Do you know what it feels like to to lose 55lbs and then gain it all back in the span of 2 years?

Options
I used to feel like a winner. I felt beautiful, sexy, had gone down 6 sizes. Was being looked at more. I lost 55lbs and then little by little started going back to bad habits. Now I drink a bottle of wine a day, and eat whatever I want. Every single day I wake up and say to myself "okay, today is the day that I'm going to get my life together, I'm going to eat within my limit and I'm going to at least drink less." But then the day passes by and it doesn't happen. I make excuses for myself. I tell myself tomorrow I'll really start with the lifestyle change. But it never happens. I'm super sick of it!!!! I feel like I've tried everything. I've been feeling this way for 2 years and I just do not get how I got to this point.

Have you tried and given up ten thousand times only to finally beat the bad habits?

Does anybody who is gone through what I'm going through have a piece of advice for me? What has worked for you ? I'm at a loss and desperate!

Replies

• jodykirsten
    jodykirsten Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing. This morning I stepped on the scale and I have gained back 30lbs of my 50 lb weight loss. I am so disappointed in myself, which of course makes it worse. But, it is a new day and I find if I get back to weighing myself regularly then it will keep me accountable and I can’t be in as much denial. I knew I was gaining weight, but couldn’t seem to stop myself and would tell myself it wasn’t so bad. I don’t have any magic answer for you, just that I know how you feel and I am starting today to get healthy again and so should you. You can do it.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Yeah - the next time the mood hits to start again, start right then instead of waiting for the next day, next Monday, next 1st of the month, next whatever. Just START.

And when you do start again, start with just one itsy-bitsy thing to help you not gain more weight, and maybe even lose an ounce. Like, pass up on that next glass of wine, just for today. Or go for a 10 minute walk, or do 3 minutes of dancing to fast music around your living room ... or eat one healthy meal that day ... and then just keep building on these things slowly over time.

The way you start on any trail or journey, after all, it to put one foot in front of the other and then keep doing that over and over again.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Have a plan. Write down what you want to do, what you want your life to be like in 1 year and what goals you will have achieved. Keep those things in mind when struggling with whether to stick with the plan.

Also, it's often easier to focus on one thing at a time and then move on to something else. I'd have a plan for a week that was really achievable and then do that, something simple like logging every day, cooking dinner every night, eating vegetables with all meals, adding in 3 days a week of exercise of at least 30 minutes -- but just one at a time, not a huge change from where I was, and then I'd add to it when that was down.

Figure out what the most important changes are. If you are drinking a bottle of wine a night, that might be one to start with.

Structure is, for me, really important. Plan in advance what breakfast will be, make it easy, have everything ready to go (or even make it in advance). Have a plan for lunch and dinner and everything available to make it easy. Start with small changes. Tell yourself why you are doing it and write down what worked and didn't and how you feel at the end of the day.

Just some ideas from what worked for me.
  • CryingBlue
    CryingBlue Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Yes. Little over 4 years ago I lost 40 pounds. I felt awesome. I was only 20 pounds away from my goal.
    Then my gallbladder failed me and I gained all that weight back in 9 months.
    It took me a long time to get the right tools to work on getting the weight off again.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Yep, been there, done that. Statistically, most of us will do the same. You just have to dust yourself off, figure out what derailed you, and get back to it. It's hell thinking, every time you hit a certain mini goal, that you already hit that one two years ago but you'll get over it. Just keep thinking towards progress. I recommend re-setting your starting weight to what it is now, reset your goals, and keep moving forward. You can do it!
  • WatchitBeginAgain
    WatchitBeginAgain Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I can take 55 and raise you 130. Yeah, I have been there, at least 2 times before, multiple time sat the 50 or 60 lb level. The say only 1 in 700 women and 1 in 1,300 men can actually keep the weight off. So you are not alone. I am down 30 pounds today though, and I think this time, I am going to try to for a weight loss surgery. My goal is to lose a lot of weight, go to Mexico, get a Gastric Sleeve, and then see if that doesn't help me maintain.
  • grethell1231
    grethell1231 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't have advice for you because I could have written your post without changing one word. Literally! I lost 55 lbs exactly and have gained it all back over the last 3 years. And the bottle of wine a day, yep, that's my culprit too (though I try to keep a"no wine weeknight" policy). But now I just dropped off my oldest in college and my youngest is a jr. in high school, so I think it's time regain control of my life.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I've lost nearly 50 and gained nearly 5 back. Yes, it's not much but a frightening trend.
    I'm hoping at first to stop the gaining, then go back to losing.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    I restarted by just logging. No expectation of eating at a deficit. No expectations of anything besides just logging. For me, the act of logging helped me make more nutritious choices, and when my nutrition improved I found the strength to start a small deficit and begin exercising.

^ This.
    I think it's overwhelming to think about what it will take to get back to where you were. Start small. Every day that you make an effort is worth it. Take each decision one at a time. Make a good one. Tackle the next one when it comes up. And don't be too hard on yourself.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I "misplaced" ~ 65 lbs in 2015, managed to find them plus an extra 10 during 2016-2017. Eventually, I started caring enough again to reign in my bad habits, and start the process over again.

There's no magic to it, just get back on the horse when you fall off, try to be better today then you were the day before.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Yep, I've been there. I've lost and gained the same 30lbs over and over in the last 4 years. For me, having an exercise/fitness goal helps. I got back into running charity 5ks and some 10ks and that keeps me jogging to train for them and when I exercise it generally helps me want to make/log my food as well. You don't have to exercise to lose weight, however for me the exercise/logging/staying within calorie goal goes hand-in-hand for me. Good luck and welcome back!
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the messages folks, very helpful!
  • amjo2693
    amjo2693 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I also could have written your post. It took me three years to lose 40lbs. I met my husband about two years ago and have since gained a little over 50lbs. Many days, I have the intentions of logging my food, eating healthy, and getting in some exercise but it all seems to go out the window by the time I'm home from work. I've met with a nutritionist, but have continued to gain weight despite her suggestions. Last night, I planned out all of my meals an snacks and logged them in to MFP. That seemed to work for me in the past, so I'm promising myself that I can stick to my plan today and then take it one day at a time.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose as much (about 30) but gained back 40 and just started working on it again. I keep reminding myself that it is healthier to yoyo than to just stay at the higher weight and every time I start again I'm not starting from scratch. I remember what habits/strategies worked best last time and which to look for new ones.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I lost about 60lbs (from 232 to 176lbs) in about 12-16 months back in 2013-14. Then due to knee surgery and 60-70hrs work weeks for about a year or so, I wasn't as active and gained back 30-35lbs.

I was complacent with my weight gain and kept rationalizing that I was "still 25lbs less than I was". But that lie only got me so far. I started getting frustrated with my body, how I felt, etc. So I used that frustration as my motivation to get back with the program.

I knew what worked for me, so I just started doing the work again. In the last 60 days, I have lost 8.4lbs and can see "Onederland" from here. I currently weigh 203.4 as of this morning and plan to be under 199 by December 1.

What helps me to most is to get active. When I get active (walking, hiking, cycling), I physically feel better. I am more aware of my body (yeah, a few aches and pains to remind me that I'm using my muscles again). Once I "feel" healthier, I tend to want to eat healthier and become more aware of what I put in my body.

Consistency, consistency, consistency (and a caloric deficit) are key!
  • vherrere123
    vherrere123 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I feel you.
    Two years ago I lost 20 pounds from a 160 to 140. Then, I got a new stressful job and ballooned to 180. Here I am day one again
  • brianna3152
    brianna3152 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I lost 83 lbs in 2013-2014 and I gained it all back D: Now due to health issues (stubborn GERD and plantar fasciitis) I have to lose the weight AGAIN :( The struggle is real.