CrossFit or MMA

Options

Replies

• curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    MMA is more useful in life.

so your more likely to stand across a ring from someone who follows rules than you are to pick up and move heavy things?

• Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    lsutton484 wrote: »

so your more likely to stand across a ring from someone who follows rules than you are to pick up and move heavy things?

Knowing how to defend yourself is quite more important than doing kipping pullups.

Do you want to fight about it?

(Just kidding you.)
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

this is absurd.

on any given day I'm far more likely to need to lift/pull/carry something heavy, or otherwise exert myself physically, than need to engage in fisticuffs. From a risk management perspective, over the course of my life I'm also far more likely to find myself in a situation where my physical strength and cardiovascular conditioning will save my life than my prowess at punching and kicking.

Crossfit isn't about learning to do kipping pullups. Kipping pullups are about engaging your entire body in a simple exercise AFTER you've gotten to the point where strict pullups are so easy they become pointless, or just simply to put up big numbers in competition. Kipping pullups are to crossfit what the speed bag is to boxing.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Crossfit is for the week and untrained eye ;).
  • MilesAddie
    MilesAddie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Before I did CrossFit, the MMA person would beat me up easily.

Now that I’m a CrossFitter, I’m confident that I would still get beaten up easily, but at least I have a chance to get away from him or her by running away, getting myself on top of something to get away, or putting enough things in between us that it’s not worth their time!
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    palmerc19 wrote: »
    CrossFit or MMA, what’s your take on one or the other or both!

Heck, if you have the time and money, do both.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Okay, now that this has gotten testy and interesting, I have to weigh in.
    Crossfit has the social element. When you go in to do Crossfit you are working both with and against the group. People there are (generally) emotionally supportive but they push you harder, like a personal trainer does.
    That is nice, and it is really good for getting better.
    MMA workouts, as far as I know, do not have that. I suppose ultimately it will come down to you competing against another guy, and you will push yourself a little harder than you would otherwise because you want to beat that other guy. But you'll have to really be lucky to find someone that you are truly competitive with in workouts or in sparring. (In one on one competitions, usually the same person always wins. Over time, that gets a bit demoralizing for both.)
    With Crossfit, the competition is built into the group workout so it is intrinsic, and it is in a group, so that there should naturally be someone at about your same level that you will feel competitive with, if that is your nature. The exercises are varied enough that you might be good at one thing and the other person at another.
  • jdlobb
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    Okay, now that this has gotten testy and interesting, I have to weigh in.
    Crossfit has the social element. When you go in to do Crossfit you are working both with and against the group. People there are (generally) emotionally supportive but they push you harder, like a personal trainer does.
    That is nice, and it is really good for getting better.
    MMA workouts, as far as I know, do not have that. I suppose ultimately it will come down to you competing against another guy, and you will push yourself a little harder than you would otherwise because you want to beat that other guy. But you'll have to really be lucky to find someone that you are truly competitive with in workouts or in sparring. (In one on one competitions, usually the same person always wins. Over time, that gets a bit demoralizing for both.)
    With Crossfit, the competition is built into the group workout so it is intrinsic, and it is in a group, so that there should naturally be someone at about your same level that you will feel competitive with, if that is your nature. The exercises are varied enough that you might be good at one thing and the other person at another.

Everything here is the exact reason I enjoy Crossfit so much. Also, it’s just a really freakin efficient and effective form of exercise
  • FatPorkyChop
    FatPorkyChop Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    MMA!
    Crossfit is very boring to me, you feel seconds after seconds the intensity of the workout...
    While MMA is more fun, goes fast and will turn you in a fit machine...
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I can’t speak on MMA vs Crossfit but I can give an opinion on Crossfit vs a structured compound lift program. I find lifting barbells has made me stronger in a shorter time than Crossfit would have. Crossfit would have increased my endurance more. Thing is I can run a structured training program and push a sled or do Tabata battle ropes, kettlebell swing, or rower for less money.

Now Crossfit does have a good social environment. It was nice for classes I tried, but I lift angry and alone. I get all my frustrations out in lifting and I found it annoying to have to deal with others. If you would thrive in social environment Crossfit might be good for you.
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    I have never done crossfit, and do one aspect of mma only. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is amazing. Full body workout, teaches you self defense (especially how to defend yourself as a woman) and the most amazing community to be part of. Yes, you are fighting against your partner in training, but it is a trust based fighting, where you tap before injury and your partner lets go. But honestly, you need to try various things and find what works best for you!
  • VeggieBarbells
    VeggieBarbells Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    palmerc19 wrote: »
    CrossFit or MMA, what’s your take on one or the other or both!

Both... For me I like the variety and pushing boundaries.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Niether. Crossfit is for the weak and is a cult, and MMA doesn't do something something, so the best alternative is a Planet Fitness membership.
  • jdlobb
    Options
    Okiludy wrote: »
    I can’t speak on MMA vs Crossfit but I can give an opinion on Crossfit vs a structured compound lift program. I find lifting barbells has made me stronger in a shorter time than Crossfit would have. Crossfit would have increased my endurance more. Thing is I can run a structured training program and push a sled or do Tabata battle ropes, kettlebell swing, or rower for less money.

Now Crossfit does have a good social environment. It was nice for classes I tried, but I lift angry and alone. I get all my frustrations out in lifting and I found it annoying to have to deal with others. If you would thrive in social environment Crossfit might be good for you.

It's pretty debatable if a lifting only program will build strength better than CrossFit. Lots of powerlifters also do crossfit, and lots of CrossFiters are also competitive powerlifters. A significant portion of the CrossFit methodology is centered around improving ones ability at olympic lifts.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Niether. Crossfit is for the weak and is a cult, and MMA doesn't do something something, so the best alternative is a Planet Fitness membership.

Are you sure?
    I do like purple dumbbells.....
  • jamespatten3576
    jamespatten3576 Posts: 71 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »

this is absurd.

on any given day I'm far more likely to need to lift/pull/carry something heavy, or otherwise exert myself physically, than need to engage in fisticuffs. From a risk management perspective, over the course of my life I'm also far more likely to find myself in a situation where my physical strength and cardiovascular conditioning will save my life than my prowess at punching and kicking.

Crossfit isn't about learning to do kipping pullups. Kipping pullups are about engaging your entire body in a simple exercise AFTER you've gotten to the point where strict pullups are so easy they become pointless, or just simply to put up big numbers in competition. Kipping pullups are to crossfit what the speed bag is to boxing.

Your argument is absurd as well. You're going to do plenty of lifting, pulling, and carrying in MMA training too, and you'll get plenty of cardiovascular training as well. As to which is more useful in life, that's going to vary from person to person.

Why can't both be good? Doesn't it really come down to what you enjoy? I find fight based training fun and I don't get bored. Does that make MMA better? Nope, but it's better for me. Will the fighting be useful in the real world? Probably not, I'm getting old, that crap hurts, and the legal ramifications are a freaking nightmare.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    It's pretty debatable if a lifting only program will build strength better than CrossFit. Lots of powerlifters also do crossfit, and lots of CrossFiters are also competitive powerlifters. A significant portion of the CrossFit methodology is centered around improving ones ability at olympic lifts.

Going to disagree. If you are looking for endurance or general fitness yes completely agree. But with a structured lifting program, your specificity will be toward strength gains and not split with other goals. Time in the gym is centered on a more narrow pursuit and recovery is spent on that also.

Not a knock against Crossfit. I think it is pretty damn good at general fitness but not as efficient at strength training as many other programs. Powerlifters and Oly lifters add Crossfit to gain this endurance training. If they started in Crossfit they likely had to add additional strength training to be competitive in a different sport.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Going to disagree. If you are looking for endurance or general fitness yes completely agree. But with a structured lifting program, your specificity will be toward strength gains and not split with other goals. Time in the gym is centered on a more narrow pursuit and recovery is spent on that also.

Not a knock against Crossfit. I think it is pretty damn good at general fitness but not as efficient at strength training as many other programs. Powerlifters and Oly lifters add Crossfit to gain this endurance training. If they started in Crossfit they likely had to add additional strength training to be competitive in a different sport.

Agreed. There isn't enough frequency with specificity programmed for crossfit alone to progress faster than powerlifting alone when we are talking strength.

Crossfit is more random in lifts programmed.. Some would say crossfit it more of a exercise than a training program.

• MilesAddie
    MilesAddie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with that argument - specialized training is going to lead to better results for those specific exercises. If I was to train using a program like Stronglifts for 5 months, I’m sure my Squat, DL, and Strict Press would surpass my Squat, etc from 5 months of Crossfit. People that focus on traditional strength programs are going to be stronger.

Just like if I was to train with a running program, I’m sure my 5k time would be a few minutes shorter than if CrossFit was my primary exercise program.

Where I personally believe the real benefit of CrossFits training comes in though, is that after 5 months the person doing CrossFit would not only be able to run a 5k with a decent time, but they could also put up some relatively heavy numbers with their compound lifts.

For myself personally, after 5 months of CrossFit I could DL 355 pounds and Squat 260, run a 5k in 23 Minutes, and Clean 190 pounds. I weighed 162. I know those numbers aren’t exceptional by any means, but I think they are good for 5 months without specializing.
  • jdlobb
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Agreed. There isn't enough frequency with specificity programmed for crossfit alone to progress faster than powerlifting alone when we are talking strength.

Crossfit is more random in lifts programmed.. Some would say crossfit it more of a exercise than a training program.

you may build to that top strength FASTER on a dedicated program, but if you're talking long term, CrossFit will get you to the same place or very very nearly close to it, with other benefits as well.

Consider this. 2 identical people. One person does strict powerlifting training for 6 months, then stops and does strict cardio/endurance training for 6 months.

Another person mixes powerlilfting and cardio for a year.

At the end of the year, do you think both will be in the same place with both their powerlifting and their endurance?

Hey, if you want to get the most lifting gains in the next year, by all means, just lift. If you cardio gains are all you care about, just run. If you want to be an all around fitness freak and have the highest possible level of overall fitness you can achieve, Crossfit is going to be the fastest way to get there.

Personally, I do crossfit workouts 5-6 days a week, and supplement them with focused strength training. Lots of people do that. Treat CrossFit as the "base" and then supplement with the specific areas they want, whether that's powerlifting, endurance, or agility.