Foodie, what is the best way to control it?

Options
So, I have identified my problem. I love food!

Replies

• cwilber1
    cwilber1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Me too! So many colors, smells, textures, recipes...... ugh! Why can't I love knitting or skiing or anything as much??
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    cwilber1 wrote: »
    Me too! So many colors, smells, textures, recipes...... ugh! Why can't I love knitting or skiing or anything as much??

Have you tried cultivating other interests? Meaning trying it more then once? Knitting has so many colors, textures, patterns, and you get clothes or stuff for your house or presents to share with others. Plus your mind and hands are too busy to eat. Similar things can be said of skiing or many other activities!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    I realized I didn't get heavy by eating "garbage food". I got that way by eating really good "foodie type" foods but my portions were out.of.control.

Portion control is your friend on this journey.
  • shirleyanngaut
    shirleyanngaut Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Stick to your daily calories, be sensible with portion sizes and you can't go wrong. I can't even have a glass of wine nowadays without measuring it
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I love food too! Cooking tasty meals helps me to spend time thinking about food without eating it all the time.
  • ismith1024
    ismith1024 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great tips! I am really trying to do the meal prep and keep those portions the right size.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Tip: if capable and willing, being more active means eating more.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I'm a foodie, too. I love to cook, I love to eat, I love to read about food. Food is my hobby! So how do I deal with that while practicing CICO? I have just added calorie counting into my planning and this allows me to use things like heavy cream without guilt.

Address it like a puzzle using the food diary. Here's last night's quandries: How can I have a dill/mustard/sour cream/cream sauce on my pork cutlets tonight? Have green beans as a side instead of dressed peas. Don't make buttery parsleyed potatoes to go with just roast the potatoes in a bit of seasoned olive oil. Have "schnitzel natur" instead of the breading the cutlets. That way we could slather the mustard cream on and chase the last of it around the plate with that final green bean.

We can still eat heavenly food, just less of it. We can still play with our food, just with calorie numbers in mind. I've lost 32 pounds since June doing this. I plan to continue for the next 111 pounds and then into maintenance. Being a foodie is not necessarily a sentence to obesity!