allowing me to tell my story.

Replies

• ConnieAGinther
    ConnieAGinther Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me.
  • charglat
    charglat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I recently started reading The Ripple Effect by Greg Wells. I find a lot of what he's saying makes sense. It's all about the ripple effect of sleep on eating on exercise on our thoughts (and well-being).

There are several videos of his interviews and TED Talks on YouTube, if like me you benefit from videos.

Here's one interview where they specifically ask him about menopause:
    https://youtu.be/eXXZB7u-o6U

And here's one of his TED Talks, which is more comprehensive:
    https://youtu.be/0sxY-jS7v3U

Hope this helps you,
    Charlene
  • Mamana123
    Mamana123 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for these. It is absolutely true, sleep affects everything. I haven't slept well for 20 years, but it has been worse since Christmas, which is when I started putting more weight on. I am exhausted all the time, and feel like I am hungry all the time as well. With being so tired, and the pain of the fibro, the last thing I want to do is exercise. So, I am trying to focus on sleep schedule, eating smaller and more regular meals, and just moving my body more. But on a day like today, it all seems so impossible.
  • skinnycow1234567
    skinnycow1234567 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Please add gottabeeleighv
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain.

I have officially crossed over for a few years. What I have found is that you will lose weight, just not as fast as when you were younger. It takes patience that's for sure. And I have also found that it's best to eat all the calories allotted to you in the MFP plan. Eat more protein, and good fat.

It's good that you walk everyday. Maybe include some stairs if you are able. Depression will lessen as you keep walking and mild exercise.

And yes, sleep is challenging. What I have found is to make sure to have good sleep hygiene, and every once in awhile I take melatonin, a naturally occurring substance that you body produces. Lack of sleep and stress causes our bodies to hold fat around our waist area. So does drinking alcohol.

Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • Mamana123
    Options
    Thank you all for your kindness. As I sit here, I am crying. It's just all too much sometimes.
  • moniquewhitney
    moniquewhitney Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Thank you so much for sharing your story and thanks to everyone else who has posted so far because each of you has contributed to me too.

Don't give up hope. It's true at our age it becomes a frustratingly slow process (I'm feeling it too. I just turned 49 and am in the midst of premenopause and a thyroid that has all but stopped working).

Our health is complex with lots of contributing factors. The suggestions so far are spot-on, especially sleep. I also recommend you trust your body. Don't fall into the trap of blaming yourself. Our bodies are doing what bodies do as they age. Our job is to figure out how to work with what what we have NOW and let go of the notion that our bodies should do what they did 20 years ago. It's a step-by-step process but a rewarding one.

Most importantly, be kind to yourself. You are worthy of everything good in this life.

Cheering you on in Phoenix,

Monique

• Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Your in the right place! We all struggle in different areas. For me I have an addiction to refined sugar - yo yo dieter - late night snacker. Up and down with weight gain since highschool.
    I find the forums on here helpful as well as having MFP friends that have open diaries. Feel free to add me :)
  • carterbrent
    carterbrent Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    feel your pain. I too lost 25 pounds on weight watchers in 2015 but lost my job and got very depressed and had to go on 3 or 4 meds that cause weight gain. As much as I tried to watch my eating I gained it all back over the last 2 years. I walked 4 or 5 times a week, managed to gain on weight watchers new program. So hungry- couldn't stick to it.. Tried tops( take off pounds sensibly)all I did their was to maintain my weight of 220. I finally got my thyroid tested and I am on the low side of normal for T3 and T4 so my dr agreed to treat me for Hypothyroid and I am losing finally 1 to 2 pounds a week. And I haven't been exercizing. Just eating 1200 calories a day. Some medications can affect the thyroid. I am 55 and still in perimenopause and have a belly problem too. So frustrating getting clothes to fit.
    Janet
  • Mamana123
    Options
    Hello again - thank you all for your support and encouragement. But a question - a few people have mentioned to add them as a friend - how exactly do I do that?
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    Mamana123 wrote: »
    Hello again - thank you all for your support and encouragement. But a question - a few people have mentioned to add them as a friend - how exactly do I do that?

Click on the name in the left sidebar. Click on the name again when the profile opens. Then you will see a button to send a friend request. Click that button.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Mamana123 wrote: »
    the three times I tried to get back on track (more veggies, low carb, lots of water, eating smaller meals, walking an hour a day), I just seem to gain weight.
    You lose weight over time if you stick to a calorie deficit. It's really that simple, and it works for everybody, always. But it's not always easy to do. Your primary goal would therefore be to make it as easy as possible. So ask yourself these two questions - you can answer here, too, if you like: Is the regimen you have chosen, enough to provide you with a calorie deficit? Is the regimen you have chosen, hard to stick to?