Call the cops or nah?

Options
crackpotbaby
crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
Neighbors 2 houses down and across the street have been having shouting matches on and off all day.

About 20 mins ago it escalated. It ‘sounded’ (from my place 2 houses down and across the street) that it was getting violent.

Or maybe they were just slamming doors or breaking plates. Although I’m sure I heard the guy say ‘I’ll ******** kill you’. There was a sound I imagined to be someone thrown up against a wall.

Either way, I was waiting for something more definite that things were out of hand to see if it needed to be reported. I mean, people are allowed to yell and scream and argue. Hell, my partner and I have had epic arguments.

But it’s gone quite now.

Wait and see?

Mind my own business?

Report the possible domestic violence situation?

I feel weird about the whole thing.

Replies

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I'd call and report it.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Happened in my neighborhood. Guy died. She had a silencer.
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    Yes, call the cops.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I would report it; I always ask to remain anonymous because I am fearful of retribution. Our PD is good about checking it out; "we've had some complaints about noise..."
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,833 Member
    Options
    You could save a life by reporting! In this case anyway!
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    I'm bad about this, always want to stay out if things. But better safe than sorry.
    Please let us know what happened.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    Call the cops...you may be helping someone in a horrible situation, or if they are just loud arguers they should know that it is disturbing and worrying the neighbours.

It could save someones life, or at very least let them know that their level of noise is not appreciated
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    lizery wrote: »
    Neighbors 2 houses down and across the street have been having shouting matches on and off all day.

About 20 mins ago it escalated. It ‘sounded’ (from my place 2 houses down and across the street) that it was getting violent.

Or maybe they were just slamming doors or breaking plates. Although I’m sure I heard the guy say ‘I’ll ******** kill you’. There was a sound I imagined to be someone thrown up against a wall.

Either way, I was waiting for something more definite that things were out of hand to see if it needed to be reported. I mean, people are allowed to yell and scream and argue. Hell, my partner and I have had epic arguments.

But it’s gone quite now.

Wait and see?

Mind my own business?

Report the possible domestic violence situation?

I feel weird about the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWdD206eSv0
  • sw33tp3a1
    sw33tp3a1 Posts: 5,065 Member
    Options
    I have called the police on many of my neighbors. I have no tolerance for domestic abuse. Whether is verbal or physical it's not right. You don't need to dial 911. You can call the police station non-emergency number in your town and they will send an officer to check things out. You can always stay anonymous.
  • crackpotbaby
    Options
    I called the local police station.

I haven’t heard anymore drama since the most disturbing little session.

The police said, thanks - they’ll look into it. Maybe they do, maybe they just make a note.

Hopefully it’s nothing and I over reacted.

Thanks for the advice, people.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    You will feel better that you have called. Better safe than sorry.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options

The police said, thanks - they’ll look into it. Maybe they do, maybe they just make a note.

On a deal like that I would thing its better to overreact then under react,,,,It just might keep someone from getting hurt .
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Being 2 houses down and across the street and being able to "hear" it, you should be able to see any police car that pulls up. I mean.... I can't hear construction next door but you must be able to hear something 2 houses down and across the street somehow. I'm sure there is no way you are using a "trigger" word to work people up. Hope everything works out and you get what you are looking for.
  • crackpotbaby
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

Being 2 houses down and across the street and being able to "hear" it, you should be able to see any police car that pulls up. I mean.... I can't hear construction next door but you must be able to hear something 2 houses down and across the street somehow. I'm sure there is no way you are using a "trigger" word to work people up. Hope everything works out and you get what you are looking for.

Sorry, huh?

The house where the noise was from is on the corner of the street at right angles to mine. My house is over the road and 2 houses in.

It’s mid afternoon on a Sunday here with a temp of around 28 Celsius. Everyone including me has their windows, doors etc open.

The yelling and banging was pretty bloody loud, hence my concern.

Not sure why I’m justifying this to you. Sorry if you find this topic ‘triggering’.

• Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Did some one say Tigg_er ?

7hmdo4ydgi71.png
  • crackpotbaby
    Options

Sorry, huh?

The house where the noise was from is on the corner of the street at right angles to mine. My house is over the road and 2 houses in.

It’s mid afternoon on a Sunday here with a temp of around 28 Celsius. Everyone including me has their windows, doors etc open.

The yelling and banging was pretty bloody loud, hence my concern.

Not sure why I’m justifying this to you. Sorry if you find this topic ‘triggering’.

I just don't understand because if you were concerned for someone's safety why would you go on the internet to ask if you should do something that would help someone before doing something to help someone?

But that's me. If my neighbors were hashing it out I wouldn't wait to call the police if I thought they might hurt one another. I would want someone to help them as soon as possible.

Yeah but if your neighbors were ‘hashing it’ out you probably wouldn’t notice given you can’t even hear the construction next door, right?

I’m pretty sure my previous posts outlined why I wasn’t sure if it was the right thing to do given maybe they were just yelling and banging around but maybe there was an element of violence.

Sometimes a random internet opinion (or a few) can help when the people you normal ask advice of are unavailable (my husband and kids are away camping, my bestie is working and thus not available to act as my ethical sounding board).

You must have greater confidence in your judgment that I do. Good for you! I’m sure you always do exactly the right thing in a timely manner. You can instead use the Internet for sacastic disbelief rather than advice. That must be really nice for you.

To the people that prompted me not to ignore a suss situation, thanks again. Who knows if it made a difference or was even necessary but at least it’s now handed over to people qualified to assess the situation.

Cheers.