Should I just "trust" what MFP says I should eat?

Options
Hi there,

I'm new to the site. I'm coming over from weight watchers so as far as how many of all the nutrients I should be eating? I am completely clueless.

Should I just follow what MFP assigned me (which I understand creates a 500 cal deficit for me to lose 1.5 pounds a week). Should I be adjusting? What about macros? Is 90g of sugar a good goal?

If anyone has any advice on how you should set things up and if there is a food list I should be working from? Sorry for all the questions, but ww does make it easy to pick foods that fall in your targets. I feel pretty vulnerable here.

Thanks

Tracey

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Yes. Just. Yes.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    ^ This. But just want to add that a 500 calorie deficit results in 1 lb/week loss- 1.5 would be 750. Accuracy in logging is the main thing.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    For now, yes. In 4 weeks or so, look at how much weight you've lost (500 Cal deficit is approximately 1 lb per week, not 1.5 lb, BTW). If you've lost ~4 lb, if you're actually at a 500 Cal/day deficit, then carry on. If not, adjust as needed.
  • vegasnine
    vegasnine Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sorry yes, I must be at a 750 cal deficit instead then as that's what I set my settings to. Not including the gym which I do go to 3 times a week. Thank you VERY Much for all your replies!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    depends on how much you have to lose, 1.5lbs a week may be too agressive; also remember that MFP guidelines don't count PURPOSEFUL EXERCISE in your calories - so you should eat back at least a portion of them
  • Jancandoit7
    Jancandoit7 Posts: 356 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I changed my micro settings as I wanted lower carbs, but that's a personal choice- I have mine set to 1300 cal (before exercise) 35% carbs, 35% protein, 30% fat- I set a loss to 1 pound a week which give or take a bit is basically what I'm losing. My goal is to lose about 40 pounds- down 15 so far in 12 weeks. I also eat maintenance calories one day a week to break things up.
  • vegasnine
    Options
    depends on how much you have to lose, 1.5lbs a week may be too agressive; also remember that MFP guidelines don't count PURPOSEFUL EXERCISE in your calories - so you should eat back at least a portion of them

I still have a lot to lose so I'd like to shoot for 1.5. It took me a year to lose 50 pounds so roughly 1 pound a week. Good to have stretch goals though.

Yes I know I need to log my exercise to get credit for it - is that what you mean?
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    If by "get credit for it" you mean eat additional calories when you exercise, then yes. MFP is set up based on your normal, day to day activity without exercise, so whenever you exercise you should log it and eat at least 50% of your exercise calories, on top of your normal allowance.
  • vegasnine
    Options
    I just mean that it tracks and adds calories. Not necessarily eat them. Good to know though.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    vegasnine wrote: »
    I just mean that it tracks and adds calories. Not necessarily eat them. Good to know though.

yes you should eat back at least a portion of those workout calories - you don't have to eat all of them - most of us recommend eating back 50%
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Sugar the way MFP figures it is simply the label information so it makes no difference whether it's the natural sugars in dairy, for example, or the added sugar of a twinkie. The "limit" MFP recommends is the one for added sugars. (There is no recommendation for natural sugars.) That means the total as calculated is a completely different number than what's recommended -- so ignore it. Most of us go over for the MFP calculation, even if we don't eat any added sugars and limit ourselves simply to the sugars in dairy and fruit -- so, to repeat, ignore it.