programming progression for BW lifts

Options
jjpptt2
jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
I'm a big believer in the philosophy of Wendler's 5/3/1 program, both the simplicity of it and the programmed progression of the lifts week to week and cycle to cycle. But how do you build in similar progression for body weight lifts, especially if BW is near your working max weight?

Specifically, pull-ups. Let's assume I can do 5 sets of 3 (I might be able to do 3 sets of 5, but I'm not sure... I'm just getting back in the gym after a long layoff). Pull-ups have always been one of my favorite lifts, and I'd like to start making some systematic progress with them.

TIA.

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Increase volume instead of weight over time. Either by increasing reps/sets or a combination of both. For pull-ups I usually set a rep goal for the session and take as many sets as I need to reach that goal.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,989 Member
    Options
    When you max out on reps/sets at your BW (and believe me, you can), use a weighted vest to increase and vary your weight.

I have a BW routine which involves doing 5x20 push-ups, 5x12 pull-ups and 5x15 dips. That's my max sets/reps, not because I can't do any more than that but because doing more is simply time consuming and boring.

I use a weighted vest to add resistance and difficulty doing the same routine. My vest maxes out at 75# but only used +25# so far. I could easily add and do more but that's not my primary objective.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    Increase volume instead of weight over time. Either by increasing reps/sets or a combination of both. For pull-ups I usually set a rep goal for the session and take as many sets as I need to reach that goal.

Thanks, that makes sense.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »

This or doing a certain number of reps at the top of each minute. You can extend the time out, (more sets) or try to do more reps each minute.
    Another thing that works great for pullups is pyramids. (I believe it's also called the fighter protocol)
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    My husband started training up with pull ups by doing his max in a row, resting, then going for a second set. Then he started adding an assistant band to help once he had completely burned out his natural pull up number. So.. say he could do 5 perfect pull ups and failed on number 6. He would rest, try again, maybe get 3. Then he would rest, maybe get 1. Then he would grab the assist band and maybe get 4 more (but at a lower weight). With this technique I think he went from being able to do 4 at a time to something absurd like 12.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    The big advantage of BW, is that if you've got the equipment you have more flexibility with frequency. IF you can do 5 pullups for 3 sets, do that in a session then every hour or other hour do 2-3 or maybe just 1. Pullup bar by the bathroom. Do 1-2 every time you pass it.

Volume/GTG(grease the groove) is key to BW.

Keep an eye on your volume and set max/min daily goals. with 5x3. Maybe 30-45 as a daily goal on your "training days" and 10-25 on off days.

Play with it.

When I'm doing pushup/situp training. I'll figure out my current max session reps and do 1/2-1/3 3-5 times daily for 3-4 weeks coming up on a test with daily increases of 1-2 per session... Usually I manage to at least double, and sometimes triple that first session max work. with just a couple weeks of seemingly no work.

With bodyweight exercise Pushup/pullup/Pistol, it's the first 3-5 that are hard. after that it's daily volume that matters not session volume.