Dont you need less cals once you start losing weight?

Options
I thought that once you started to lose weight you would have to reduce the amount of calories you have each day. On another website I've used, this is the case. Is it possible to lower your calorie allowance other than putting up your rate of loss.

Does anyone know how to do this?

I'd be grateful for any answers

Replies

• sspetersen
    sspetersen Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes, but this site will not update your calorie goal automatically. From the "My home" tab click on goals at the top. It should automatically populate the most recent weight you have logged. Then save and it will update your calorie goal.

GL!
    Steph
  • arhzon
    arhzon Posts: 150
    Options
    When you lose a certain amount of weight, the program will drop you to a lower amount. Mine didn't do this until I had lost about 20 pounds.
  • jhutch2011
    jhutch2011 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Go into Goals and update all your information...after you do this, it will change your daily calorie intake.
  • skylar1907
    skylar1907 Posts: 156
    Options
    every 10lbs you lose MFP will prompt you to reset your goals and will lower your calorie goal if you keep the weekly loss goal the same.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I thought that once you started to lose weight you would have to reduce the amount of calories you have each day. On another website I've used, this is the case. Is it possible to lower your calorie allowance other than putting up your rate of loss.

Does anyone know how to do this?

I'd be grateful for any answers

Yes, as you lose weight you will probably require fewer clories to lose weight. Particlarly if you have lost a lot of weight.

All you can really do is monitor you rate of loss. After you've lost 25-30 pounds you'll probably need to drop calories but that depends on if you are were vastly undereating in the first place.

If you were a 300 pound dude an you at 1700 calories a day and lost 50 pounds you probably are still undereating.
  • kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    Yeah, you have to update your goals and it will update your calories. Mine usually drop about 10 calories per day per lb lost.
  • lindalou0703
    lindalou0703 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I am at the lowest calories they say is safe. So how could I lower without getting in the unsafe range?
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Hate to be the lone dissenter, but I have heard that upping your calories will help you lose weight. I upped mine (I've lost weight, but I've also been so sick all I've been able to swallow is ice cream so don't look at me for proof)
  • lbgano
    lbgano Posts: 234
    Options
    Irrelevant but funny: I'm not wearing my glasses and I first read this topic as "do you need less CATS once you start losing weight?" and I was all, "noooooooo, don't dis your cats just because you're getting all hot and stuff!!"
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person. I started out beginning of June on MFP..my doc had me on 1200 calories. A month later..and 7 pounds down..she increased it to 1500..but I had to do it gradually. She did this cause she had no idea that I would be working out 6 days a week. So sometimes..increasing actually helps to lose weight..that is if you are exercising. Once I lose all my weight and am maintaining..I will be at 1700 calories/day
  • lindalou0703
    lindalou0703 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Irrelevant but funny: I'm not wearing my glasses and I first read this topic as "do you need less CATS once you start losing weight?" and I was all, "noooooooo, don't dis your cats just because you're getting all hot and stuff!!"

That really made me laugh out loud.... It would be so something I would do :)
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Hate to be the lone dissenter, but I have heard that upping your calories will help you lose weight. I upped mine (I've lost weight, but I've also been so sick all I've been able to swallow is ice cream so don't look at me for proof)

That only works if you were serverly undereating in the first place. I was doing that for quite a while as well and now I eat about 400-500 calories more and lose 2-4 pounds per week lately.
  • dee8112
    dee8112 Posts: 4
    Options
    The fact is a human female should never go below 1200 cal. If she is doing excercise at least 3 days a week she should increase to 1500 cals a day. A human male should not go below 1500 cal. If he is doing excercise at least 3 days a week he should increase to 1700. If male or female are doing vigorous excercise 5-6 days a week, calories should aways be raised.

No brag, just fact.
  • lucky1304
    lucky1304 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    The fact is a human female should never go below 1200 cal. If she is doing excercise at least 3 days a week she should increase to 1500 cals a day. A human male should not go below 1500 cal. If he is doing excercise at least 3 days a week he should increase to 1700. If male or female are doing vigorous excercise 5-6 days a week, calories should aways be raised.

No brag, just fact.

This is the point that keeps messing me up though. 1500 calories a day when eating exercise calories? Or in addition to exercise calories? I'm a female on 1200 calories a day. Running five days a week. Eating all my running calories back. I've spent a good portion of the day trying to determine if I'm eating too many calories or too few, but I'm not getting anywhere. Every post I read just takes me in a different direction. :)