Motivation for reaching goal weight?

Options
I've went from 320lbs down to 184lbs. I'm 5'7". I look in the mirror and I'm happy with what I see and have been maintaining this weight for several months now. My goal weight is still 34lbs away. I would like to reach my goal, but I don't feel DETERMINED anymore because I finally like what I see in the mirror.

I love pushing my limits with exercise and building muscle, endurance, flexibility and I'm determined to continue with that, but the weight loss aspect has left me apathetic. I want to reach my goal weight, but can't find it inside myself to make it a priority when I'm okay with the way I look now.

Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone have any words of encouragement or advice to get me past this mental plateau? I still love exercising and I still eat healthy, but I haven't been pursuing my goals in terms of weight loss. Does anyone have any advice (other than remaining at the weight I am)?

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Have you taken any diet breaks? I'd be tempted to take some time off, enjoy the healthier you, then get back at it. Two weeks is a number I've heard suggested as a minimum. But if you can manage to maintain from now till January 1, and restart when the rest of the world is amped up about resolutions, that might be a good plan too.

Congrats on that 136lbs weight loss though. That's a stunning accomplishment!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    If you like what you see in the mirror, maybe your goal weight isn't really your true goal anymore. Take a maintenance break. Think about your fitness and if you have any new goals there. Run faster, lift heavier?
  • Lisa8823168
    Lisa8823168 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Yes...congrats. I know that has been a long haul and doing it with both exercise and food control is a lot of work. I did not loose your outstanding amount, but by taking a long time to get where I am and still need to do more...I get it. The struggle is real!

What I ended up doing was two fold. I bought myself an amazing dress-splurged-went expensive- in the size I think I would wear at my goal weight. Generally, you are able to figure how many pounds be size drop...and you history certainly speaks to some of that. There was no way I could wear it when I bought...but I really loved it! It could be a pair of designer jeans or a bikini...what ever you invasion and highly desire to look and feel like that total knockout at your goal weight.

Second, I set a goal for muscle mass. Not body builder style but I wanted to see some appropriate defined abs. Could be another body part for you...but the main point is that to get definition, you have to keep reducing the fat tissue. It was not so much a tape measurement, but a picture in my mind of what I wanted to see in the mirror. You might find a pix of someone that inspires you. Look for someone who represents your vision. Print and post it in that mirror.

Both these gave me incentive...and along the way I kept trying on that dress...how far away am I ???? Month after month, I could get that zipper closer and closer to zipping. It became a better tracker than my scale...

When I reached that size...I could also see those abs in the mirror. So empowering.
  • ashleyallossery
    ashleyallossery Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes...congrats. I know that has been a long haul and doing it with both exercise and food control is a lot of work. I did not loose your outstanding amount, but by taking a long time to get where I am and still need to do more...I get it. The struggle is real!

What I ended up doing was two fold. I bought myself an amazing dress-splurged-went expensive- in the size I think I would wear at my goal weight. Generally, you are able to figure how many pounds be size drop...and you history certainly speaks to some of that. There was no way I could wear it when I bought...but I really loved it! It could be a pair of designer jeans or a bikini...what ever you invasion and highly desire to look and feel like that total knockout at your goal weight.

Second, I set a goal for muscle mass. Not body builder style but I wanted to see some appropriate defined abs. Could be another body part for you...but the main point is that to get definition, you have to keep reducing the fat tissue. It was not so much a tape measurement, but a picture in my mind of what I wanted to see in the mirror. You might find a pix of someone that inspires you. Look for someone who represents your vision. Print and post it in that mirror.

Both these gave me incentive...and along the way I kept trying on that dress...how far away am I ???? Month after month, I could get that zipper closer and closer to zipping. It became a better tracker than my scale...

When I reached that size...I could also see those abs in the mirror. So empowering.

I've been working so hard at getting toned and it's there. I'd love to see what it would look like under the chub. I have clear definition in my arms and have a very small ab line. I tried buying clothes for my goal weight but I'd already fallen in love with having a new warddrobe.

I would love to see the muscle definition that I've worked so hard for. Thank you so much for your advice (everyone!) I'm going to print this out as well. This was exactly what I needed to hear.
  • creatureofchaos
    creatureofchaos Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Book yourself a beach vacation. That would motivate me!