Are you personally hungrier when doing cardio or strength training?

I have been doing a lot more strength training with weights lately and although I burn fewer calories than my cardio workouts I find I am A LOT hungrier.

Was just thinking about this past few weeks and was wondering if anyone else is like this or if they are the other way around. I always though cardio would make me more hungry since I am burning more calories lol.

Replies

• aganey
    aganey Posts: 501 Member
    I get way more hungry doing cardio. It’s so bad! Don’t get me wrong, I get hungry with strength too, but not like cardio.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,466 Member
    Only when I do a lot.

Today, for example, I did a 12.6 km hike. I was hungry when I finished!! But if I do a short 5 km walk, it's not bad.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    edited November 2017
    My hunger is more in relation to intensity of the exercise rather than calories burned or type of exercise.
    A hard weight training session, short (well shortish...) higher intensity cardio sessions both create hunger far in excess of calorie burns.
    Long duration (multi-hour cycle rides), moderate intensity cardio with high to very high calorie burns creates very little hunger.

So 250 (approx) cals of weight training or 700'ish cals of hard cardio = eat everything.
    Thousand and upwards of calories burned from long cycle rides = missed lunch, not bothered.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Lifting makes me much hungrier but the hunger is usually delayed until the next day.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Lifting makes me so hungry while cardio suppresses my appetite. If I've done an intense cardio session I literally have to you're myself to eat.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Swimming, which is probably a mixture of the two does it to me.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Lifting made me hungrier at first; I changed my macros (more protein/less carbs). That seemed to help until my body adjusted. I lift with much more intensity than I cardio-ed.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Lifting makes me hungry the next day. Running makes me ravenous right away.

Power walking for miles and miles doesn't make hungry at all even though I keep my brisk walking consistent. I love that!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,997 Member
    Exercise doesn't make me any more hungry than normal.

I always exercise on an empty stomach in the morning or at least a couple of hrs after I've eaten during the day.

I don't feel the need to eat anything immediately after working out. The only thing I might want is a drink of water.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Lifting makes me hungrier. I wonder if it has anything to do with muscle repair?

I only do 30 minutes of cardio 3 times a week - so nothing crazy long there.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    The day after I lift, I'm ravenous. I usually have a sour stomach after cardio and don't feel like eating for a few hours...I don't notice a change in my overall hunger though.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,492 Member
    Yes I also notice it is usually the day after I lift when I am ravenous not the actual day. I just noticed my hunger levels are generally higher lately since I have been lifting 3-5 days a week in place of my usual 90 minutes of cardio.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,492 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Exercise doesn't make me any more hungry than normal.

I always exercise on an empty stomach in the morning or at least a couple of hrs after I've eaten during the day.

I don't feel the need to eat anything immediately after working out. The only thing I might want is a drink of water.

I am never hungry right after a workout either. Usually the next day or later in the day is when it hits. Thats why I've never understood why so many people are all "we have to get our post workout smoothie/bar/meal" after a fitness class lol.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    When I was in a deficit I calorie cycled and ate quite a bit less on my cardio/rest days, and on lifting days I increased the cals. So I guess lifting for me, but not super significant.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Lifting and normal cardio make me a little hungry. Maybe lifting a touch more if it’s a heavy day. Long runs? Omg. Runs longer than 10-12 miles make me hungry like I’ve been on survivor island for 6 months.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    strength training
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    jesspen91 wrote: »
    Lifting makes me much hungrier but the hunger is usually delayed until the next day.

this is mostly me too. i used to get post-deadlift hungries more reliably than i got the doms. that's been flattening out a little but my brain still seems to be expecting that pattern. so more recently, i do something that doesn't involve deadlifts, and then get all wtf the next day when i realise i'm hungry enough to eat someone's pets anyway.

• VeggieBarbells
    VeggieBarbells Posts: 175 Member
    edited November 2017
    Yes I also notice it is usually the day after I lift when I am ravenous not the actual day. I just noticed my hunger levels are generally higher lately since I have been lifting 3-5 days a week in place of my usual 90 minutes of cardio.

I'm the same.... next day increased hunger after lifting. The more intense the lifting session, the more hungry I am. If I just go through the motions, then it doesn't impact my hunger at all.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Intensity makes me hungry. A long ride and I don't feel it, but a short hill repeats ride or a MMP test and I'll eat everything in sight.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Strength training!